Author Topic: How to map?  (Read 222 times)

Offline Moonbeam111

How to map?
« on: May 21, 2017, 09:52:48 AM »
I hear people on this community talk about "mapping". Well, I was wondering how do you map dungeons and the like on Forgotten Realms? I need this because I occasionally get lost in big places in the Forgotten Realms games and I don't know where to go next or even where I am.

Should I use pencil and paper? Or is there software designed specifically for this? Any pointers? :P

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
Re: How to map?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2017, 12:27:17 PM »
If you are speaking of FRUA modules, one thing you can do is utilize the "Area" view of each area to see where you are.  In some cases, the author may have turned this feature off, but there are methods to turn it back on (and if you need instruction on how to do so, we can show you how that's done).  If you're talking about something besides FRUA, then it's a whole different subject.

In reality, this subject may not belong in the "Module Design Discussion," since you seem to be talking more about playing and less about designing, unless I have misunderstood your intentions.

You can certainly use a pencil and some graph paper to do some of your mapping, and there is software out there to handle making maps while playing games as well.  I guess we need to find out exactly what you're trying to do, though.  So, feel free to provide more information.

LANDS OF ADVENTURE: An Old-School Style CRPG

More Information Here: http://landsadventure.blogspot.com/

Offline Moonbeam111

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2017, 12:54:22 PM »
If you are speaking of FRUA modules, one thing you can do is utilize the "Area" view of each area to see where you are.  In some cases, the author may have turned this feature off, but there are methods to turn it back on (and if you need instruction on how to do so, we can show you how that's done).  If you're talking about something besides FRUA, then it's a whole different subject.

In reality, this subject may not belong in the "Module Design Discussion," since you seem to be talking more about playing and less about designing, unless I have misunderstood your intentions.

You can certainly use a pencil and some graph paper to do some of your mapping, and there is software out there to handle making maps while playing games as well.  I guess we need to find out exactly what you're trying to do, though.  So, feel free to provide more information.

My apologies for the lack of information, feel free to move this thread to an appropriate section of the forum (I wasn't sure where to put it in the first place).  Yes, what I am talking about are FRUA modules. I already knew about area view in FRUA and area view is good except it shows the entire area your in, instead of only showing the parts you've explored so I can still get lost. Then I wondered to myself, basically how you guys do your mapping because some people say they "map out" the dungeon. Problem is, I'm not sure how I would go about mapping with a pencil and graph paper. If there is any software that helps with mapping I would also like to know.

Offline Mechanaut

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2017, 03:12:46 PM »
There is software for mapping, but if it's just to keep your bearings, then as you play, you can quickly use a pencil or pen on paper (graphed or or plain), and simply draw lines and notes to keep track. More carefully (detailed) maps can be made, if you want something you (or someone else) will understand a few weeks later.

I was once in a thrift shop, and found an unlabeled folded graph-paper map inside a paperback novel; I looked at it—and recognized it as a map of the temple of Raaka-tu; (an obscure text based title for the TRS-80 computer; similar to Zork). The map was carefully drawn, and described some of the traps. It was probably over a decade old at the time that I found it.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2017, 03:15:37 PM by Mechanaut »

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2017, 08:06:41 PM »
You can use the program "Gold-Box Companion," which works with FRUA and does the mapping chore for you, revealing only what you've explored.

You can find info on the program here:
http://personal.inet.fi/koti/jhirvonen/gbc/

LANDS OF ADVENTURE: An Old-School Style CRPG

More Information Here: http://landsadventure.blogspot.com/

Offline PetrusOctavianus

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2017, 02:34:15 PM »
I'm a fossil, and use pencil and paper.

anything