Poll

What resolution would you use to create designs for Dungeon Craft?

640x480 only
8 (61.5%)
800x600 only
0 (0%)
1024x768 only
2 (15.4%)
two or more
2 (15.4%)
I didn't know you could change resolutions
1 (7.7%)
Whatever the default is because changing resolutions is too hard
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Author Topic: POLL: Dungeon Craft Screen Resolution  (Read 2323 times)

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
POLL: Dungeon Craft Screen Resolution
« on: July 03, 2009, 03:58:44 PM »
Paul and I are working on some issues concerning screen resolution for DC. We would appreciate any feedback you can give us. :)

We're concerned about a presentation issue, don't worry, we're not going to limit any options. :D

Offline nologgie

• Non-resident Non-expert
  • Dungeon Craft Tester
Re: POLL: Dungeon Craft Screen Resolution
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2009, 04:08:50 PM »
I picked the lowest, but I might go one up. I'm out here in the boonies on dial-up, and the hi-res & mp3s use lots of bandwidth.
Tom
Some days it just doesn't pay to gnaw through the straps.

Offline Olivier Leroux

• Administrator
  • Yip, yip, yip!
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2009, 04:30:43 PM »
I voted for the lowest, too, probably because it's the closest to UA (don't expect big steps from me; I need some time to get used to innovations, I'm getting old  :D ). And font esthetics might be an issue for me again, with the higher resolutions...

Besides, the higher the resolution, the more difficult it will be to find usable high quality pictures that are big enough, and the more artistic skills will be required of the designer to make it look good.

On the other hand, it might also depend on the quantity and quality of the available pre-made graphics. Right now, I think, most stuff (I like) was created for the lowest resolution, so it would be easier to use that.

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2009, 04:57:07 PM »
I felt going into this that there were going to be 3 issues that would aim a designer towards the 640x480 resolution and you gentlemen listed off all of them. :)

Olivier, you've given me another idea, and soon as I can figure out how to articulate some options, I'll put up a poll about preferred artistic styles as well. :D

Offline Vix

• Mmmm ... Spider Slushies!
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2009, 06:24:31 PM »
I voted earlier for 2 or more because i have not played with the engine much. But as DC is aiming to be a semi-clone (enhanced) of FRUA, I think aiming for the two lower resolutions would be best.

Offline Rosestar

• Keeper of the Blue Kitten
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2009, 09:43:19 PM »
 |sf>At the moment, I'm only using the lowest resolution with the program. 

I don't have the default artwork in my DC downloads to be able to use the higher resolutions, so the program won't let me use the higher resolutions.  The text file in DC says something about downloading the higher resolution default artwork from the Magic Mirror, but it fails to explain which zip(s) I need or where I put them. 

On the other hand, when it comes to art I've created, I've been experimenting with photographic art.  That means in most cases I can create higher resolution versions of the art without much problem.  Granted, I'm limiting my creation skills to Walls, Overlays, and Combat Dungeons for the time being.   
---
Suzanne M. Ferree
  ev322@netzero.net

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2009, 11:16:53 PM »
The default art for the two higher resolutions is available at SourceForge in our downloads section.

There are only actually 4 files required if you didn't want to download the whole thing for some reason - areaviewart.png, mapart.png, overart.png and config.txt specific to the resolution. These files go in a sub-folder of the DefaultArt folder named either 800 or 1024 depending upon which resolution. :) The areaviewart, mapart and overart files are already in the base DefaultArt folder and the config.txt files are available in the CVS repository through our SourceFroge download page.

Downloads of art packs:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/uaf/files/

Config.txt files:
http://uaf.cvs.sourceforge.net/viewvc/*checkout*/uaf/UAF/DefaultArt/1024/config.txt?revision=1.17

http://uaf.cvs.sourceforge.net/viewvc/*checkout*/uaf/UAF/DefaultArt/800/config.txt?revision=1.14

These resolutions use a different wall set and backdrop set, but the small pictures/portraits are the same. The sprites were different, but these larger resolution sprites will be shrunk to come in the 640 release, too.

Suaznne, I believe the reference to files at the Magic Mirror is for FRUA conversions (which have only been done for 640). But, there are some other graphics there as well, but all are for the 640 resolution, or don't matter which res they are for.

Personally, I prefer 1024 to work in, which is why the resources on my homepage are for that resolution. I did just recently make smaller versions of all the walls for use in 640 based on a request. :) I haven't put up more art, because there hasn't been anyone showing interest at this resolution, and all of my personal projects use non-dtandard formats for everything (I use a different viewport size and shape and different dimensions for frames and big pics).
I think photo-based art or 3D rendered art lends itself very well to the higher resolution afforded at 1024 - it gives you a chance to really show off the details. :D But, to do something like Uatu or Dinonykos do, well that would be a lot harder as there are a lot more pixels to fill. ;)
« Last Edit: July 04, 2009, 07:17:03 PM by manikus »

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2009, 11:49:58 PM »
640x480 seems decent enough for creating designs.  The picture quality is much better than UA, most of the default artwork available is for that resolution, and it requires less system resources (which, I admit, isn't much of a problem these days, but we have to think of people who might be trying to play the designs on older computers...so it should be able to run on something that can also run UA).

