Poll

When you create a new Player Character do you...

Accept the first stats rolled, no matter how awful.
0 (0%)
Keep rolling stats until I get something I can live with.
4 (23.5%)
Modify the stats to match a character I already have in mind.
5 (29.4%)
Max-out all the stats.
4 (23.5%)
Other.  (Please explain below)
4 (23.5%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Voting closed: May 31, 2017, 12:17:48 PM

Author Topic: Max-ed Out or Puny PCs  (Read 1230 times)

Offline hans

Re: Max-ed Out or Puny PCs
« Reply #30 on: May 12, 2017, 10:21:46 AM »
LOL, that timing was truly neck & neck! 

No apologies necessary, amigo.  From the way the other Poll is shaping up, it looks like more players have held your perspective than mine.  Without that discussion to spark my curiosity, I probably wouldn't have bothered to run that Poll and would've missed these very interesting results.   :) 

Offline steve_mcdee

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #31 on: May 13, 2017, 07:35:54 AM »
I usually roll a couple of times to get a range of scores I can live with, then adjust stats to suit the class, allowing one point increase to a stat for each point decrease I make to another stat. I try to imagine a character and make the stats suit that character -- so, eg, while I would usually give a fighter a decent STR score, I would not always necessarily give every fighter "exceptional" strength.

Offline OutoftheBlue

« Reply #32 on: November 13, 2017, 01:43:46 AM »
It looks like I do almost the same thing as steve_mcdee who posted above me.  I usually re-roll until I get stats that I like and adjust from there.  For fighters I usually roll until I get exceptional strength and then change Dex and Con to what I would consider decent values (maybe 16 Con and 15 Dex).  I'll lower scores if they seem out of character, if I roll a fighter with 18 Int or a Wizard with 18 Str I usually lower it to an "average" score around 9 to 12.  If hitpoints are low I'll increase them, sometimes trading off with an unimportant stat (ie. Benny the fighter is rolled with 5 hps, I might take 3 points off wisdom and add it to his hits).

When leveling up I will re-roll if I get a bad result.  I notice that i'm pickier at low levels, if I get 6 hps for a fighter a second level I will almost definitely re-roll, if I got that result at level 8 I'd probably just take it (probably because I already have a decent amount of hps banked from lower levels and it doesn't feel like the character is going to get KOed by the next monster that hits him).

Offline hans

« Reply #33 on: November 14, 2017, 02:24:20 PM »
Very early on, I took some of the HP counts of the hirelings in SSI's Pool of Radiance as baseline examples. 

For example, a Hero (4th level fighter) came with 35 Hit Points.  So, I figured that if my Fighters failed to reach at least 35 at level 4, then they were subpar.  If my rolls getting there were not on track to reach that target (35 divided by 4 equaling about 9hp a level up), then I would take do overs.  That became standard practice for me in all the SSI AD&D CRPGs. 

After all, I'd be pretty ashamed if my guys were outclassed by petty hirelings.   :P