Author Topic: Converting "The Fiend's Ritual" to DC 2.x/3.x  (Read 73 times)

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • Dinonykos Dungeon Craft
Converting "The Fiend's Ritual" to DC 2.x/3.x
« on: August 11, 2017, 09:32:28 AM »
I just converted "The Fiend's Ritual" to DC 2.x/3.x. I did nothing else, except adding "UseWallIndex" to the global settings. Since I used the default databases and only added a few items, this one worked more smoothly. I encountered the following issues, however:

a) MIDI music was not played if it was added via the level editor as background music. It was played when tied to sound events. I am not sure yet concerning other events, e.g. text events.

b) The design contains several combats vs. NPC combatants which worked well in 0.914. When playing the design in DC 3.x, the combats were not triggered. I checked one of the related events in the DC editor and found the NPC names were replaced with "unknown" NPC" in the combat editor. So I assume the combats are not executed since no combatant was recognized.

c) Some quest events were not triggered, I have still to check what the reason is.

d) I had added a logic block which was set to always "SET LEVEL ASL": $Wall,7,18,S=26 AND "SET LEVEL ASL": $Block,7,18,S=OpenBlk. While the first action (changing the wall graphic) is executed perfectly, the second (OpenBlk) is not working. (The logic block works well in 0.914.)

e) The gain experience event does not seem to work properly. There are several gain experience events in "The Fiend's Ritual" which work perfectly in 0.914, but the pre-generated characters used in this design did not gain any experience when I played the converted version.

It is clear to me that Paul and Manikus cannot on work all these problems plus those related to changed baseclasses, races etc. in "Snow Tigress" simultaneously, but I thought I should already name these problems here... otherwise, I would probably forget about them... :)

In this context, I have a general question:
Could it turn out to be more effective in the end to make 0.914 run in Windows 8/Windows 10 somehow?
« Last Edit: August 11, 2017, 09:56:35 AM by Dinonykos »
Find four contributions to the Pre-Generated Character Mini-Module Design Contest on my homepage.
New: THE AMBASSADOR'S LETTER, my contribution to the 7-day-challenge.
DINONYKOS DUNGEON CRAFT DESIGN HOMEPAGE

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
Re: Converting "The Fiend's Ritual" to DC 2.x/3.x
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2017, 01:26:51 PM »
Paul and I want to get Snow tigress working before we tackle another design...not that we won't get to this. ;)

I use Windows 8 and *.1 and .914 runs as well in them as it does in XXP (which I have in a VM for some commercial software that won't run in 8) I've used it quite a bit in the last few weeks as I am converting DC designs to run in the most recent version of DC.

Paul and I owuld much (much, much) rather work on getting DC to update without issues than to even consider working on .914 again.

So, let's work on Snow Tigress and get that working. Then, if we need to work each and every one of your designs, we will. This is not a burden to us, we're just sorry that it is a hassle for you.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2017, 01:29:16 PM by manikus »

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • Dinonykos Dungeon Craft
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2017, 04:22:12 PM »
I thank both of you for your efforts, in any case. :)

And of course I am aware that not all problems can be solved at the same time.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2017, 05:29:28 PM by Dinonykos »
Find four contributions to the Pre-Generated Character Mini-Module Design Contest on my homepage.
New: THE AMBASSADOR'S LETTER, my contribution to the 7-day-challenge.
DINONYKOS DUNGEON CRAFT DESIGN HOMEPAGE

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2017, 01:07:28 PM »
We will get to this. We just want to finish all the issues we can find on the first one, first. ;(