3rd Edition D&D
0 (0%)
3.5 Edition D&D
2 (14.3%)
4th Edition D&D
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Voting closed: March 13, 2009, 01:57:03 PM

Author Topic: POLL: Favorite Edition of Dungeons & Dragons  (Read 2057 times)

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
POLL: Favorite Edition of Dungeons & Dragons
« on: February 27, 2009, 12:57:03 PM »
What version of Dungeons & Dragons do you like the most?  Pick one.

And before any flame wars start, this is not a discussion about which one is better versus another.  Just which one you prefer or play most often.  I think all editions are great (I've been a player and DM for every edition so far) and each has merits and disadvantages.  If you're going to post: "X Edition Sucks!" then save your breath.  We only want to know about the one you prefer and why you prefer it.

If you don't/haven't play Dungeons & Dragons, don't vote in the poll (though you can certainly reply to the thread...everyone is welcome here).  Although, playing a computer game with a specific version of D&D (like UA) counts as *sort of* playing it, so you can vote in that regard.

For myself, even though I love every edition of D&D, I'm going to vote 1st Edition AD&D, and here's why:

I learned to play D&D with this system.  There's something nostalgic about it, and just cracking open the books makes me want to pull out my dice and start rolling.  While I'm actually fine playing any edition, I would truly love to find a group of people who want to play AD&D the way it was played in the early 80s before we had rules that covered everything.  For me, it will always be the ultimate version of Dungeons & Dragons.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2009, 01:00:44 PM by ProphetSword »
LANDS OF ADVENTURE: An Old-School Style CRPG

More Information Here: http://landsadventure.blogspot.com/

Offline Paddi Whisperleaf

• World-spanning gnome of the UA realms
Re: POLL: Favorite Edition of Dungeons & Dragons
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2009, 02:08:39 PM »
I've played Basic, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 3.5.  I never played the original system, and I won't be playing 4th edition.  Not because I'm a version snob, but because I'm simply no longer playing anyway, and I've got enough books to last me an eternity of role-playing if I so choose for 3rd and the Mystaran system.  I voted for Basic, because it's what got ME started in D&D.  My first D&D experience was actually joining a group at the public library (back when D&D wasn't considered satanic; I'm really old).  They threw me a 9th-level half-elf ranger named Beek Gwenders and threw me into the deep end that was the Expedition to the Barrier Peaks.  Yeah, that was an interesting start to an RPG career.  Anyway, I ended up getting a copy of the basic rules, which helped a great deal, and I ended up collecting pretty much everything for that edition.  I've still got it, and it'll probably be the last stuff to go on eBay.

On the other hand, gnomes aren't a PC race in that version...
An amateur practices until he gets it right; a professional practices until he can't get it wrong.

Offline Vix

• Mmmm ... Spider Slushies!
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2009, 02:17:57 PM »
You forgot 2nd Edition Skills & Options.

I have played every version except 3.5. I enjoyed every version. I am immensely enjoyed 4E right now.

My favorite, for nostalgia, would be 2nd Edition. But, I absolutely LOVED when the S&O books came out. My group had been using a similar concept for years, and it was nice to switch to an official version of what we tried to do.

So, until and unless a 2.5 (S&O) option is placed, I voted 2nd. Ed.

Offline jrudy

• CodeHeaven
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2009, 04:32:51 PM »
I haven't played in forever, but I found 2nd Edition to be my personal favorite. I picked up the 3.5 books at Half Price last year and found the system to be ... confusing. Perhaps that's because I traditionally played with a subset of the rules, or perhaps that's because I was smarter as a kid -- maybe 2nd Edition was just as confusing, but familiarity bred understanding? I don't know.

I've glanced at the 4E books, but since I haven't a group to play with anyway ... Meh.

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2009, 04:56:03 PM »
You forgot 2nd Edition Skills & Options.

I don't think that qualifies as a separate "edition" of Dungeons & Dragons.  It's more like an addition or expansion.  It should be included under the heading of 2nd Edition for the purposes of this poll.

I did list 3.5 because it was considered to be a separate edition of D&D.
LANDS OF ADVENTURE: An Old-School Style CRPG

More Information Here: http://landsadventure.blogspot.com/

Offline JudgeDeadd

• There's a custom title box now?
  • A perfect day for a short walk around the world.
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2009, 05:17:36 PM »
And I did vote on 3.5 because I'm the most familiar with it and like the d20 system.
“For one who claims to be no more than an observer of this play, you’ve had more than your share of commentary, stranger.”

Offline DesertScrb

• Another day, another dungeon.
    • Super Galactic Dreadnought blog
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2009, 08:18:51 PM »
I voted for First Edition, because even though I started with the Holmes edition of Basic, I pretty much played 1st Ed. with all my friends, as well as in UA.

Offline Nol Drek

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • Nol Drek's Web Site
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2009, 09:32:36 PM »
OD&D is sort of... lacking... but then again it has Hobbits and Balrogs and Fireballs and regenerating Trolls and characters who advance in level based on Experience Points and it spawned a game that has lasted for 35 years, so it ain't all bad.  ;D

I cut my teeth on 1st edition, so I'll stick with that as my favorite. FRUA is 1st edition also.

3rd edition comes in a close second, because of the OGL and the wealth of modules and accessories that it spawned. Monte Cook's influence is also a plus.

2nd edition has some highs and lows. Night Below was a great boxed set. Gary Gygax is nowhere to be found. For me, it's a mixed bag.

