Author Topic: REVIEW: Neverwhere (by DrkStarr)  (Read 906 times)

Offline Milos Gulan

REVIEW: Neverwhere (by DrkStarr)
« on: June 04, 2016, 09:52:15 AM »
Neverwhere
By DrkStarr

Reviewed by Milos Gulan

Dark shadows are upon peaceful town. What adventures will wait for You inside?

1. Story:                   14 -     Very good and interesting. Nothing epic but very nicely done all together. There are some details that are really outstanding like rogue's guild with secret tunnels trough town, though they were not very usable but great idea nevertheless.
2. Presentation:       14  -     Very good. At the moment excelent, every detail was on its place.
3. Combat:              13   -     Good, lots of undead and surprisingly this was module that I was not bored with them like most of the time. That means those were undeads with soul.
4. Rewards:             13   -     Good, though nothing really outstanding. I was missing one magical two handed sword with background story most of the time.
5. Programming:     14   -     Just great. Maps are great and fiting all together must have been a challenge.
6. Playability:          15   -     This is stronger part of the module, I never played adventure with so much undead that was so interesting. One advice play it during nightime, it really adds to the atmosphere.
7. Artwork:             14   -    Lots of good art and really well implemented in the module.
8. Music:                 14   -    I guess good, my lap top doesn't have sound except headphones and I am often lazy to put them on so, this is just from frist few hours of playing.
9. Bug-free:            14   -    Very good, everything works.
10. Inventiveness:  14 - I am surprised how all is very nicely done, I guess it is inventive, though as I have not played much of the modules. At least for me idea for module was new.

Overall:                  13.9  -    I started playing this module around 4pm with bright sun upon my window and it was painful but later started playing during the night and really starting to enjoy it. I expected it to be shorter but it is longer module and takes some time to finish which is a good and interesting thing. There are lots of characters in the module and all details are very nicely dune. I am impressed all together. I wish I could make modules like this. Awesome adventure that is comparable with any good Ravenloft story. Finaly not to forget, I was missing Two Handed sword all the time, and at the end there is no chance to export character, except that and few typos all was just perfect.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2016, 09:59:04 AM by Milos Gulan »

Offline PetrusOctavianus

Re: REVIEW: Neverwhere (by DrkStarr)
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2016, 12:17:44 PM »
So what scale are you using for those scores?

Offline Milos Gulan

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2016, 11:45:09 PM »
1-18+ :)

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2016, 07:16:37 AM »
When you say "1-18+," does the '+' mean that 18 isn't the upper limit?
LANDS OF ADVENTURE: An Old-School Style CRPG

More Information Here: http://landsadventure.blogspot.com/

Offline Milos Gulan

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2016, 10:53:01 AM »
Yes it is like Ad&d 1-18 but it can go up to 40 though in The Throne of Bloodstone it went up to 100 :) I was thinking that it might be interesting to use Ad&d measures for stats for reviewing of modules :icon_study:

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2016, 02:00:42 PM »
I don't think this answers our questions at all.  If you have no upper limit, then the numbers are pretty meaningless. 

Oh well.

Let's move on and leave this thread alone for future reviews.  If you want to continue discussing this, we'll start a new thread in the General Discussion area.
LANDS OF ADVENTURE: An Old-School Style CRPG

More Information Here: http://landsadventure.blogspot.com/

Offline hans

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2016, 11:37:19 PM »
"Neverwhere" by Dark Star is a very enjoyable and well-made mod.   :thumbsup:

Mostly a dark & spooky dungeon crawl, there's a lot to do: undead to kill, people to meet, minor quests to accomplish, and some game-changing decisions to make.  The gameplay was challenging, but well-balanced. 

The story is unusual and interesting, and I really liked the dramatic, unexpected ending. 

There's some nice, new art, some new monsters, and a few cool new items.  There is also some new music (which <minor critique> I would've liked to have heard more often within the mod). 

I found no bugs, but many secret doors were really not that "secret."  My few minor quibbles, however, in no way detracted from the mod's enjoyment. 

I would've finished playing it much earlier than this (Average Playtime is given as 7-10 hours), but I could only play it in brief spurts because of my prior commitment to work on my own mod.  Now that I'm done playing "Neverwhere," I'll miss it.  I really came to look forward to spending a little bit of time there at the end of my day. 

I hope we won't have to wait another 15 years for your next mod, Dark Star!   :)

« Last Edit: July 02, 2016, 11:38:55 PM by hans »