Author Topic: add-on for classes database: MONK  (Read 580 times)

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
add-on for classes database: MONK
« on: July 27, 2016, 01:56:54 PM »
add-on for classes database: MONK

This add-on is to add the 1e monk to default DC (or to your own design if you like).
This one may require some extra steps by the designer, if so I will explain fully. This add-on will require multiple databases to be updated.

Is anyone familiar with Dragon Magazine #53? It's a revision of the Monk class to work better in AD&D 1e. I'm still reading the article, it may figure into my creation of this class. Comments encouraged. :)
« Last Edit: July 27, 2016, 07:29:42 PM by manikus »

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
Re: add-on for classes database: MONK
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2016, 04:10:23 PM »
Maybe some of you know nothing about the monk...so I've attached the PHB section on monks.

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2016, 12:55:03 PM »
I have read all kinds of background on this class - looking at everything I could find that EGG said about it. He had publicly stated before he left TSR and multiple times afterwards that if he would have been around for 2e he would have moved Monk out of the PHB and into OA. He also wouldn't have required the challenging of other monks to gain levels starting at level 8 - would have moved it higher. I'm not going to use any of his changes or the Dragon magazine changes. This will be as close to the 1e PHB as I can get it.

With that being said, the baseclass, class and items databases are done. They were the easy part. I am now on teh Special Abilities. This may take a while, it may take a while for me to even figure out if I can do all of them. :)

Offline Uatu

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • World's Edge
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2016, 10:38:05 AM »
I've just posted elsewhere about the monk :D  Besides, my theory is that the monk is essentially based on Kwai Chang Caine of the old "Kung Fu" series (franchise).  Back then, that was big!

But of course in Chinese "wuxia" novels/movies, weapons are very much a part of the great masters' arsenals (especially swords, which are seen as heroes' weapons).  (Buddhist) monks might use different weapons, such as staves, shovels, chopsticks, etc.  Daoist ascetics seem to have preferred the sword most.  But since the Kung Fu series was about (Buddhist) monks, the sword-wielding immortals got kind of cut out of the action!
More Dungeon Craft Art at my Web Page: http://dhost.info/uatu

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2016, 12:53:56 PM »
I suspect you are right as to the origins of this class. EGG said that he was going to move it to the appendices in 2nd edition, and then after leaving TSR, said that should have never included it in the base game, but in an Asian-themed add-on.

I want to make this as close to the version in the rulebooks and let the designer decide how she wants to handle it.

Personally, if I were going to add a monk class, I would go one of two ways with it, or maybe add both as different classes. first way (and one I would most likely go with), the monks would be more like knights, I'm thinking something along the lines of the Knights Templar - devoted to their faith and specializing in a weapon, which means that they could still use other weapons but at a penalty "to hit", etc. They would be like a super-focused paladin, but without spell casting abilities, instead having a number of immunities and resistances gained at particular levels. Second, I would go for a more traditional RPG monk, but based on Savate (French) and Fun Runs/Parkour (English/French). Weapon use at a penalty and only leather armor allowed.

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2016, 02:35:43 PM »
Here are a couple of monk icons that I made a very long time ago to get us in the mood for the monk class. :D

Offline ArmorNox (Funky Dynamite)