The artwork looks pretty good at 640x480.  I'm sure one could argue it would look better at a higher resolution, but for the purposes of the engine, everything looks pretty good.  But, maybe that's because I'm used to the low resolution offered by UA.  Having double the amount of pixels is enough for now.
LANDS OF ADVENTURE: An Old-School Style CRPG

More Information Here: http://landsadventure.blogspot.com/

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2009, 09:05:10 AM »
I agree that the art for 640 is good. :) Uatu, Ziroc and Dinonykos have done some wonderful stuff.

For me it's about style of art being used. If one is using a more photorealistic style, as in photos or 3D renders, I think the higher resolution works better. While doing a hand-drawn style may work for 1024 as well, I don't think it will really look any better than at 640, and it's 4 times as many pixels. :D That's why all my hand-drawn stuff is limited to icons. ;)

Where resolution comes into play the most is in windowed mode. FRUA graphics don't look that bad in a 320x200 window. :) But, theyare too small for my liking. As I hope that we can have the option to play DC in a window by version 1.0,  I feel a bit the same about 640. The developers have a debug version of the engine that runs in windowed mode which is much more convenient for testing. The graphics actually look better, becuase they're not being stretched, but they're smaller.

It's all just personal preference I guess. :) None of the resolutions are going away, and 640x480 will remain the default. :D We just want a sense of how big of a deal it is to designers to be able use other resolutions. I think I'm getting a pretty good sense of that so far.

Offline Rosestar

« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2009, 09:41:03 AM »
The default art for the two higher resolutions is available at SourceForge in our downloads section.

There are only actually 4 files required if you didn't want to download the whole thing for some reason - areaviewart.png, mapart.png, overart.png and config.txt specific to the resolution. These files go in a sub-folder of the DefaultArt folder named either 800 or 1024 depending upon which resolution. :) The areaviewart, mapart and overart files are already in the base DefaultArt folder and the config.txt files are available in the CVS repository through our SourceFroge download page.

Downloads of art packs:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/uaf/files/

Config.txt files:
http://uaf.cvs.sourceforge.net/viewvc/*checkout*/uaf/UAF/DefaultArt/1024/config.txt?revision=1.17
http://uaf.cvs.sourceforge.net/viewvc/*checkout*/uaf/UAF/DefaultArt/800/config.txt?revision=1.14

These resolutions use a different wall set and backdrop set, but the small pictures/portraits are the same. The sprites were different, but these larger resolution sprites will be shrunk to come in the 640 release, too.

Suaznne, I believe the reference to files at the Magic Mirror is for FRUA conversions (which have only been done for 640). But, there are some other graphics there as well, but all are for the 640 resolution, or don't matter which res they are for.

Personally, I prefer 1024 to work in, which is why the resources on my homepage are for that resolution. I did just recently make smaller versions of all the walls for use in 640 based on a request. :) I haven't put up more art, because there hasn't been anyone showing interest at this resolution, and all of my personal projects use non-dtandard formats for everything (I use a different viewport size and shape and different dimensions for frames and big pics).
I think photo-based art or 3D rendered art lends itself very well to the higher resolution afforded at 1024 - it gives you a chance to really show off the details. :D But, to do something like Uatu or Dinonykos do, well that would be a lot harder as there are a lot more pixels to fill. ;)
|sf>The art files installed (even though I had to remember to change the file path), but the config links gave me a 404 error. 
---
Suzanne M. Ferree
  ev322@netzero.net

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2009, 12:41:21 PM »
|sf>The art files installed (even though I had to remember to change the file path), but the config links gave me a 404 error.

Interesting...SourceForge just redid their site. I will have to post those files some place else, as they apparently no longer allow direct linking.
But, if you downloaded the art packs, they contained the respective config.txt files. :)

Offline Donnie Ewald

• Administrator
    • Ego's Abode
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2009, 01:40:32 PM »
Greetings manikus!

You could always upload them to Rosedragon.  There's a nice directory all ready for DC stuff.

Offline Rosestar

« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2009, 07:10:13 PM »

Interesting...SourceForge just redid their site. I will have to post those files some place else, as they apparently no longer allow direct linking.
But, if you downloaded the art packs, they contained the respective config.txt files. :)

|sf>Actually, I had to quit the computer very, very quickly before I could reply a second time.  The link actually does work (to view the file) if you copy and paste it into the browser.  It's the actual link coding that was messed up. 

Earlier, I decided to download the entire art packs and those art packs include both proper config files.  I haven't booted up DC yet to make certain that everything works, but the config.txt appears to be the same as your example. 
« Last Edit: July 04, 2009, 07:14:57 PM by Rosestar »
---
Suzanne M. Ferree
  ev322@netzero.net

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2009, 07:13:03 PM »
Greetings manikus!

You could always upload them to Rosedragon.  There's a nice directory all ready for DC stuff.
Good idea. :D
Let me get my ducks in a row. :) i will definitely upload them to Rosedragon, and I'll be sticking them on the DC website as well.

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2009, 07:14:11 PM »
|sf>Actually, I had to quit the computer very, very quickly before I could reply a second time.  The link actually does work (to view the file) if you copy and paste it into the browser.  It's the actual link coding that was messed up.

Okay, let's try this again. I wrote a response, posted it and only the quoted part showed up...

I've edited the above so that the links work. I typically don't bother with the bbcode for links, since the forum handles them automatically, but these were too long apparently. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction, Suzanne. :)

Just to be on the safe side, I will still go ahead and upload them to Rosedragon and put them on the DC website. :D
« Last Edit: July 04, 2009, 07:21:57 PM by manikus »