Author Topic: QUESTION: in-game movement keys  (Read 514 times)

Offline Kaz-Keith

QUESTION: in-game movement keys
« on: February 18, 2017, 01:40:40 PM »
from my understanding, FRUA utilises movement keys as follows:

arrow up = move forward
arrow right = turn and face right
arrow left = turn and face left
arrow down = turn completely around

I had thought there was a way to actually move completely left or right and still 'face forward'... when using the toolset to edit an area and moving through environment in 3d mode, using the numpad (with numpad lock ON) the 7 and 9 key allows for moving in this way (strafe mode) but not during actual gameplay.

Help?

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
Re: QUESTION: in-game movement keys
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2017, 04:12:53 PM »
To my knowledge, movement like this has never been a thing in the Gold-Box games.  Remember, these games were developed during an era where people played them with joysticks (I used one on my Commodore 64).  You might be confusing it with movement from the Eye of the Beholder series, which did allow for strafe movement.
LANDS OF ADVENTURE: An Old-School Style CRPG

More Information Here: http://landsadventure.blogspot.com/

Offline Kaz-Keith

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2017, 06:01:25 PM »
Ah okay, thanks Ben.

I was confused as you can strafe while inside the toolset but not while actually playing... your comment makes the most sense to me :)

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2017, 05:23:55 AM »
I don't claim to have 100% knowledge about the Gold Box games, to be clear, so if someone else knows something I don't I hope they speak up about it.
LANDS OF ADVENTURE: An Old-School Style CRPG

More Information Here: http://landsadventure.blogspot.com/

Offline SilentThief

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2017, 02:03:43 PM »
have to confirm, but I seem to remember this in FRUA. I never tested this but I wondered if this would be a way to bypass or key some of the event triggers (arrive facing direction Blah Blah)

I have a laptop and a chromebook, neither of which have the extended keyboard so I am unable to test this at this time

ST the testing

Offline hans

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2017, 03:06:14 PM »
from my understanding, FRUA utilises movement keys as follows:

arrow up = move forward
arrow right = turn and face right
arrow left = turn and face left
arrow down = turn completely around

I had thought there was a way to actually move completely left or right and still 'face forward'... when using the toolset to edit an area and moving through environment in 3d mode, using the numpad (with numpad lock ON) the 7 and 9 key allows for moving in this way (strafe mode) but not during actual gameplay.

Help?

Correct.  I use this function all the time when placing walls when I design a dungeon. 

Numpad lock, however, has been unnecessary on any of my recent computers (for more than a decade, IIRC).

Offline Ray

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2017, 10:13:33 AM »

Feeling totally out of the loop, here!  I had no idea that strafing was possible in the editor!   :-[

Offline Kaz-Keith

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2017, 12:01:48 PM »
Numpad lock, however, has been unnecessary on any of my recent computers (for more than a decade, IIRC).

Heya Hans!  Yea - sorry I should have been a bit more actionary instead of reactionary there-  I am using a fairly standard setup with a current desktop, DOSBox and UAshell.

* Strafing is possible in editing, without numlock necessary
* Strafing doesn't appear possible in game play

I used to hunt for secret doors in 90's era games (EoBs, Dungeon Hack, Lands of Lore) by strafing to pick out the sort of subtle differences in walls.  I believe Ben's right that I've either misremembered or assumed that I've done it playing goldbox games.

The reason this comes up currently is if strafing is allowed, I would have to edit events to detect facing direction for certain graphics to display correctly... I have tried several variations of activating a strafe mode while playing FRUA, none working.  It's one of those things that I should have just gone ahead and assumed that the average FRUA player would be playing average-wise... but then this is one of those prickly perfectionistic things I should have been addressing from the first, eh?  :D

*edit: Thanks guys for the responses:  I am going to guess that strafing isn't possible during FRUA play and go from there :)