Author Topic: PREVIEW: Thieves' Run UPDATED  (Read 185 times)

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
PREVIEW: Thieves' Run UPDATED
« on: August 28, 2017, 05:12:52 PM »
The first design I converted from .914 DC to 3+ DC was Thieves' Run, because, I put it out originally. Everything went well. Then, during one of my testing sessions I became really tired of the art used. I think nobody has looked at the default graphics (old and new). I decided to update the art. I decided to update all of the art. I wanted it to still look "FRUAish", but not use the FRUA art converted to DC (all just pixel resizes). So, I started redoing all of the art, which included making some new walls, a new backdrop, but mostly updating FRUA and other GoldBox art to not look clunky. I was going to do this for the icons, but decided that I could not possibly come up with something that looks better than Uatu's, so I have used some Uatu icons in place of FRUA icons, but recolored to match the FRUA/GoldBox coloring.

I am at least 3/4 of the way done, and finally have enough done to show a new screenshot from the same spot as the screenshot of the old version (for comparison).

Offline Paul R. Stevens

• Dungeon Craft Tester
Re: PREVIEW: Thieves' Run UPDATED
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2017, 06:05:02 PM »
Such a terrible thing to have to say:

I prefer the original.  But then I am 77 years old
and like Johnny Cash and Joan Baez.

The new art seems to be an attempt to
make more realistic what is obviously a fantasy.
It sort of stands out from the story.

I like your dark brick background.  It is subdued
enough that I did not even notice it at first.

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2017, 06:23:09 PM »
I also like Johnny Cash and Joan Baez. :D

I like doing the art. I like bigger viewports I don't like small art stretched to fit big viewports. I wasn't really going for a more realistic look, just didn't want pixelated art.

My ulterior motive is to show how you can change DC's 'outpu' without redoing your design, just by changing your art.

Online steve_mcdee

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2017, 08:04:01 PM »
I think the new version looks great. Somewhat of a different feel than the original, but I like it (which is not to say I don't like the original too).

I think you should use a different font though. Also, I'd bring the HP in a little from the right hand side of the screen, and move the location and time text up a bit.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2017, 08:09:11 PM by steve_mcdee »

Offline Jaesun

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2017, 08:32:01 PM »
I really like the look of the updated version!

Offline Milos Gulan

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2017, 02:59:44 AM »
Me too, everything looks cool :)

Offline Uatu

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • World's Edge
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2017, 05:21:05 AM »
Very impressive, I wish I knew how to do that, but on the other hand I've been working in a specific size so long I can't do something new now!  But nice big view, great subtle backgrounds, compass, etc. - all great!
More Dungeon Craft Art at my Web Page: http://dhost.info/uatu

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2017, 02:35:32 PM »
I will do something about the HP being so close to the right edge - I would ideally like to move it, and only it, left.

With changing th elook, I was going for three things (mostly);
- square viewport - I can't believe that more FRUA folks don't say things about the rectangular viewport of the default DC
- less blank space in the layout
- less pixelized version the I first put out

Thanks for all of the feedback everybody. :D I'll post more screenshots when they are ready.

Offline Mechanaut

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2017, 03:49:44 PM »
- square viewport - I can't believe that more FRUA folks don't say things about the rectangular viewport of the default DC
Is there a tutorial online that outlines the process of changing the main UI for DC?

(An explanation of what works, what doesn't work; what causes problems... etc)

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2017, 03:03:45 PM »
Is there a tutorial online that outlines the process of changing the main UI for DC?

(An explanation of what works, what doesn't work; what causes problems... etc)

Tutorial? Not per se. There are quite a few posts about it, as I have made available lots of different layouts.
Everything you see in the 3D view is controlled in the config.txt file. There are notes as to what most of the layout lines do. They are all coordinates - x first, y second.

I have hesitated to write an actual tutorial for a couple of reasons, first being that little or no interest has previously been shown (those that have wanted to change things just have), and some of the things I have done, Paul well may consider a hack and we all know how Paul feels about hacks. ;)

Offline Olivier Leroux

• Administrator
  • Yip, yip, yip!
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2017, 05:51:03 AM »
In the original screenshot, I don't mind the pixelated FRUA graphics so much as the fact that all the other GUI elements don't match it. The second screenshot is much better in terms of consistency, even if not perfect. I'm still not a fan of the prosaic font, and compass, backdrops and 3D walls have more of a self-made look compared to the professional quality of the rest. But the frame is absolutely gorgeous, and I also love the stone background and the larger viewport. Great work!  :)

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2017, 08:14:10 AM »
The new version looks fantastic.

You should find the same scene in the original FRUA module and take a screenshot of that. Then, post both pictures on the FRUA boards. When the question was asked about FRUA players not trying DC, it could be because they haven't seen what it can do. This would be a great way to advertise. Take something they know and show how it can be updated with some effort on the designer's part.
LANDS OF ADVENTURE: An Old-School Style CRPG

More Information Here: http://landsadventure.blogspot.com/

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • Dinonykos Dungeon Craft
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2017, 01:10:53 AM »
I know I am a little late, but I want to state that I very much like the art style!
Find four contributions to the Pre-Generated Character Mini-Module Design Contest on my homepage.
New: THE AMBASSADOR'S LETTER, my contribution to the 7-day-challenge.
DINONYKOS DUNGEON CRAFT DESIGN HOMEPAGE