Wight
1 (4.2%)
Ghost
0 (0%)
Mummy
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 14

Voting closed: June 06, 2009, 10:47:54 PM

Author Topic: POLL: Favorite Undead Enemies  (Read 3410 times)

Offline Vix

• Mmmm ... Spider Slushies!
  • Administrator
Re: POLL: Favorite Undead Enemies
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2009, 01:48:45 PM »
Ha ha!

You just described a scene from an NWN1 mod I was working on back when I played on the Engliton server. Whenever the server was down of full, I would open up a mini-server called Raivynn's Roost where people could pop in and hang out and try out new ideas I was working on.

I had a PvP maze with respawning minotaurs where we'd play death-tag and the demo area. And a level 40 monk chicken who would go all cluck-fu on you if it poked it too much. hehe

Offline Iranon

« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2009, 09:34:38 PM »
Vampires, thematically and for gameplay reasons: With a level-draining attack and a charming gaze, every round is a nail-biter. Unmodified Liches have the problem of being either overpowering (even one default Delayed Blast Fireballs with instant casting time rather than the canonical 7 can easily spell a total party kill) or irrelevant (primary caster without an initiative bonus from DEX... poke once a round and they're underwhelming).

Below this on the power scale, I'm fond of Wraiths because they make excellent random encounters even at medium to high levels: For a full-strength party, it's over quickly enough that it won't detract from the flow... but it'll make the players paranoid ('if my casters get KOd in a set encounter, this could get very ugly in a hurry...').

Offline hans

« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2009, 10:46:49 PM »
Everybody hates a Ghast, I guess, mostly because it has such a stupid sounding name.  But, a Ghast can say to Wight, "Hey, at least I made this poll's list!"   :P

Offline nologgie

• Non-resident Non-expert
  • Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2009, 11:03:24 PM »
  Perhaps because ghast sounds like a mispronunciation of ghost. (Downeaster Maine accent, maybe?)
  And when I hear 'Wight', I still think of Oliver Twist.
Some days it just doesn't pay to gnaw through the straps.

Offline hans

« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2009, 10:01:33 AM »
"Who has been beyond the wall of death to see? Only the wights, and we know what they are like."
--George R. R. Martin, A Song of Ice and Fire series, Book IV A Feast for Crows (2005)

Offline hans

« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2009, 06:43:32 PM »
I've never read the above book by Martin, I just came across that interesting quote.  So, I don't know the context, but its implications seem clear enough. 

It seems to me that if you were a person born in such a fantasy world as most of our games are set, it would be difficult to construct a reasonably coherent theology or cosmology.  There are so many different, often contradictory elements of the supernatural abounding.  It would truly be a scary place, and I wonder what the psychological effects would be on the average Joe there...   :o
« Last Edit: May 26, 2009, 10:51:42 PM by hans »

Offline nologgie

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2009, 08:40:31 PM »
(I wish I knew how to do that boxed-text reply thingy.)

I think they would be much like those today who routinely make use of technologies they can't begin to fathom. They might have notions, or even strong convictions, but most of these would be buried beneath the daily routine of getting by.

And those with clear insight might worship polyhedral dice.

Offline DesertScrb

• Another day, another dungeon.
    • Super Galactic Dreadnought blog
« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2009, 12:05:39 AM »

Click the button that says "QUOTE" on the upper right of the post you wish to quote.  The quoted message will appear after square brackets surrounding the words quote author and the message identifier and before another set of square brackets with /quote.  Delete any text you don't want to quote, and then type your response below the /quote that's in square brackets.

Offline nologgie

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2009, 01:35:55 AM »

Click the button that says "QUOTE" on the upper right of the post you wish to quote.  The quoted message will appear after square brackets surrounding the words quote author and the message identifier and before another set of square brackets with /quote.  Delete any text you don't want to quote, and then type your response below the /quote that's in square brackets.
Thanks!!!

Offline Nol Drek

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • Nol Drek's Web Site
« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2009, 10:41:36 PM »
Everybody hates a Ghast, I guess, mostly because it has such a stupid sounding name.  But, a Ghast can say to Wight, "Hey, at least I made this poll's list!"   :P

And the Wight can say, "I'm on the list now."

Then the Ghast and the Wight can both make fun of the Mummy for not being on the list.
"Into the Drachensgrab Mountains!"

http://www.noldrek.com

Offline Kaz-Keith

« Reply #25 on: May 27, 2009, 11:58:24 PM »
Heh I'm with ya Nol... I voted Ghoul and Lich as well, for pretty much the same reason on the ghoul:  that paralysing factor plays big among the low levels.  Besides, ghouls have always had a Lovecraftian touch in my mind: not-quite-human anymore, cannibalistic and necrotic... just... ick.

As far as liches go... all I can say is I'm not on Team Xykon for a reason.  :)

Nice to see Mummy made the list as well... time to blow a few hankies for the misbegotten and misplaced Thoul, however, red-headed stepchild of 1st edition mayhem and monster mashing... ah, 1st edition: just what were these guys smoking when some of this came to be, I wonder?  Part troll, part hobgoblin, part ghoul, and lots of dead adventurers.

Offline Vix

• Mmmm ... Spider Slushies!
  • Administrator
« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2009, 08:56:43 AM »
Team Xykon

Yay! Another OOTS fan!

Offline Iranon

« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2009, 12:51:22 AM »
Remove the text limit, and my designs willl feature Evan's Spiked Tentacles of Forced Intrusion...

Offline Ben J

• Keeper of the 44 quest variables
  • Dungeon Craft Tester
  • "See how I reward those who fail me!"
« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2009, 12:49:36 PM »
Remove the text limit, and my designs willl feature Evan's Spiked Tentacles of Forced Intrusion...
Ugh, how can you defend yourself against them? Chastity Belt of Protection +1?
Released designs:

The Sect

Offline Kaz-Keith

« Reply #29 on: May 31, 2009, 01:44:11 AM »
Ugh, how can you defend yourself against them? Chastity Belt of Protection +1?

Why, with the 'Gentle Cork of One-In-A-Million-Shot, Doc', 'course.  ( <-- credit to Cosmo Kramer :))