Poll

Which Gold Box game have you NEVER played?

Unlimited Adventures
Pool of Radiance
Curse of the Azure Bonds
Secret of the Silver Blades
Pools of Darkness
Champions of Krynn
Death Knights of Krynn
Dark Queen of Krynn
Gateway to the Savage Frontier
Treasures of the Savage Frontier
Buck Rogers XXV: Countdown to Doomsday
Buck Rogers XXV: Matrix Cubed
I've played them ALL!

Author Topic: POLL: Gold Box games you never got to play  (Read 4657 times)

Offline DesertScrb

• Another day, another dungeon.
    • Super Galactic Dreadnought blog
Re: POLL: Gold Box games you never got to play
« Reply #30 on: April 25, 2009, 05:55:50 PM »
Yep, I can recognize your style in those character pics.  Nice job; you should think about converting them to UA icons.

Offline Olivier Leroux

• Administrator
  • Yip, yip, yip!
« Reply #31 on: April 25, 2009, 08:07:33 PM »
Nice job; you should think about converting them to UA icons.

Wicci from the second screenshot already exists as UA icon.  :)
Braze from the first looks somewhat familiar too...

Offline PetrusOctavianus

« Reply #32 on: May 24, 2009, 10:05:28 PM »

Never played the Buck Rogers games.
Only played a bit of Treasures of Savage Frontier. The designers of the Savage Frontier games partly ruined their games by using standard 1/6 chance of encounters (and boring, repetitive, no variety encounters at that)  on the overland map, so after meeting a whole clan of Fire Giants, then resting and being woken up by an excact duplicate version of the clan of Fire Giants I had already killed, and it happening each time, I threw the game away in disgust...

Offline Rosestar

• Keeper of the Blue Kitten
« Reply #33 on: June 05, 2009, 04:50:19 PM »
I suggested this poll in another topic, and then I realized I could create my own poll.  So here you go: What Gold Box games did you never get to play?

Me, I never played either of the Buck Rogers games because I never could find them.  I didn't get to play Dark Queen of Krynn because although I found the game at a used bookstore, the floppies-- :o that's right, floppy disks!--that it came on were corrupted.
|sf>Yeah, one of the copies of the Buck Rogers games I bought was also on floppies.  Not owning a floppy drive, I remember sneaking them into the college computer lab and copying the files to one of the hard disks.  :) 

As far as the question goes, I started playing most of the games, except for DQK.  I've beaten Gateway (on both the Amiga and PC) and CoK.  I've also played the Amiga version of Treasures.  I started PoD on PC once, but I bumped into a bug that wouldn't let me leave a certain town.  I played PoR, CAB, SSB, CoK, and DKK originally on the Commodore 64. 
---
Suzanne M. Ferree
  ev322@netzero.net

Offline Rosestar

« Reply #34 on: June 05, 2009, 04:54:15 PM »
Sadly, I had to put a lot of checkmarks into boxes for this poll.  I should probably do something about that and play Ray's conversion of Pool of Radiance.

You should definitely play Ray's version of PoR.  It's very faithful to the original, but with the addition of the Ranger and Paladin classes (the original Pool only had four classes: Fighter, Cleric, Magic-User, Thief) and the FIX command (in the original, you had to cast healing spells and then rememorize them manually instead of automatically).  And once you're done with that, you can move on to Ray's Curse of the Azure Bonds conversion.

I wonder, do you think Ray could be talked into creating a conversion of the next game in the original Gold Box series, Secret of the Silver Blades?  All the art for it is available, and it seems like a pretty straightforward dungeon crawl.  Ray?  Any thoughts on SSB?
|sf>You've got to be kidding.  Do you realize how long it takes to beat SSB?!?  Before I acquired the cluebook, the travel in that game was even slower (especially since I was mapping out everything on graph paper).   This is coming from someone who enjoyed the game.   :)  Granted, if someone were to do a FRUA version, I would hope that area view would be left on at all costs. 
---
Suzanne M. Ferree
  ev322@netzero.net

Offline PetrusOctavianus

« Reply #35 on: June 05, 2009, 05:42:58 PM »
Sadly, I had to put a lot of checkmarks into boxes for this poll.  I should probably do something about that and play Ray's conversion of Pool of Radiance.