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2016, 04:42:10 PM »
Oh, wow, Monks!  Great idea!  Always glad to see Monks getting the love....  Then again, I'm bias.  The Monk class is one of my favorite classes...ever.
Are we talking how to integrate them with the other classes?  I also think Uatu is dead.  "Kung Fu" was big back then.  Yes, I know I'm showing my age, as I think as we all are.   But as a DM, GM, who has the capability of bringing in multiple strange elements and making them work, I have never seen the trouble of putting Monks in with Knights, rogues and such.  I know it is not popular with this crowd, but I personally think 3e handled their integration the best I've seen.  I know mostly 2e  and some 3e, which is what my group plays now, I do not really know 1e.  At any rate, in 3e monk temples litter the landscape, and folks can enter, train, and later adventure.  It's sort of a cross the monks from the east -and- the west....
If we are talking how to implement them in engine,  I have already done it in a way on my designs.  I made a weapon that was undroppable, etc., I called it Knuckles, but, as you may know, it can be called anything.  When it's readied, the character can attack twice a round (or whatever the technical term is in DC)  It is very important it's not cursed, so that it can be unreadied so the character can wield a staff, a nunchucku, or the like. 
I did the same for a "chi blast".  I made a undroppable sling with  the appropriate animations.  Come to think of it, I also did that with shuriken....
As for upgrading the fist weapon, I'm assuming one could make a custom temple in which the weapon was replaced with a better one with more damage or more attacks. Likewise for the blast....  But beyond that....
Really basic, basic stuff, but it bears to be said.....
"Where does he get those -wonderful- toys?!"
"Why, I sell my soul, of course...."

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2016, 06:31:27 PM »
The issues I have to figure out are 1) giving special abilities at particular levels, and 2) figuring out the specific special abilities.

As the dude making something for everyone to use, it is my goal to have just a set of databases/scripts for people to sue, and not have them need to remember to add chains to events, etc. ;D

Also, I think you meant to say that Uatu is "dead on". ;)

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2016, 07:11:33 PM »
Yes. I did.  sorry about that.
Anyway. Is the Paladin in DC handled like that?  As they level they get abilities, or is it like they get a set of abilities and off they go?  I'm assuming their lay on hands gets stronger...?

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2016, 07:29:07 PM »
Making abilities stronger dependent upon level is easy (like for Paladins), it's the givving new abilities at a certain level that is the new thing for me.

However, ,writing that above line it hits me...I can give the Monk all of the abilities upon creation and just not have them work before the certain level. D'oh! That is so much easier.

also, we can tell in DC if a combatant is using a weapon or not, so it shouldn't be too hard to give bonuses only if empty-handed.

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2016, 07:49:03 PM »
Bingo....
That's among the lines of what I was thinking.

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2016, 01:14:24 PM »
I looked at the Monk class last night to jot down some notes. I think most of it doable. I need to work on some other projects first and I will do this one. :D

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2017, 07:22:48 PM »
I need this for the Pantheons add-on, so will fnish it up after I do the illusionist add-on. Checking on the status shows me that I am quite a bit farther along than I recall being. :D

I have enough icons, certainly. I am lacking portraits, but I know that hans did some great ones for OAUA that I can DC-ize in a pinch, or if I really get my act together, I will render some.

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2017, 02:15:58 PM »
For my sanity, I needed to take a little break from Hero Craft, so I thought I would take another shot at the Monk...

Funny the difference a little time makes. Suddenly everything was clear and I outlined 75% of the special abilities and have actually finished 25% of them. :D

There are a couple of monk abilities that can't be done in DC as special abilities but that the designer can emulate through events. I've stopped worrying about them, and will create notes on how a designer can emulate these couple of things.

I think I am good for icons, but still need portraits (I have none at this point).

Figuring out a relatively easy way to give abilities at particular levels, I have learned a lot that will help in a move to do thief-acrobat, cavalier and barbarian classes.

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2017, 02:11:46 PM »
Okay, I don't know how this happeened, but I finished all of the Special Abilities for the monk class. ;)

I still need to add a bunch of SAs to items and spells so that two of the abilities work correctly, and then it will be time for alpha testing. :D

I had mentioned in an earlier post that there was an article in Dragon Magazine (issue #53) that updated the 1e PHB monk in the same way that Unearthed Arcana updated the 1e PHB druid. I have now read the article a couple of times and I think I will do this as well as the version in the PHB. To be clear, I am going to do a second version of the monk, and will post both. The DM version changes highest level and uses d6 instead of d4, and then just a few minor changes - mostly changing when things happen, not what happens.

I will do this add-on a little bit differently than the dinosaurs and underwater add-ons. I will make available versions of the files that have only new and changed items/SAs/spells but also a full set of default databases that have the monk added and integrated.