Author Topic: Hero Craft walls and backdrops  (Read 317 times)

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
Hero Craft walls and backdrops
« on: August 07, 2017, 01:28:30 PM »
I haven't started making any walls and backdrops, yet. But, I have started thinking about it. It is kind of mystifying to me - what do comic book walls look like? I have spent several hours over the last week and a half looking at comics trying to figure out what walls might look like and it's a more difficult question than it seems at first blush.

1)  They could just be the walls we are already using/making.
2)  They could be modern or sci-fi looking things (which may have some overlap with #1)
3)  They could just be solid color blocks with little or no detail
4)  They could be as detailed as the smallpics/portraits/bigpics (does not preclude 1 or 2)
5)  They oculd be left nearly out (blank walls with overlays and doors provideing detail).
etc. etc.

None of these options (or the many I didn't think of to list) are wrong.

I would be interested to hear others thoughts on this topic, and maybe even see some examples. As soon as I get some done, I will be posting them hear. :D

I suspect that this will be like other style conversations we have had - some walls wwork with some smallpics and other walls work with other smallpics. ;)

Offline Mechanaut

Re: Hero Craft walls and backdrops
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2017, 01:49:22 PM »
Night scenes of alleys, & roof tops, and a sewer; day scenes of main streets, apartment buildings, school yards, and shopping malls.

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • Dinonykos Dungeon Craft
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2017, 01:54:59 PM »
I think they should fit with how the heroes are depicted. I would neither go for something too simple with only one colour nor for too complex things. I would stay with the standard walls we have, but we will probably need more present-day/sci-fi walls. Mechanauts points are very good, we already discussed rooftops a little, they are surely a must-have, but I agree we should also see how we can do proper backstreet and night walls...
Find four contributions to the Pre-Generated Character Mini-Module Design Contest on my homepage.
New: THE AMBASSADOR'S LETTER, my contribution to the 7-day-challenge.
DINONYKOS DUNGEON CRAFT DESIGN HOMEPAGE

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2017, 02:18:24 PM »
Night scenes of alleys, & roof tops, and a sewer; day scenes of main streets, apartment buildings, school yards, and shopping malls.

Good ideas. I have started a list with these. Right now I am working interior

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2017, 02:32:31 PM »
I think they should fit with how the heroes are depicted. I would neither go for something too simple with only one colour nor for too complex things. I would stay with the standard walls we have, but we will probably need more present-day/sci-fi walls. Mechanauts points are very good, we already discussed rooftops a little, they are surely a must-have, but I agree we should also see how we can do proper backstreet and night walls...

I have looked at about 65 or 70 books, and granted they were all about certain characters by the same publisher, but the walls had very little detail, with the focus always being on the characters They do match teh color scheme, though.

I do think that after we get some base walls, the main thing we will need will be objects, i.e. overlays or stand-alone things.

Night walls...I have on my list of requests, the ability to do with walls what we already do with backdrops, which is to have day and night walls in the same slot and a timing meechanism in place. All of this is to say that I have already been making night versions of the walls I am using in my own work. I have only been making them for exterior walls, but now I think I will be doing them for interior walls as well. We can script their use right now, but for some designs we may want to have the night walls be the main walls.
I had started by just darkening my walls, but of course to look right, you have to up the blue or the purple tones.

Offline Nol Drek

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • Nol Drek's Web Site
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2017, 05:38:46 PM »
Modern / Sci-Fi walls seem like the best option to me (combined with existing cave, marble, and undersea walls). I would not make them look like the walls in comic books, which are often overly simplified background images designed not to distract from the action in the foreground.

Interior Walls:
1) Warehouse - concrete walls, rows of shelving, industrial
2) Office - carpet floors, painted drywall with white wood trim (baseboards and around doors), cubicles
3) Laboratory - futuristic sci-fi metal walls with rounded corners, dimensional portals, banks of monitors, electrical conduit, and tubes running along the walls
4) Prison - concrete block corridor walls with heavy locked doors, vaults, bars, security cameras, railings around open courtyards

Exterior Walls:
1) City street - sidewalks and paved asphalt floors, store fronts, brick, glass, and steel skyscrapers
"Into the Drachensgrab Mountains!"

http://www.noldrek.com

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2017, 06:50:26 PM »
All good ideas, Nol. :D

The thing with minimalist walls is that 1) I can draw them and b) they can go with many styles
I can do all of the walls suggested, but they will feature semi-realistic textures, and I can render some objects, but they won't work with comic book style heroes/villains. Well, actualy it will be like using any wall i have created with Uatu or Dinonykos cmallpics/portraits. Some will work, some will not.

My big assumption here is that people will be using comic book style portraits. 3D rendered characters or pics taken from movies, tv, cosplay or your friends are a totally different story. ;)

Now that I think about it, out of the hundreds of walls I have already done, some must already be appropriate for Hero Craft...

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2017, 01:32:03 AM »
While I am always aiming at consistency, I think a little variation in the wall style would not be too bad.

I have several walls for laboratories which I could convert into pixel art (as long as I do not have to convert them to the high 1024x768 resolution). One issue which was mentioned at least once in the forums is that some walls (including mine) become darker with distance, while others (like Uatu's) always have equal brightness. I would aim for the latter for Hero Craft.
Find four contributions to the Pre-Generated Character Mini-Module Design Contest on my homepage.

Offline Nol Drek

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • Nol Drek's Web Site
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2017, 01:22:21 PM »
I've attached some screenshots of walls from Champions Online.
"Into the Drachensgrab Mountains!"

http://www.noldrek.com

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2017, 01:31:57 PM »
We must be on the same wavelength, I was getting ready to post asking if we should use walls that darken in the distance or not. SOunds like not. (Either way is fine with me.)

I also think a variety of style is fine. However, if the people in the thread want a particular style and I can do it, they're the ones I will try and plaase. :D

I have lots of textures ready to make into walls. Far less modern and far more sci-fi textures than I realized. I have some ideas for what I want to do, so  I need to find some more textures/make some more textures. I'm going to start working on city streets and alleys. :)

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2017, 01:35:08 PM »
Nol, I have walls that look like five out of the six. :) I will make sure that they get posted here when I get to that stage.

I look forward to a point in the future when we need to vote on which of the many, many walls will be included in the package (with the rest being available as well, but as an additional download.)

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2017, 01:01:15 PM »
Here is the first screenshot of walls that i am working on. I am going for a "realistic' look with that term being relative to Dungeon Craft. And superheroes. :D
« Last Edit: August 17, 2017, 01:37:16 PM by manikus »

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2017, 01:25:59 PM »
Wow, very realistic!

Offline Mechanaut

« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2017, 01:32:36 PM »
Are these done using a 3D modeler? (For deformations I mean)

It's nice work.

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2017, 01:41:15 PM »
thanks. :D

I used royalty free textures for the wall and then Dan Morton's Wallgen.
For the backdrop, I used a sidewalk texture and asphalt texture (also royalty free from the same site) and then deformed the heck out of them. You have to do the deforming in small chunks to minimize distorting your texture passed the point of recognition.