Poll

Which type of floor do you prefer to see in a FRUA Combat Dungeon?

I like it as simple as possible to make the icons easier to view, preferably a solid color.
1 (7.7%)
I like to see a few minor details mixed into a solid color, like the default FRUA combat floors.
1 (7.7%)
I like a simple floor pattern of two or three colors, maybe with a little pattern.
4 (30.8%)
I prefer complex patterns, as long as you can still tell where the walls are.
0 (0%)
I don't care what the floor looks like, as long as I like the combat dungeon walls.
1 (7.7%)
I don't tend to use any indoor combat dungeon art.  Can I have a survey on Wilderness Art?
0 (0%)
I want a combat dungeon floor that matches my level's floors and a combat dungeon wall that matches my level's walls.
6 (46.2%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Voting closed: September 26, 2009, 11:55:45 AM

Author Topic: POLL: Combat Dungeons: Fancy Patterns or Keep it Simple?  (Read 2795 times)

Offline Rosestar

• Keeper of the Blue Kitten
Re: POLL: Combat Dungeons: Fancy Patterns or Keep it Simple?
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2009, 02:05:36 PM »
I chose a floor with a simple design of 2 or 3 colors.

I really enjoy creating custom combat icons, and I rather like to be able to see them clearly, so I usually stick with a gray-tone or darker colored floor in order to add clarity to the combat icons' appearance.  I have to say, however, that playing Hans' designs (and Darius' conversions by proxy) shows me that my fear of being unable to differentiate colors isn't too well-founded.

To the original poll, Rosestar:  I remember this before, and I would suggest the same that I do:  create the wall first with a solid color floor, then modify the floor.  Upload both versions: the solid floor for designers to modify, and the completed for immediate use by designers.  You do amazing work with dungeon combat sets, and the more choices the better!  :)
|sf>Actually, I've been throwing around the idea of looking at backdrop files (especially the default FRUA ones) and creating combat dungeon floors that use the default icon colors which could then be pasted into nearly any default-wall-shaped combat dungeon so a designer could "custom build" their backdrop floors onto the combat dungeon walls that are in-use for that floor.  It's probably not something I'd complete in the near future though.   

In the combat dungeon designing phase, there have been some occasions where I actually completed the floor before the combat dungeon walls.  Regardless of the order, it's still fairly easy for me to paste in blank floors using templates (as long as the dungeon wall is the standard shape). 

Another event that influenced this survey was my recent replay of my Worm's Eye module.  I created that on a whole other monitor in a lower resolution.  One of the solid-colored combat dungeon floors was so dark that some of my skinny worm characters blended into the background.  Even the existence of a solid color doesn't mean that icons are easily visible.  I recall Hans having this 'darker colors' fear about some of his own artwork several years ago when he'd switched monitors. 
---
Suzanne M. Ferree
  ev322@netzero.net

Offline Iranon

Re: POLL: Combat Dungeons: Fancy Patterns or Keep it Simple?
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2009, 04:58:04 AM »
I like a compromise best... a few details are nice but they shouldn't become a hassle. For example, I toned down the white floor tiles from the marble dungeon to a dark gray because the stark black&white one took something away from the combat icons and made the map harder to read than necessary. Still looks a lot better than a solid floor.