It's too soon for me to tell how 4E will stack up.

So, I would rank the editions as follows:

1) 1E
2) 3E
3) 0E
4) 2E
5) 4E (insufficient data to rank it yet)
"Into the Drachensgrab Mountains!"

http://www.noldrek.com

Offline Krys Tamar

• Prince of Vagabonds
    • Taer Campaign
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2009, 01:53:29 PM »
I voted 3.5 because I'm very detail/reality oriented.  I like having the plethora of rules for various situations, the "positive" AC system, feats & ability bonuses.  Also, 3.0 was the first time that traditional "Gold Box" tactics (like guarding and whacking your opponents if they move away from you) were actually part of the rules.  I like 2E for the variety of priests, and the lack of is one reason 4E mergs me. (Though it does have some good things about it)

Offline Vix

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2009, 02:45:13 PM »
I like 2E for the variety of priests, and the lack of is one reason 4E mergs me.

I don't understand this statement. Do you mean due to the reduced "official" Pantheon? I might be missing something in your comment.

Offline Uatu

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • World's Edge
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2009, 12:40:48 AM »
I voted for 1e :D

Basic D&D was what I started with, but it did leave me wanting more (more levels, more classes, non-race classes).  The books were well-done and had nice art, though (as they DID leave me wanting more).

2e was what I played most, but there were too many supplements (Monstrous Compendiums, campaign supplements, etc.), and a bit too dumbed down (no more assassins, monks, etc., too PC, and so on).  Specialty priests near the end of 2e's time were getting pretty detailed and nice, though; quite a lot of spells and such through all the books, although again, there were a ton of them (and we couldn't afford to buy 'em all!).

3e (and 3.5e) became a completely different game that seemed more suited to CRPGs than paper-and-pencil RPGs (although the dice mechanic became easier, the character creation process became quite lengthy).  Also had specific rules for everything (for example, how to make a Dust of Disappearance?), which again seems more CRPG-ish than paper-and-pencil (no imagination).

No idea about 4e.

1e I liked because it seemed like it was what everyone had been hoping D&D to become - sort of the pinnacle of the genre (OD&D was a bit unfinished).  Most of the rules fit in a few rulebooks (a few compared to the lot we had for 2e).  Basically, "classic" AD&D, and what FRUA and the Gold Box games were based on (including the Dragonlance games).  Certain classes were overpowered (like the Cavalier), and demihumans had stricter racial limits, though.  Unfortunately 1e ended before it perfected itself, with Oriental Adventures having a sort of unfinished feel.
More Dungeon Craft Art at my Web Page: http://dhost.info/uatu

Offline Krys Tamar

• Prince of Vagabonds
    • Taer Campaign
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2009, 05:09:24 AM »
I liked the fact that priests in 2nd edition and 3rd edition were not generic, in the fact that, depending on your deity, you had access to different spells.  The thought of a priest of a Frost deitiy calling down flamestrike always seemed a bit odd to me.  I don't mind the reduced pantheon, but the fact that differentiating between a cleric of Hieroneous and a cleric of Bahamut is relying on your character using a precious feat slot.

I like 2E for the variety of priests, and the lack of is one reason 4E mergs me.

I don't understand this statement. Do you mean due to the reduced "official" Pantheon? I might be missing something in your comment.

Offline Vix

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2009, 09:13:14 AM »
Gah, sometimes I hate forums. Ate my freaking post.!  grrrr

So now you get the short reply!  =P

I think I understand you comment now, Krys.

I guess I never noticed as in all my years of playing, if a spell or ability did not fit with the character, we simply modified it so it did. Thus a Flamestrike spell cast by a Frost deity worshiping cleric would become Froststrike, and instead of divine flames blasting fro mthe sky, a bluish-white blast of freezing air and ice would pummel downward. The damage, range, duration, area of effect, etc would all stay the same, just the main description would be altered.

Now, when you got into incidental effects from Flamestrike like items catching fire, we would rule that maybe they became brittle from the extreme cold, or the moisture from the ice crystals ruined a scroll, or whatever.

Obviously this is not as easy to do in a CRPG like UA, but you can still use your imagination.

We even did it for arcane spells ... Magic missile for one mage might be radiant white  bolts of force energy, while the frost mage tossed off ice shards and the fire mage threw fist sized balls of super-heated air.

But I do agree the Feats for clerics in 4E are a bit .. uneven regarding deities.  You could simply remove them as feats and give each deity's clerics access to the ability.

The best thing about D&D is you can change it to whatever you want! ^.^

Offline Iranon

« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2009, 10:44:54 AM »
I like 2nd edition AD&D; I thought it didn't break anything and missing 1st ed content could simply be ported. I relied quite heavily on house rules... softening many rules that were too 'hard and fast' for my liking. For example, telling a character trying to disguise themselves as an imperial guard 'sorry, your class can't wear that armour type' seemed unrealistic. Making it more of a liability in a fight, shutting off some class skills, hinting that it's very uncomfortable and apply penalties for fatigue/stress if worn for extended periods of time... there are enough ways to make it unattractive. I also allowed players to make their own kits (who needs splatbooks if you have imagination?) when I was a DM, and even apply a new one if it fit into the campaign (at a serious xp cost).

In a way, I found the very rigid system of earlier editions providing more flexibility... house-ruling some parts were unlikely to have huge and unforseen consequences. 3rd ed had too much core content that I wanted to disallow and seemed a step from a roleplaying aid towards a more carefully balanced tactical game.