Author Topic: Hero Craft smallpics & portraits & Sprites  (Read 270 times)

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
Hero Craft smallpics & portraits & Sprites
« on: May 31, 2017, 12:49:01 PM »
This thread is for smallpics, portraits and sprites of all the kinds of characters that you can imagine in a Superhero-themed design. Good gals, bad guys, lackeys, henchpersons, people-in-the-community, etc.

Let me get it rolling with some recolors of a couple of my favorite Uatu portraits. :D

Offline Milos Gulan

Re: Hero Craft smallpics & portraits & Sprites
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2017, 04:52:03 PM »
Very cool and nicely done :)

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • Dinonykos Dungeon Craft
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2017, 01:50:28 AM »
Strange, I thought I had answered to this earlier...

Anyway, nice work. I tried to do something similar, but I am not convinced with the look of my attempt yet.
Find four contributions to the Pre-Generated Character Mini-Module Design Contest on my homepage.
New: THE AMBASSADOR'S LETTER, my contribution to the 7-day-challenge.
DINONYKOS DUNGEON CRAFT DESIGN HOMEPAGE

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2017, 12:33:22 PM »
I'm working on a cyborgification that I can't get to the look I want, so I completely understand. I expect when you do hit that mark of acceptability, they will look great. ;)

Offline Nol Drek

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • Nol Drek's Web Site
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2017, 11:51:07 PM »
Just wanted to say I like this colorful cast of characters.
"Into the Drachensgrab Mountains!"

http://www.noldrek.com

Offline Uatu

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • World's Edge
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2017, 08:00:21 AM »
Whoa - didn't know those guys were moonlighting as superheroes in their off-hours...  I like Mayo Man (guy #1), the Green Yesman (guy #5), and Mask Woman (woman #2) best :D
More Dungeon Craft Art at my Web Page: http://dhost.info/uatu

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2017, 12:49:33 PM »
Mayo Man ... spreading justice in Sandwich City ;)

I will do more, because they are fun. Though, I am going to have to rethink the female cyborg, or at least do it with a different base image. Cyborg permanetly worn helmets and existing hair don't mix so well.

I am going to do at least one sprite, too. :)

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • Dinonykos Dungeon Craft
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2017, 06:24:51 AM »
Whoa - didn't know those guys were moonlighting as superheroes in their off-hours...  I like Mayo Man (guy #1), the Green Yesman (guy #5), and Mask Woman (woman #2) best :D
I am happy that you like Manikus' modifications. I guess I will then continue with my efforts to do similar modifications.

Though, I am going to have to rethink the female cyborg, or at least do it with a different base image. Cyborg permanetly worn helmets and existing hair don't mix so well.
That's one of the things I also have to consider for my helmettigers... :D

Depending on the level of technology, I think combinations of helmets and hair should be possible, too.
Find four contributions to the Pre-Generated Character Mini-Module Design Contest on my homepage.
New: THE AMBASSADOR'S LETTER, my contribution to the 7-day-challenge.
DINONYKOS DUNGEON CRAFT DESIGN HOMEPAGE

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2017, 12:56:04 PM »
My current issue is that I have a helmet that is just a helmet on the right side, but is permeanently attached on the left, includingcovering parts of the face. I have yet to achieve any looks with or without hair that look right. I have put it on the backburner for now and will continue to work on other sstuff. :D

What I have been working on, and no success yet, is to use the proper blend of shaders and outlinging to make some 3D renders that work as "toons", and without outlining look in the style of Uatu. Once I can figure this out, then I will go back to rendering for my art. And maybe consider selling my schema if it is different enough... (many, many peole in the 3D community are doing toons.)

Offline Mechanaut

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2017, 08:12:45 PM »
Blender has the 'Freestyle' render addon, intended for non-photo-realistic imagery. It can certainly be used with stock 3D assets to give a hand drawn appearance to 3D-rendered models.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Tm3yQHrqbE

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2017, 12:30:37 PM »
Thanks for the suggestion.;)

I'm not trying to do hand-drawn per se as much as I am trying to do "Uatu-style". :D :D :D

Offline Mechanaut

« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2017, 03:39:40 PM »
3D rendered subjects—as a base, is an interesting alternative to photo-retouching.  When I've needed quick asset art, I've sometimes rendered out 3D stills that I took into Photoshop to embellish. It can give great results. It has the added benefit that Blender can change the base pose for additional images; and can render it to native scale, with no need to resample.  8)
« Last Edit: June 07, 2017, 03:41:48 PM by Mechanaut »

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2017, 04:03:17 PM »
Yup. I just use Posser and dAZ becausse they are what I am experienced in. I do modelling in a number of programs and then put it into Poser or DAZ to render. ;) Learning curvess and all that.