Poll

Should projectile weapons have separate ammo?

Yes
2 (33.3%)
No
3 (50%)
Don't care, just get on with making things
1 (16.7%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Author Topic: Hero Craft: Projectille Weapons  (Read 389 times)

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
Hero Craft: Projectille Weapons
« on: January 24, 2017, 01:28:53 PM »
I realize that in a superhero setting that we need some trick arrows for your Elite Archer types, but what about everything else? Do guns need bullets as a separate item, or should the combatants just keep shooting until they have won or lost?

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
Re: Hero Craft: Projectille Weapons
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2017, 07:07:30 PM »
There have been guns in Gold-Box games before (Buck Rogers).  Most of them didn't require ammo.  While it's not "realistic," there's nothing more fun-breaking than having to stop using your favorite weapon because you ran out of ammo.  So, for that reason, I voted "no."
LANDS OF ADVENTURE: An Old-School Style CRPG

More Information Here: http://landsadventure.blogspot.com/

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2017, 07:33:15 PM »
I was looking at gguns and ammo that I had made for a modern setting - real world hand guns and rifles, real world ammo. It occurred to me that no one really wants to spend the time reserved for game playing worrying about having a gun that use .38 calibre bullets, but the only ammo they can find is .44 calibre. Probably not even in the "realistic" setting I was working on, but especially not in a super hero setting.
Even with the greatly diminished options in Hero Craft, there would still be four or five types of ammo, just for guns, not counting bows and crossbows.
Now, I could just encourage designers to leave lots of ammo lying around, like after every combat with an enemy with a gun, you get another 100 rounds. And I am not opposed to that kind of game.
But, I voted no too, because I think it might be more fun if you get to use your super powers instead of worrying about running out of bullets. (Not that you couldnt do a thing with a Punisher style character where bullets were important and game play was fun...)

I can certainly see both sides of this one. :)

Offline Nol Drek

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • Nol Drek's Web Site
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2017, 07:50:03 PM »
All gun-toting super heroes have the "Unlimited Ammo" super power and can reload their guns as a free action. I vote no as well.
"Into the Drachensgrab Mountains!"

http://www.noldrek.com

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • Dinonykos Dungeon Craft
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2017, 03:13:30 AM »
I realize that I generally enjoy games more which leave the ammo aspect out for standard weapons. A good example is "Eye of the Beholder 2" vs "Lands of Lore" - I am quite often annoyed to run after my own arrows, take them up and put them in the quiver again in EoB, and like that I do not have to think about that in LoL. It is similar with food or visiting the toilet - less realism may result in more fun... And concerning standard bullets, you can certainly take hundreds of them with you without problems.

I could imagine scenarios, though, in which you might want your superhero to need to find ammo and so on.  Thus I voted for the third option. :)
« Last Edit: January 25, 2017, 03:15:14 AM by Dinonykos »
Find four contributions to the Pre-Generated Character Mini-Module Design Contest on my homepage.
New: THE AMBASSADOR'S LETTER, my contribution to the 7-day-challenge.
DINONYKOS DUNGEON CRAFT DESIGN HOMEPAGE

Offline Mechanaut

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2017, 11:23:29 AM »
I seem to have the minority opinion, but... Finite ammo and ammo weight was something important in [for instance] the original Fallout RPGs. In those games you could get your hands on a powerful minigun or flame thrower, but the ammo for those guns was HEAVY stuff, and it often came to making the choice of hauling extra tanks & boxes of bullets ~or~ bringing along a few rockets, and/or dropping some equipment. Part of it is the very need to switch weapons when the ammo runs out, or when something goes wrong with the weapon.  Take the early shooters for [prime] example. Unlike todays FPS [with common ammo drops from corpse looting], the early shooters treated their levels almost like a puzzle, and often doled only just [barely] enough ammo to get through them. Conservation of ammo was a must, and was part of surviving the maps. Getting stuck with no ammo was a real concern for the uncareful. In Doom/Blood/Duke/SW/... you might have to get by with melee attacks until you could find more ammunition; and you were careful when you got some.

I am not a fan of unlimited conventional ammo; in either endless quantity or in uncounted carrying capacity.  In EoB, it could be a pain to hunt down arrows, but it was genuinely nice when you found new ones to replace the ones you'd lost, and/or allowing you more shots than before.   

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2017, 04:58:52 PM »
Well the good news, Mechanaut, is that you can easily do it your way. My modern design items database has at least a dozen types of ammo, so you can be very particular. As teh designer you can make ammo as easily available as you want. I have toyed with the idea of making certain ammo illegal (so, very hard to buy, but possibly found).

I think that if one were doing a gritty street level super hero story, ammo might be a nice thing to use for both game play and story purposes. But, on the other hand ir you are going more for the DC/Marvel comics feel, ammo would just be something to slow gameplay down and kind of be an annoyance.

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2017, 04:51:10 PM »
Okay, I've decided that I will go with an ammo-less system, not counting "trick" arrows and bolts. However, I am going to repost my "guns" database which has lots of types of guns and lots of types of ammo.

anything