Poll

Which Gold Box game have you NEVER played?

Unlimited Adventures
Pool of Radiance
Curse of the Azure Bonds
Secret of the Silver Blades
Pools of Darkness
Champions of Krynn
Death Knights of Krynn
Dark Queen of Krynn
Gateway to the Savage Frontier
Treasures of the Savage Frontier
Buck Rogers XXV: Countdown to Doomsday
Buck Rogers XXV: Matrix Cubed
I've played them ALL!

Author Topic: POLL: Gold Box games you never got to play  (Read 4655 times)

Offline Olivier Leroux

• Administrator
  • Yip, yip, yip!
Re: POLL: Gold Box games you never got to play
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2009, 02:27:24 PM »
When I first found the UA online community, I was surprised that there weren't some revamped/altered versions of "Heirs to Skull Crag" floating around.  I expected there would be, seeing as how it was practically begging to be overhauled or added to... 

You know what, I've recently begun to tinker a bit with the NWN editor and just yesterday I wondered why there was no remake of "Heirs to Skull Crag" available yet and if it would be fun to do it in NWN.

BUT, regardless if it's for FRUA or NWN, how can you do a remake of something you did not finish at least once and that you don't really like in the first place? The designer would have to be someone who saw a merit in the original game and who had fun playing it despite its flaws. I guess that disqualifies me as the one to do it...   :-\

(And maybe it also explains why this remake has never been on top of anyone's priority list.)

jvarnes

« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2009, 06:38:01 PM »
When I first found the UA online community, I was surprised that there weren't some revamped/altered versions of "Heirs to Skull Crag" floating around.  I expected there would be, seeing as how it was practically begging to be overhauled or added to... 

You know what, I've recently begun to tinker a bit with the NWN editor and just yesterday I wondered why there was no remake of "Heirs to Skull Crag" available yet and if it would be fun to do it in NWN.

BUT, regardless if it's for FRUA or NWN, how can you do a remake of something you did not finish at least once and that you don't really like in the first place? The designer would have to be someone who saw a merit in the original game and who had fun playing it despite its flaws. I guess that disqualifies me as the one to do it...   :-\

(And maybe it also explains why this remake has never been on top of anyone's priority list.)

Ahhh come on who doesn't want to be attacked by (and I qoute) " ...a wave of Displacer Beasts"

A wave? A frickin' WAVE of Displacer Beasts??  ???
What's next a "horde of chimera"?
"gaggle of Beholders"?

Well what did I expect when the very first fight of the adventure included 3 hill giants, minotaurs, ogres and an ogre magi?

Heck you couldn't even leave the city because the path was choked with the dead bodies of monsters.  :o

Offline Vix

• Mmmm ... Spider Slushies!
  • Administrator
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2009, 06:42:40 PM »
I started playing Heirs again. I've only played a little bit, but I suspect the story was thrown together more to showcase what could be done with the game engine rather than to be a cohesive, let alone coherent game. Though I think most players ended up saying "WTF?" opposed to "How did they?"

Plus, it's more fun using the Art Swap packs!  >_>

Which I have to package and post PICC and PICD, still.  <_<

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2009, 11:23:17 PM »
Like I mentioned in the other thread...if you haven't played Heirs to Skull Crag, you haven't missed anything.  It's really not even worthy to be considered a "Gold-Box" title.  And I don't think it really is.  I doubt it had a team of people working on it, like the real games did.  Probably just one guy who threw it together in a few days.
LANDS OF ADVENTURE: An Old-School Style CRPG

More Information Here: http://landsadventure.blogspot.com/

Offline Ben J

• Keeper of the 44 quest variables
  • Dungeon Craft Tester
  • "See how I reward those who fail me!"
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2009, 07:31:08 AM »
I never got to play the Savage Frontier games and Matrix Cubed. I definetly plan to catch up on those games, but right now I have enough work to do with my old module.
Released designs:

The Sect

Offline hans

« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2009, 09:51:56 AM »
I'm glad to see (if the trend is a valid indication) that most folks have played POR, CAB, and SSB, as my upcoming EGA mod is something of a sequel/spinoff to those particular games.   ;D

Offline DesertScrb

• Another day, another dungeon.
    • Super Galactic Dreadnought blog
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2009, 10:06:26 AM »
I'm glad to see (if the trend is a valid indication) that most folks have played POR, CAB, and SSB, as my upcoming EGA mod is something of a sequel/spinoff to those particular games.   ;D

Can't wait to see this, hans.  Can you give us a few details about your upcoming design?  How long is it?  What is the plot?  Any familiar places or characters?

Offline Ben J

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2009, 10:38:09 AM »
EGA-mod sounds great. Are you using the classic EGA pics from the gold box games or are you creating new ones in EGA style?
Released designs:

The Sect

Offline hans

« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2009, 11:16:11 AM »
Can't wait to see this, hans.  Can you give us a few details about your upcoming design?  How long is it?  What is the plot?  Any familiar places or characters?

It'll only be about 7 dungeons big.  I haven't playtested through it, yet, to get an idea of how long it might take.  Have more misc. encounters to write first. 

It starts in Ashabenford (which was simply a SmallTown event in CAB). 

It uses a pre-gen party of characters you probably met in passing during gameplaying POR, CAB, & SSB, but were never properly introduced to. 

Hopefully, I'll have it finished in another month, maybe two...

Offline hans

« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2009, 11:19:01 AM »
EGA-mod sounds great. Are you using the classic EGA pics from the gold box games or are you creating new ones in EGA style?

It'll be a mix of both, plus (inbetween category) many classic pics reworked.

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2009, 11:57:58 AM »
I can respect the work that goes into an EGA-style module.  I attempted it at one point (you can find the results in the Unfinished Module area of the ftp, in a module that is a retelling of Pool of Radiance...but I can't remember the name of it).  Doing a bunch of EGA walls, trying to recreate the feel of the original POR proved to be too much of a pain.
LANDS OF ADVENTURE: An Old-School Style CRPG

More Information Here: http://landsadventure.blogspot.com/

Offline Ben J

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2009, 12:44:01 PM »
A CGA-module would certainly be easier to do, colour-wise.  :D
Released designs:

The Sect

Offline hans

« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2009, 03:55:53 PM »
I've mentioned Origin's (EGA) Knights of Legend game, before.  It had a built-in little art proggie that allowed a player to personalize their character pics, either tweaking existing images or making one entirely new. 

I cut my comp-art teeth on that game.  It's been fun with my EGA mod to rediscover the possibilities and explore the limitations of 16-color art, again.

Here are some screencaps I had lying around of that game.  My work is strictly the little character pic squares (usually at the top): 

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline hans

« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2009, 03:56:44 PM »
Click on pics to enlarge. 

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Vix

• Mmmm ... Spider Slushies!
  • Administrator
« Reply #29 on: April 25, 2009, 04:11:36 PM »
Awesome! Even EGA you do good stuffs!