Author Topic: PREVIEW: Module in Progress  (Read 4155 times)

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
PREVIEW: Module in Progress
« on: June 15, 2009, 12:11:43 AM »
I just thought I'd show a few screenshots of a small module I'm working on for DC.  I'm doing it to learn all about DC, find bugs, and to put something out there for the engine in the hopes that it will reach 1.0 soon.

Don't expect much from the screenshots, though.  They just show work in progress.

[attachment deleted by admin]
LANDS OF ADVENTURE: An Old-School Style CRPG

More Information Here: http://landsadventure.blogspot.com/

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
Re: PREVIEW: Module in Progress
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2009, 12:14:53 AM »
Bug Report #1:
One of the things I've noticed (and it's obvious in these pictures) is that if you install a new frame set, it doesn't seem to match at the bottom of the small frame around the picture.

If you look, you'll see that the frame is too low, and that there is now a black bar underneath the picture.

This has happened with every frame I have tried, but the original frame that came with DC did not have this problem.  So the issue is either:

1) All the frames I have are incorrectly aligned.
2) DC isn't importing the frames correctly.

If anyone else has this issue, let me know.

EDIT:
Looking back at Olivier's screenshots, I see that he too has the same issue with his frame.

Offline Jadefang

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2009, 12:51:01 AM »
Yea, I've had the frame issue. The game uses 204x239 for that frame, although the frames on Steve McDonald's site are 204x245. It's not a hard problem to fix by editing the image, though.

Offline Nol Drek

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • Nol Drek's Web Site
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2009, 12:56:58 PM »
Yea, I've had the frame issue. The game uses 204x239 for that frame, although the frames on Steve McDonald's site are 204x245. It's not a hard problem to fix by editing the image, though.

The space where the black bar is should be transparent, right?
"Into the Drachensgrab Mountains!"

http://www.noldrek.com

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2009, 02:26:20 PM »
Actually, the space where the black bar is should be covered by the bottom part of the frame.  It doesn't align correctly with the bottom.  If you look at the top, you can see they don't come together quite right.

Offline Olivier Leroux

• Administrator
  • Yip, yip, yip!
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2009, 02:49:52 PM »
The space where the black bar is should be transparent, right?
Actually, the space where the black bar is should be covered by the bottom part of the frame.  It doesn't align correctly with the bottom.  If you look at the top, you can see they don't come together quite right.

Interesting question though - why is it black and not transparent? So if someone would create an invisible frame would it show as a black frame then instead of showing the background screen underneath it?

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2009, 07:51:23 PM »
This is an interesting topic, and one I'm very happy to see. :) I love seeing screenshots for new designs. :D

I've also got some answers for the frame issue.

Jadefang has the gist of it. The frames on Steve's site are a different size than the default frame. Kaltusara's frames are the correct size, I believe.

The issue can be fixed by adjusting the image used for the frame, or the config.txt can be adjusted as well.

The transparency issue is all related to the config.txt file. Frames are not transparent in DC, but they may be hidden or configured to different sizes and places on the screen.

I also have a long-standing offer to help people modify DC graphics for their use.

Offline Nol Drek

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • Nol Drek's Web Site
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2009, 10:01:43 PM »

Oh, I see it now. You're frame around your small pic is 6 pixels too tall.

Also, is there a reason why the big "outer" frame is only 638 pixels wide? It leaves a gap of 2 black pixels on the right hand edge of the screenshot.

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2009, 11:20:30 PM »
Good eyes.  Didn't even catch that.

I downloaded the frame from a DC site and installed it.  I think it's really just a matter of the frame not quite fitting the program.  It probably needs to be adjusted.

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2009, 09:30:31 PM »
I looked at Steve and Kaltusara's frames and they are all 6 pixels too long...

I supect that it is all my fault. Once upon a time the default frame did not fit very well, it had ugly thick black lines above and below the small pic or 3D view. So, I fixed it. :) That was before either one of them put up their frames, so obviously I didn't publicize this as well as I thought I had at the time...

I never fixed the horizontal or vertical borders, though. I probably will before the next release. The issue is that it's not just a change of the artwork, but a change of the config.txt file. So, if when this future release gets used by a designer and they apply only one of the two new files to an old design, it will look weird, but I guess by only a couple of pixels.

I dont' think about it a whole lot, as I use my own frames and borders, not liking hte default 14 pixel width, instead prefering a 16 or 32 pixel width.

As a bit of DC trivia, when CocoaSpud was first working on the project, all art was FRUA art. But because FRUA is 320x300, it looks different than intended when played in the 4:3 aspect of modern computers. So, the artist at the time (maybe Ziroc) doubled the size of the original artwork to 640x400 and stretched it it to 640x480. That's why there were an extra six pixels. That's also why the 3D view isn't a square and making walls for DC is a lot messier than making them for FRUA.

If you're still reading, you are hereby rewarded with both of Steve's frames and half of Kaltusara's frames resized to the correct size. :)

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2009, 12:49:49 AM »
Woohoo!  I claimed a prize!

Offline Olivier Leroux

• Administrator
  • Yip, yip, yip!
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2009, 08:14:03 AM »
Even though I realize such changes would affect designs made before them, just out of curiosity: Wouldn't it be possible to use the whole space around the pictures/3-D view for the frame instead of just the borders? I don't know if you DC guys are familiar with Darius' Ravenloft frame but that's the kind of thing I'm thinking about here (see below). Of course, something like that could also be achieved by the other proposition I made, to have different background screens for exploration mode and character sheet because then we could use the background screen for exploration mode to enhance the frame.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2009, 10:40:16 PM by Olivier Leroux »

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2009, 10:00:10 PM »
We can absolutely change the size of the frame. :) And since it is done for that particular design, in it's own copy of the config.txt, it doesn't effect the other designs at all. Like I mentioned earlier, we can change border widths as well.. Also, this oculd go in the FRUA vs. DC thread, too, but we can have different borders for the 3D/character screens and the combat mode. :)

Offline Nol Drek

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • Nol Drek's Web Site
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2009, 11:41:29 AM »
I'm curious why Dungeon Craft has frames in the first place.

It seems to me that instead of having several different graphics (screen background, frame, horizontal bar, vertical bar) you could put everything on the screen background image.

Then you would have a single 640 x 480 as your screen background for 3D/exploration, plus another image of the same size as your screen background for combat.

FRUA used frames to save space. A small graphic repeated around the border takes up less space than a large image that fills the entire screen. DC doesn't have the same limitations.

Offline Olivier Leroux

• Administrator
  • Yip, yip, yip!
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2009, 02:37:30 PM »
I'm curious why Dungeon Craft has frames in the first place.

It seems to me that instead of having several different graphics (screen background, frame, horizontal bar, vertical bar) you could put everything on the screen background image.

Good point.  :-\

anything