Author Topic: Attention DC designers  (Read 194 times)

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
Attention DC designers
« on: August 03, 2017, 04:23:15 PM »
Dinonykos and I have been talking about updating the current DC designs to the latest version of the engine. i had already sent an email to one designer who is no longer in the forums (as far as I can tell).

Then, I got to working on Paul's idea of creating a "New to DC" sticky for the forums, and I want to list several of the designs for players, but instructions for use for current designs is different for use of .914 and earlier designs.

Then, i thought, "well, I can just convert everyone's designs" So, is there anyone who would object to me updating there designs to the latest version of DC? i have no plans to change anything about your game, but i reserve the right to fix the horizontal, vertical and viewport frames as needed. :D

Dinonykos, I am going to let you convert your own designs because you have a lot of extra things going on in them. Unless you want me to give them a crack, too? I could do the conversion part and send them to you to deal with the wall switching.

If I do not hear from you, I will assume it is okay and will post again before I upload anything.

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • Dinonykos Dungeon Craft
Re: Attention DC designers
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2017, 04:48:21 PM »
It is great that you are ready to do this.
Yes, I will try to convert my designs myself. Olivier, by the way, did also use the logic-block-based wall change option in the lesson. But I think it should work, since Paul has solved the numbering issue (http://ua.reonis.com/index.php?topic=3380.msg47727#msg47727)... :)
Find four contributions to the Pre-Generated Character Mini-Module Design Contest on my homepage.
New: THE AMBASSADOR'S LETTER, my contribution to the 7-day-challenge.
DINONYKOS DUNGEON CRAFT DESIGN HOMEPAGE

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2017, 04:52:58 PM »
It is great that you are ready to do this.
Yes, I will try to convert my designs myself. Olivier, by the way, did also use the logic-block-based wall change option in the lesson. But I think it should work, since Paul has solved the numbering issue (http://ua.reonis.com/index.php?topic=3380.msg47727#msg47727)... :)

OKay. I will try converting Olivier's design to see if it works, and if it doesn't for some reason, I can use it to work with Paul...before you do yours. :)

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2017, 02:40:03 PM »
For the most part, updating the designs to the current dC version was quick and painless. However, for designs made in versions of DC older than .912 or there abouts had some additional issues with old databases not working well - usually the four databases that no one could change, so I can plug in the most recent ones and we're good to go. It has donned on me that these older games were ebfore Assassins and Half-Orcs. I will make versions that do not have these to add, because I don't want to break a game.

Dinonykos, this will definitely affect your designs, as I know you changed names in the races and class databases. Easy to resolve, however. When you update your design, export the ability, baseclass, class and race databases. These exported databases are what you need to capture the old data. You then need to update these databases, or use updated databases that you already have (perhaps needing to tweak names) and then reimport. The reason is that in .914 and earlier, almost everything in these databases was hard-coded and now none of it is.
Of particular import:
baseclass database controls which race can be a (base)class.

There are many keywords for each, and looking at the exported databases will show you the ones that are absolutely needed, and the default databases will list all of the other keywords and give examples of use. Let me know if you require assistance on this, either in explanation or opplication.

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • Dinonykos Dungeon Craft
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2017, 02:32:50 AM »
Thanks, Manikus, both for upgrading and giving me more instruction! I will probably need some more days before I find time for upgrading my designs. I admit I am a little afraid concerning the races and classes, but I made updated versions for DC 2.x (without using SAs yet), so it should be possible to incorporate these.
'The Fiend's Ritual', by the way, uses the standard races and classes, I think.

« Last Edit: August 07, 2017, 12:08:51 PM by Dinonykos »
Find four contributions to the Pre-Generated Character Mini-Module Design Contest on my homepage.
New: THE AMBASSADOR'S LETTER, my contribution to the 7-day-challenge.
DINONYKOS DUNGEON CRAFT DESIGN HOMEPAGE

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2017, 12:46:31 PM »
If you already have databases for races, baseclasses and classes as you would like for 2.x, once you update your old designs, save the design and close the editor. Now, copy the 2.x .dat files over the ones in the newly upated design, and re-open it in your editor. Actually, I don't know that you even need to close the editor. I just recommend closing the editor because when the editor starts up, it checks the databases for entries...
If you have the databases as text files, you can just import them into your newly updated design.

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2017, 12:50:35 PM »
I was going to finish my update process of all those designs (with the classic databases) But, I decided to play a design and actually write a review! Me. Finally doing something I said I would do years ago. ;)

After the current AVI bug is dealt with, Paul and I will be working on the updating of the Harri Polsa designs, because they break DC (the older was made in version .5x of DC, which was long before I was around)