You should definitely play Ray's version of PoR.  It's very faithful to the original, but with the addition of the Ranger and Paladin classes (the original Pool only had four classes: Fighter, Cleric, Magic-User, Thief) and the FIX command (in the original, you had to cast healing spells and then rememorize them manually instead of automatically).  And once you're done with that, you can move on to Ray's Curse of the Azure Bonds conversion.

I wonder, do you think Ray could be talked into creating a conversion of the next game in the original Gold Box series, Secret of the Silver Blades?  All the art for it is available, and it seems like a pretty straightforward dungeon crawl.  Ray?  Any thoughts on SSB?
|sf>You've got to be kidding.  Do you realize how long it takes to beat SSB?!?  Before I acquired the cluebook, the travel in that game was even slower (especially since I was mapping out everything on graph paper).   This is coming from someone who enjoyed the game.   :)  Granted, if someone were to do a FRUA version, I would hope that area view would be left on at all costs.

After the brilliantly designed Pools of Radiance and Curse of the Azure Bonds, Secrets of the Silver Blades were a huge step backwards, with very few memorable encounters, and with endless random encounters with an unbelievable amount of dragons and wizards. What the hell did all those wizards do in an abandoned mine? With their numbers they could have conquered the whole of Toril without problems...

Too bad you had to endure the torture of SSB to import characters to Pools od Darkness...

Offline Rosestar

« Reply #36 on: June 05, 2009, 09:39:55 PM »

After the brilliantly designed Pools of Radiance and Curse of the Azure Bonds, Secrets of the Silver Blades were a huge step backwards, with very few memorable encounters, and with endless random encounters with an unbelievable amount of dragons and wizards. What the hell did all those wizards do in an abandoned mine? With their numbers they could have conquered the whole of Toril without problems...

Too bad you had to endure the torture of SSB to import characters to Pools od Darkness...
|sf>Look at it on the bright side.  Those who played SSB on Commodore 64 never were able to import their characters into PoD since it didn't come out for the platform.  When I did eventually get the PC version of PoD, I had to "start" my characters from scratch, even though I'd run the characters through the C=64 versions of the games. 

Besides, even though I played some of PoR and CaB, I didn't really have a lot of fun playing the games until SSB.  Prior to SSB, the most fun I had with the Gold Box games happened as I kept creating new characters.  Maybe that's why I consider Gateway to be the breath of fresh air.  With CoK, I wasn't too happy with having to pick deities, deal with moons, have certain spells connected with certain deities, etc, even though I eventually did beat that one as well.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2009, 09:49:31 PM by Rosestar »
---
Suzanne M. Ferree
  ev322@netzero.net

Offline Nol Drek

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • Nol Drek's Web Site
« Reply #37 on: June 06, 2009, 12:03:07 AM »

|sf>Yeah, one of the copies of the Buck Rogers games I bought was also on floppies.  Not owning a floppy drive, I remember sneaking them into the college computer lab and copying the files to one of the hard disks.  :) 

As far as the question goes, I started playing most of the games, except for DQK.  I've beaten Gateway (on both the Amiga and PC) and CoK.  I've also played the Amiga version of Treasures.  I started PoD on PC once, but I bumped into a bug that wouldn't let me leave a certain town.  I played PoR, CAB, SSB, CoK, and DKK originally on the Commodore 64.

Looking at my box of Disks/CD's:

CAB - SSI (1989)
Hillsfar - SSI (1989)
UA - SSI (1993)
GSF/TSF/POD - Wizard Works (1994)
DKK/COK/DQK - Wizard Works (1994)
UA (Ultimate Fantasy) - Slash (1995)
POR/CAB/SSB/POD/GSF/TSF (Forgotten Realms Archives) - Interplay (1997)

I never played the Buck Rogers games...
"Into the Drachensgrab Mountains!"

http://www.noldrek.com

anything