Author Topic: Remove "Current Game Design:" text?  (Read 266 times)

Offline steve_mcdee

• Dungeon Craft Tester
Remove "Current Game Design:" text?
« on: March 07, 2017, 10:03:16 PM »
Does anyone know how to remove (or change the location, or content, of) the text on the FRUA main menu screen that reads "Current Game Design: XXXX.DSN"? I have looked several times but have not been able to find this documented in ckitform.txt, uagivens.txt or my own notes. Ideally, I would like the name of the design to display (as it does below already) but without this additional text.

Offline Nol Drek

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • Nol Drek's Web Site
Re: Remove "Current Game Design:" text?
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2017, 11:36:28 PM »
The text string "Current Game Design:" is located at offset 582694 (dec) in the ckit.exe file. You should be able to replace that text with all spaces.

In order to delete the "design.dsn" text or move it off screen, I would look for a pointer to the above text string, somewhere near the character creation menu text string pointers. Sorry I can't be more help right now, but I'm in the middle of a one-week challenge.
"Into the Drachensgrab Mountains!"

http://www.noldrek.com

Offline steve_mcdee

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2017, 11:58:00 PM »
Thanks Nol, that is a helpful start at least. I don't know why I didn't pick that up myself in UGE.

I have removed the text "Current Game Design" but of course the "XXXX.DSN" text is still sitting there, now looking kind of weirdly off-centre. So I think what I need to find is the pointer for that XXX.DSN input, rather than the pointer for the "Current Game Design" text string (unless the former is somehow determined by the latter).

Don't worry, this can certainly wait more than a week. I'm looking forward to seeing all the output from this challenge.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2017, 12:13:32 AM by steve_mcdee »

Offline steve_mcdee

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2017, 05:27:29 AM »
Hi Nol. Sorry to bump this but I wondered whether you might have a chance to think about this further since the completion of the one-week challenge? I'd also like to be able to position the second line of text on the main menu screen one line lower ...

Also (on an unrelated note), I notice that you posted SCRIPT.GLB in the v1.3 sticky. A glance at the file shows a lot of the text used in the editor, which is not editable (or not obviously editable, anyway) in UGE. Is it possible to change those in-editor text strings by changing them in SCRIPT.GLB? Can you explain (in a rough way) how SCRIPT.GLB works? I notice that it includes text such as the default spell and race names; will it still function as intended if, for example, I have altered the spell or race names?

Offline Nol Drek

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • Nol Drek's Web Site
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2017, 07:36:00 PM »
The SCRIPT.GLB file is not nearly as well documented as the CKIT.EXE is.

It contains a lot of the forms that are used by the editor, not just for events, but also for other things.

51-57:  Other editing forms:
      51:  Dungeon module global info
      52:  Overland module global info
      53:  Game settings (GAME001.DAT)
      54:  Monster editor
      55:  Clear dungeon module
      56:  Clear overland module
      57:  NPC editor

Offline steve_mcdee

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2017, 05:07:45 PM »
Hi Nol (or anyone else who might be able to help)

I tried using your script.glb file that appears in the v 1.3 sticky. When I tried to use it with the design I have been working on, it causes an "out of far memory" problem and FRUA freezes. Quite a lot of error-information seems to come up, which means nothing to me but might assist you to understand what is going wrong.

My design is heavily hacked with CKIT hacks and other hacks, so this may possibly have something to do with it. However, the oaua version of script.glb does seem to work fine with my design.

I wondered if you had ever experienced this problem, or whether you know what might be causing it. I am quite keen to use your script.glb file with my design if I can, since I want edited monster stats to work!

If it would help you to help me, I'm happy to send you a copy of my design-in-progress so you can see the issue.

Offline Nol Drek

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • Nol Drek's Web Site
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2017, 05:37:59 PM »
The script.glb which I posted in the 1.3 thread is the same one that comes with the old "bugfix" design from many years ago.

Offline steve_mcdee

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2017, 06:02:36 PM »
Yes, I realise that. I wasn't meaning to attribute it to you if you weren't involved in its development. It's just that you seem to understand how it works to some degree, so I was hoping you might be able to see why it was causing a problem.