Author Topic: Oriental Adventures Worldhack v1.3 Release  (Read 8031 times)

Offline hans

Re: Oriental Adventures Worldhack v1.3 Release
« Reply #30 on: May 24, 2012, 09:06:31 PM »
While beginning playtesting of Yukionna, I seem to have discovered a bug in this version of OAUA (menu screen date: 28-sep-2008).  One of the Combat Dungeon tiles is misplaced in assembly, and over it is superimposed one of the fireball Combat Sprites.  It always appears on a short vertical wall (between two "doors" or clear horizontal corridors) in the middle of that wall.  A screencap is attached below. 

I cannot duplicate the bug in an older version (the previous, I believe -- menu screen date: 21-dec-2004). 

Can anyone else verify that this is a v.1.3 bug?

Offline Krys Tamar

• Prince of Vagabonds
    • Taer Campaign
« Reply #31 on: May 24, 2012, 09:31:52 PM »
Uh...we can delete this post. :\  [slaps forehead]
« Last Edit: May 24, 2012, 09:34:00 PM by Krys Tamar »

Offline GoldBoxFan

• "We need more cowbell."
« Reply #32 on: May 24, 2012, 09:58:48 PM »
Some of the wallsets have 3 doors at long range instead of one, also.

Offline hans

« Reply #33 on: May 29, 2012, 03:25:11 PM »
Besides the above "fireball in the wall" bug, which may or may not have originated from the latest version of OAUA, a couple of other things I've noticed: 

When any NPC that I've created is in the party, if I use the ^ to incorporate their name into a line of text, the text will have spaces after the name, even tho I didn't add blank spaces after naming the character.  For example:  I might intend the text to read "Then Ryo, using karate, knocked the ninja out." but it comes out as "Then Ryo     , using karate, knocked the ninja out." 

I go to check the NPC's name in the editor, and, sure enough, there are blank spaces after the name.  So I remove them thru the use of the backspace key, and resave.  However, next time I check, the blank spaces have returned. 

Likewise, I can remake an NPC into a different class than was the default, but OAUA doesn't save the all the changes.  That is, I can select a level in the editor and save, but I go back and the level is blank.  I created a couple of samurais, too, who can't use their samurai gear because, in game, they are "wrong class."  So, it seems that, even tho the current character screen calls them "samurai," some previous NPC information is refusing to go away.

Offline Darius

• Darius' Unlimited Adventures Domain
« Reply #34 on: June 09, 2012, 06:49:05 AM »
Hi hans,
I can confirm that the "fireball in the wall" bug originated in v1.3.  I believe it was Olivier who discovered that a while back and I was able to recreate it in 1.3 but not in earlier versions. 

The issues with the Monster (NPC) Editor are very odd and that I've never seen before; then again I don't think I've yet utilized an NPC in an OAUA adventure.  It may have something specifically to do with the character file record of an NPC and the fact that levels and drained levels were all reconfigured in OA to accommodate the additional classes.  I had spent some time trying to create a quasi 1.25 version that was just a revert to 1.2 with a few of the safer additions, but the problem is that 1.2 still had some of the biggest bugs in it (Temple Fix, Do Good) and 1.3 has so many good things that would have to be abandoned.  Honestly I was considering starting over and rebuilding the whole thing into DC at one point, but then you have to start over with all the art...

Anyway, I am thrilled to see you finished another module and I will be playing that this weekend if I can.  I still have plans for Twin Dragons III and IV though I haven't started working on anything yet.  The desire is there, but the time is not.   :sad11:

Offline hans

« Reply #35 on: June 09, 2012, 02:50:28 PM »
Hi hans,
I can confirm that the "fireball in the wall" bug originated in v1.3.  I believe it was Olivier who discovered that a while back and I was able to recreate it in 1.3 but not in earlier versions. 

Ah.  As I thought, then. 

It could pose a major visual distraction.  It doesn't really matter in my mod, tho.  Folks can play it in 1.3 with no big whoop.  In the future, care could be taken in putting together walls without the triggering end corner, as a workaround, I expect. 

The issues with the Monster (NPC) Editor are very odd and that I've never seen before; then again I don't think I've yet utilized an NPC in an OAUA adventure. 

I expect that there are simple enough workarounds with this bug.  Perhaps creating an NPC in an older version of OAUA and copying from that...?  Although I found this bug while working on Yukionna, it really doesn't pose a problem in this mod, either.

I still have plans for Twin Dragons III and IV though I haven't started working on anything yet.  The desire is there, but the time is not.   :sad11:

Still good news, in my book, no matter how long of a delay.  Two mods for me to look forward to!   ;D