Author Topic: PREVIEW: Module in Progress  (Read 4150 times)

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
Re: PREVIEW: Module in Progress
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2009, 03:06:52 PM »
When CocoaSpud started DC, it was called UAForever. His original goal was to do everything FRUA did, so a lot of the "old" way of doing things was used. There was also the notion that size should still be kept to a minimum. It is still very much on the mind of the development team that we should make each release as small as possible...etc.

But, you make a very valid point. Elsewhere in these forums, there is a screenshot for a project I'm working on in the 1024x768 resolution and it only uses one graphic for everything. The drawback is that DC requires a graphic for each of the frame parts (they can be all the same graphic) and you have to change settings in the config.txt file to match what you see on screen.

Offline Olivier Leroux

• Administrator
  • Yip, yip, yip!
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2009, 03:39:16 PM »
Now, if it were possible to load no frame graphics at all and make it so that in this case the borders of the non-existent frame are invisible, to show only the background screen underneath it, we could cater to both approaches at once. You could then save space by using a frame but no background screen. Or use a background screen without a frame, for those of us who find it much easier to draw the frame where they want it instead of calculating and messing with the config.txt.

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2009, 04:06:21 PM »
You could always just set the frame sizes to 1 pixel. :)  This could be relatively easy done by tweaking the current config.txt settings.

There is no way (at present) of getting around loading something for the frames though. Maybe after version 1.0. ;)

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • Dinonykos Dungeon Craft
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2009, 11:23:45 AM »
Manikus, since you tried it already: What happens in the editor when you change the 3d view to a square instead of the default rectangle? Does the DC editor display the 3D view correctly, then?
Find four contributions to the Pre-Generated Character Mini-Module Design Contest on my homepage.
New: THE AMBASSADOR'S LETTER, my contribution to the 7-day-challenge.
DINONYKOS DUNGEON CRAFT DESIGN HOMEPAGE

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2009, 11:08:30 PM »
Manikus, since you tried it already: What happens in the editor when you change the 3d view to a square instead of the default rectangle? Does the DC editor display the 3D view correctly, then?

What do you mean by correctly? If by the correctly, you mean as well as the rectangle view, then yes. :) If by correctly you mean a true 3D experience, then no. ;D I'm just being snarky. If works fine.

Check out this thread, it shows my use of a square viewport.

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • Dinonykos Dungeon Craft
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2009, 03:52:48 AM »

Yep, but what about the editor? There is also the 176x211 3Dview window. Is it automatically adjusted?
Find four contributions to the Pre-Generated Character Mini-Module Design Contest on my homepage.
New: THE AMBASSADOR'S LETTER, my contribution to the 7-day-challenge.
DINONYKOS DUNGEON CRAFT DESIGN HOMEPAGE

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2009, 11:20:04 AM »

Yep, but what about the editor? There is also the 176x211 3Dview window. Is it automatically adjusted?

The editor is not controlled by the config.txt file, only the engine. Depending on what size the square viewport is there are different issues with the 3D preview window. I spend a lot oc time using CTRL-T to jump into testing mode to see that the new wall is working correctly (once I'm familiar with the art, I don't need to do it as much).