Dragon Shaman
0 (0%)
Duskblade
0 (0%)
Knight
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: April 30, 2009, 03:32:04 PM

Author Topic: POLL: Least Favorite D&D Class?  (Read 16159 times)

Offline Iranon

Re: POLL: Least Favorite D&D Class?
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2009, 07:41:45 PM »
That's the attraction of original and Basic D&D--choose one of the four archtypes and then roleplay how you want your character to be.  A fighter can be a grizzled veteran, a flamboyant swashbuckler, or a silent enforcer; it's all in the player, not the stat sheet.

*SNIP*

I will stick with the characters from 1st edition AD&D, thank you very much.

My sentiments exactly. Cramming in ever fancier variants essentially takes away flavour and validity from the 'basic' ones. It's also a nightmare for population dynamics... there simply shouldn't be enough decent-level characters in a given setting that we have a use for all of them.
D&D has always been about hard-and-fast rules, and those simply don't work too well with feature inflation.

Offline uydevotee

« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2009, 09:34:03 PM »
my warrior had 11 strength and a fauchard-fork
ohhhhh the encumberance....

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2009, 10:49:44 PM »
I guess it depends on your point of view.  The current version of D&D (counting only the original Player's Handbook) has the following classes available for play:

Cleric
Fighter
Paladin
Ranger
Rogue
Warlock
Warlord
Wizard

It isn't much bigger than the selection from previous editions and each of them is completely different. 

Where I feel things got destroyed was in 2nd Edition, with all the various kits...and with 3rd Edition with too many Prestige Classes.  And as I already pointed out earlier in this thread, you can no longer multiclass.
LANDS OF ADVENTURE: An Old-School Style CRPG

More Information Here: http://landsadventure.blogspot.com/

Offline DesertScrb

• Another day, another dungeon.
    • Super Galactic Dreadnought blog
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2009, 11:19:22 PM »
What are Warlocks and Warlords, and how do they differ from Wizards and Fighters, respectively?

Offline hans

« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2009, 11:49:18 PM »
I never played PnP, but IMO, it would have made things more interesting if certain classes could only have been filled by certain races (outside of the four basic classes, of course). 

For example, in UA if there had been a special miner class that was only available to dwarves, I might have added a dwarf to my party more often.  Usually, my parties have been almost entirely humans, with one exception slot usually filled by an elf or half-elf. 

It might also have made it interesting of there were classes that humans couldn't advance far in, but certain other races might.

Offline Vix

• Mmmm ... Spider Slushies!
  • Administrator
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2009, 08:12:20 AM »
A warlock is just another type of arcane magic user. In 4E, there are rules and powers that do differentiate the warlock from the wizard including special abilities due to pacts with various extra-planar entities and curses.

Sure, you can effectively role-play a warlock-style class using a wizard in other editions. Some of the effects which make the warlock different fro ma wizard would need to be worked out with the DM ahead of time.

A warlord is basically a fighter. Almost a paladin. They can only use chainmail or lower, most weapons, and they are basically battle leaders. I suppose the best explanation is they are a cross between a fighter and a cleric. They can engage effectively in melee, but most of their attacks and abilities are geared towards granting their comrades advantages or healing.

For example, one of their at-will powers allows them to direct an ally to make a basic melee attack against a target instead of making their own attack (assuming that ally is next to the target). Other abilities include being able to move your allies around the battlefield outside of their own movement turns (voluntary, of course).

4e is such a substantially different animal than previous incarnation of D&D it is difficult to convey how a class that is essentially part of an archetype can be very different.

Most of it comes from how combat is handled now. It would translate exceedingly well into a turn-based computer game.

It is much more MMORPG-like in how advancement, class roles, combat powers, and the like are handled. But the people who say there is no more role-play involved are mistaken or poor role-players. The numbers just allow you adjudicate things, what is done outside the numbers depends on the players.

Combat, however, is much more detailed than previous editions. Some like the increased tactical nature of it, others like a more free-style easy going combat system.

Classes also have roles: Leader, Defender, Striker, and Controller.  Some classes can fill multiple roles, other can be one or another. It can be complicated, but the roles are not a huge part of the game, more of a descriptive ideology to help play the character.

That all said, I think 4E might become bloated, and I do agree that most of the bloat can be approximated through role-play. And, overall, I feel the new edition is just a way to make money for WotC ... and I cannot blame them. They are a company with shareholders and will make products which have multiple revenue streams.

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2009, 10:18:57 AM »
Vix answered the questions pretty well. 

Due to the way that powers are given to classes now, every class is unique from every other class.  Even though they might share something in common (Fighter/Warlord/Ranger/Paladin = Fighting Types), they all bring something different to the table.

One of the best things about the Warlord is that he can actually spend the majority of combat doing things like helping his allies take extra attacks, move his friends into position for sneak attacks, or forcing his enemies against the wall, that he sometimes doesn't even take a swing with his own weapon.

The beauty of 4th Edition is that it promotes team play.

LANDS OF ADVENTURE: An Old-School Style CRPG

More Information Here: http://landsadventure.blogspot.com/

Offline Vix

• Mmmm ... Spider Slushies!
  • Administrator
« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2009, 12:08:12 PM »
It does promote teamwork. One of the benefits of playing it with my kids is they are slowly learning that working with each other, and knowing a bit about how the others' character works, is much easier than trying to fight like they were the only ones in the room.

It has gotten to the point, without direct suggestions by me, that the paladin takes on the single heavy hitters, the fighter (battlerager vigor ... he gets temp hit points from melee strikes or a special attack) handles the multiple melee mobs, the wizard, ranger, and rogue (halfling slinger, basically) try to take out casters and ranged.

The real benefit from this is I think they are learning teamwork for use in real life, too.

anything