Author Topic: Continuing Characters  (Read 1774 times)

Offline carlq

Continuing Characters
« on: September 05, 2009, 12:41:30 PM »
I'm a huge fan of Ray Dyer's Realm series, and one of the high points of the series for me is the ability to take the same party through successive mods, watching them increase in power and experience. I recently recovered a Word file I'd created when first assaying the Westlands adventures, which detailed the backgrounds and personalities of my starting party, included notable events in their histories (such as the finale of "Early Winter, Fires of Spring", in which my Paladin, Lady Armida, was the victor and last survivor of the final battle, with ONE hit point remaining, after which she dragged her party back to civilisation for healing), and a mod-by-mod timeline of their adventures. It also includes allies and major enemies encountered (and their ultimate fates) in each adventure, magical items recovered, and a separate list of notable weapons and shields, each of which was named by their owners (yes, I'm that anal).

An I the only one who gets this involved in the lives of his party? Does anyone else have a favourite character or party they use regularly (either sequentially, or by creating them anew for every adventure you try)? Care to share some details?

Carl Q.
"Real life"? That's just for people with no imagination.

Offline Rosestar

• Keeper of the Blue Kitten
Re: Continuing Characters
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2009, 04:32:59 PM »
I'm a huge fan of Ray Dyer's Realm series, and one of the high points of the series for me is the ability to take the same party through successive mods, watching them increase in power and experience. I recently recovered a Word file I'd created when first assaying the Westlands adventures, which detailed the backgrounds and personalities of my starting party, included notable events in their histories (such as the finale of "Early Winter, Fires of Spring", in which my Paladin, Lady Armida, was the victor and last survivor of the final battle, with ONE hit point remaining, after which she dragged her party back to civilisation for healing), and a mod-by-mod timeline of their adventures. It also includes allies and major enemies encountered (and their ultimate fates) in each adventure, magical items recovered, and a separate list of notable weapons and shields, each of which was named by their owners (yes, I'm that anal).

An I the only one who gets this involved in the lives of his party? Does anyone else have a favourite character or party they use regularly (either sequentially, or by creating them anew for every adventure you try)? Care to share some details?

Carl Q.

|sf>I don't type out stuff on a text file, but I do have a favorite set of characters.  It tends to include my main ranger, Randy (the leader and voice of reason for the group), the cleric Kimberly Cure (sometimes rumored to be a run-away younger princess who loves a certain 'evil oriented' fighter), and especially the rather vocal half-elves, Heather Hawk and Misty.  The latter three started all the way back in some of my PoR parties, while Randy began in CaB. 

The only completed module I've uploaded to include the characters was Blue Kitten, but there have been a few unfinished FRUA modules containing at least some of the characters.  Out of those unfinished modules, there's only one module that I would really wish to complete.  The other incomplete story ideas were 'bad ideas' which didn't let the characters shine (or allow Heather Hawk to virtually steal the show, depending upon your interpretation). 
---
Suzanne M. Ferree
  ev322@netzero.net

Offline hans

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2009, 08:53:47 PM »

Perhaps, as an author, I've taken that urge to another level... 

The majority of my mods have pre-generated parties (if often only a single PC).  So, instead of keeping my protagonists' lives and adventures a personal, private experience, I immortalize them in their own, full, UA stories.   :P

Offline nologgie

• Non-resident Non-expert
  • Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2009, 01:53:52 AM »
  I've never kept a diary for myself or my characters, but I think it can be a good idea. I have a standard party of three humans (Paladin, Ranger, Cleric) and three elves (two fighter/magic users and a fighter/magic user/thief). I started them at first level, but saved them to different folders within a Gallery directory based upon their experience level at the time. (0, 10k, 24k, 40k, etc., all the way up to near max) Their equipment varies greatly, having been acquired in different adventuring worlds. Some of the higher level versions are actually equipped rather poorly, considering their experience level. The variants in the Realm subdirectory have a much more standard progression.
  Regardless of level or equipment, they're still my squad. They have personalities, and the occasional quirk, but never let such things interfere with a mission. They can heal, cure, protect, rescue, and provide shelter and sustenance to others, but realize their survival depends upon being highly skilled professional killers. If they were otherwise, I'd have replaced them long ago. (Although since they're imaginary characters I built to specs, they never had much of an option.)
Some days it just doesn't pay to gnaw through the straps.

Offline Ray

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2009, 06:33:40 PM »

Wow, that's so awesome to hear about, Carl! 

I do have four specific groups that I've cycled through since the Gold Box games.  When I get one to a certain level, it's usually time to bring up the next.  Over the years, I've come to feel like they're part of the family.  In terms of writing stuff down, I tend to go for the narrative approach. 

There are a couple of journals that folks posted on the mailing list that I've uploaded to the Realm site.  The ones from Cellie are mine, but the others come from different players.  Outside the Realm, I wrote the tale of my characters' adventures through Darius' AWESOME Ship of Horror conversion.  That one was posted to a UANewsletter, I believe. 

For the most part, I write stories set in my own version of Ravenloft, which my players have been kicking around in since the game was first published.  The links from the Realm site head over to the Missed site, as well as Ergosia and the Vagabonds--both of which led into the Missed.  I've written a few novel-length stories based on the NPCs in that campaign.  Not exactly the same as writing for FRUA, but still writing things about D&D characters and events.