Author Topic: REVIEW: The Sport of Tyrants (by Glen Sprigg)  (Read 932 times)

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
REVIEW: The Sport of Tyrants (by Glen Sprigg)
« on: January 22, 2009, 10:32:30 AM »
The Sport of Tyrants
by Glen Sprigg

Reviewed by Harri Polsa

This is a quickie for those who enjoy traditional fantasy, with first level characters, and some nice combats. For a while, it was actually refreshing to fight against giant rats, swinging thin air for most of the time, but only for a while... :) I played the game with the included party (a note to authors, when you include premade parties in your games, please inform the player whether it is an optional or required party), and found the combats quite balanced and nicely challenging (Am I going soft? I am saying good things about combats...)

The plot? Uh, it's there. It's short, but it's there. The party upsets some local ruler, and the ruler in question doesn't like it. He throws the party into dungeon, promising them freedom if they find their way out. I'm not sure where, but I believe I have heard that before...

The strength of the game is in writing. Some of the descriptions are quite nice, though one 'monsters attack!' had somehow slipped in there. :) The writing is more of the 'traditional' fantasy type, people giving long, noblish speeches and so on, which is not my favourite style, I have to admit. But this was a short design, and I finished it before I was beginning to get annoyed, so I suppose that was a good thing. :)

I found one bug. In the ending, one item variable is not set properly, and we get strange messages, both the 'good' and the 'bad' endings (spoilers prevent me from saying more at this point). Also, the game didn't 'end', it just left us standing there, which allowed me to hit the endgame spot again, and read the events which were not set to 'happen once only' again. A minor cosmetic issue, but left me wonder why it was handled that way.

A note, this design -almost- fits into the 'vanilla challenge' rules (guidelines, whatever...).
« Last Edit: January 29, 2009, 06:20:27 PM by Olivier Leroux »
LANDS OF ADVENTURE: An Old-School Style CRPG

More Information Here: http://landsadventure.blogspot.com/

Offline PetrusOctavianus

Re: REVIEW: The Sport of Tyrants (by Glen Sprigg)
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2016, 09:07:19 AM »
This was a nice little module set in some unknown place of Forgotten Realms.
Not very original, but well written.
Combat and loot was balanced, and my party of lvl 1 characters ended their quest for freedom with about 3,500 XP each.

My only complaint was with the ending. All was set for an epic two part battle, first with the Tyrant's cannon fodder of Goblins and Orcs, and for the final battle with the Tyrant himself, the last of his minions and with allies on my side. But the second battle never happened; instead the party is led to safety by one of the allies. I felt robbed of my dessert.
I assume this was done so that the party would face the Tyrant in the promised sequel, but it doesn't look like it was ever relased, which makes the ending all the more annoying.

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2016, 11:00:02 AM »
The sequel was never fully completed, but Glen Sprigg released it as an "unfinished module," so it's available for play.  It's called "The Tyrant of Terrendar" and you can get it here:

http://frua.rosedragon.org/pc/modules/unfinished/terren.zip
« Last Edit: January 21, 2016, 11:01:38 AM by ProphetSword »

Offline PetrusOctavianus

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2016, 12:00:17 PM »
Thanks for the info.
Too bad it was not completed. Judging by the number of files in the Zip I imagine quite a lot of work must already have been put into it.

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2016, 12:28:02 PM »
Here's the thread discussing it, where Glen said he was planning to finish it (all the way back in 2009).  I guess it didn't pan out:

http://ua.reonis.com/index.php?topic=189.msg1804#msg1804

Offline PetrusOctavianus

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2016, 12:45:49 PM »
Thanks again for the info.
I always Google the designs I play, narrowed down to the ua.reonis.com domain, but for some reason none of this comes up when Googling "Sport of Tyrants".

Let's hope Mr. Spriggs eventually do finish the module.