Author Topic: missing text file?  (Read 932 times)

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
Re: missing text file?
« Reply #30 on: April 14, 2017, 01:00:37 PM »
Let's see if I can help with some of this...

Editor viewport:
I mentioned earlier that the editor viewport is always the same shape, regardless of what you put in the config.txt file. The missing right wall is a known issue with the editor viewport when you are using a config.txt that makes the engine viewport wider than it is tall. If you were to test your game, the wall would be there.

You might ask why this has never been fixed? Up until now, I am the only one to do any work (at least that has posted in these forums) in a veiwport that is not the default shape.

Dinonykos wall error:
Dinonykos has never made any walls for the 1024x768wide format. His walls will not show correctly in this layout.

manikus window error:
As with above, I did not make that window overlay for the 1024x768wide format. It won't work as is.

Offline Zad

« Reply #31 on: April 14, 2017, 01:56:43 PM »
Whee!  Finally, a problem that isn't because of some dumb thing I did!  *hugs*  So basically, if I don't use slots 3 and 4, I am good to go with my design.  Yay!  Again, I thank you all for your help.  I don't think I'll go with version 2.83 just yet.  Apparently 2.77 is working.

Manikus, you didn't make a window overlay for this format?  I downloaded some of your walls, windows, and doors thinking they were for this.  Okay, I'll delete them.  If I do make overlays for this format, should they work?

I haven't looked at most of this forum, but I suspect it is not filled with people having silly problems like mine.  So, I even more greatly appreciate everyone's patience.  One day, I hope to be able to repay it.

P.S.  I should look up how to crop a screenshot.

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #32 on: April 14, 2017, 02:22:25 PM »
Whee!  Finally, a problem that isn't because of some dumb thing I did!  *hugs*  So basically, if I don't use slots 3 and 4, I am good to go with my design.  Yay!  Again, I thank you all for your help.  I don't think I'll go with version 2.83 just yet.  Apparently 2.77 is working.

Manikus, you didn't make a window overlay for this format?  I downloaded some of your walls, windows, and doors thinking they were for this.  Okay, I'll delete them.  If I do make overlays for this format, should they work?

You can use slots 3 and 4, you just need to remove the walls/overlays/doors and put in other ones. :D

I have made about 20 walls for this format, but I haven't uploaded them anywhere. They were all made with the wall generator, so I don't see the point, because someone else with the wall generator could do the same thing, and as previously mentioned, no one has wanted to work with this layout until you.

If you need a window overlay, you can use the window I made as your texture to use in the wall generator. :)

Offline Zad

« Reply #33 on: April 14, 2017, 03:06:58 PM »
I made a door, using that turquoise invisibility color around it, but it came out fractured with Uatu's name on it.  That was in slot 7.

I did previously try clearing slots 3 and 4, but they still do that  Oh, but I did not think to remove overlays and doors.  It's been so long since I used DC!  I'll try that now, and see if it clears up the problem.

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #34 on: April 14, 2017, 03:15:55 PM »
I made a door, using that turquoise invisibility color around it, but it came out fractured with Uatu's name on it.  That was in slot 7.

I did previously try clearing slots 3 and 4, but they still do that  Oh, but I did not think to remove overlays and doors.  It's been so long since I used DC!  I'll try that now, and see if it clears up the problem.

Clearing the overlay and door slots for 3 and 4 should do the trick. For both issues.

Offline Zad

« Reply #35 on: April 14, 2017, 03:23:40 PM »
Yes, that did work.  However, I ran into another problem.  *smiling*  Sorry.

The left wall does not join the front wall at the edge, but cuts into it.

Offline Zad

« Reply #36 on: April 14, 2017, 03:26:50 PM »
I tried to look up how to crop a screenshot, but it's a pain.  I'd have to take it into GIMP, crop it, and export it as a usable file format.  Not that familiar with GIMP yet, but I need to learn, so I can move that silly double door down to ground level, or make a step up to it.  People are going to stub their toes!  Oh, that would be interesting in a story...

Well, I'm going to ignore the wall-cutting issue and work on my story anyway.

I apologize for the fish poo in my screenshots.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2017, 03:35:42 PM by Zad »

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
« Reply #37 on: April 14, 2017, 03:48:05 PM »
P.S.  I should look up how to crop a screenshot.

In Windows 10, type "Clip" into your Search bar (Cortana) at the bottom of the screen.  This should bring up the "Clipping Tool."  Click "New" and then draw a square around the section of the screen you want to capture.  Then, just save the image.  No additional tools necessary.
LANDS OF ADVENTURE: An Old-School Style CRPG

More Information Here: http://landsadventure.blogspot.com/

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #38 on: April 14, 2017, 04:02:09 PM »
What does it look like in the engine?

Offline Zad

« Reply #39 on: April 14, 2017, 05:13:21 PM »
ProphetSword, thanks for that information.

Manikus, what does what look like in the engine?  I assume you mean the DC editor?  Oh, maybe you mean when I run the game.  Let me double check...

Thanks for having me check that.  In the game, it isn't messed up.  So, no problem.  And back to work on the game!  Yay!
« Last Edit: April 14, 2017, 05:15:56 PM by Zad »

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #40 on: April 14, 2017, 05:18:20 PM »

Manikus, what does what look like in the engine?  I assume you mean the DC editor?  Oh, maybe you mean when I run the game.  Let me double check...

Thanks for having me check that.  In the game, it isn't messed up.  So, no problem.  And back to work on the game!  Yay!

8)

Offline Zad

« Reply #41 on: April 15, 2017, 12:13:26 AM »
Okay, just little stuff this time. I've been playing around with teleportation events, going from one level to another, so the insides of buildings can be bigger than the outsides.  While testing the game so far, I noticed a couple of graphics issues; nothing huge, but some walls are not quite connecting, and in the playing screen, there is a funny scrap of something off to the right.  Screenshot:

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #42 on: April 15, 2017, 02:33:36 PM »
I think one of the problems that you are having is that I didn't explain very well how to use the resources I posted. :)

From the editor:
#1   open the latest DC editor, select Create New Design
#2   close editor and navigate to newly created folder
#3   DELETE all files in Resources and config.txt in Data
#4   unzip all files into Resources
#5   put downloaded wide wall config.txt in Data folder

In windows explorer or command line environments:
#1   download the zip files and config.txt
#2   create a new folder called something you like eg. Wide_Wall_Test.dsn
#3   in the new folder create Data, Resources and Saves subfolders
#4   unzip all files into Resources
#5   put config.txt in Data folder
#6   copy all .dat, .lvl and .blk files from TemplateDesign.dsn to Data folder
&7   copy latest version of engine to your design folder

The zip files and config.txt  I refer to above are the ones found here:
http://ua.reonis.com/index.php?topic=3381.msg47759#msg47759

Those screenshots in this thread look quite a bit different from yours. It tells me that you are using different sized graphics. This may be due to the wall generator, though I am pretty sure you mentioned using the new config.xml file for it.

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
« Reply #43 on: April 16, 2017, 08:50:12 AM »

I'm glad you were able to figure it out...

...especially since I realized afterward that you should have searched for the "Snipping Tool," not the "Clipping Tool."  Oops.
LANDS OF ADVENTURE: An Old-School Style CRPG

More Information Here: http://landsadventure.blogspot.com/

Offline Zad

« Reply #44 on: April 16, 2017, 02:43:40 PM »
ProphetSword, I haven't tried it yet, so I can't actually say I figured it out.

Manikus, you're basically saying I need to erase everything I've done, download the latest editor, and completely start over.  Okay... but not today.  I feel kind of sick about this.