Author Topic: PREVIEW: The Case of the Stolen Masterpiece  (Read 7084 times)

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • Dinonykos Dungeon Craft
PREVIEW: The Case of the Stolen Masterpiece
« on: January 06, 2016, 03:59:19 PM »
With two designs completed in 2015, and 'Rise of the Insectoids' almost completed, I have now started working on another design: 'The Case of the Stolen Masterpiece'. With this design, I try to combine aspects of mystery/detective stories and games with a 'classical' high fantasy setting. Fortunately, I have support from a great artist who, additionally, has much more knowledge concerning typical AD&D-like settings than I have: Uatu.  ;D

In other words: I design the adventure and also do some new music. Uatu helps me with the setting (and language, I hope...). The art will mainly be Uatu's, with some additions from me which will mimic Uatu's style as good as possible. As an example, in the screenshot below, you can see a wall and a background done by Uatu with a door and torch overlay done by me, and two of Uatu's dwarves which I changed into "NPC" walls". The screen layout is also based on frames done by Uatu.

The idea behind the design is that the two characters of the party have to solve a crime. However, the culprit is randomly set at the beginning of the adventure, as are the respective hints and evidence. If it works as planned, there will be eight different variations, and thus, I hope, a great replay motivation... :D
Find four contributions to the Pre-Generated Character Mini-Module Design Contest on my homepage.
New: THE AMBASSADOR'S LETTER, my contribution to the 7-day-challenge.
DINONYKOS DUNGEON CRAFT DESIGN HOMEPAGE

Offline Milos Gulan

Re: PREVIEW: The Case of the Stolen Masterpiece
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2016, 06:30:26 PM »
Fantastic :) oh well off to work we go ;)

Offline Nol Drek

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • Nol Drek's Web Site
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2016, 07:58:25 PM »
Is it just me, or are those Dwarves supposed to be 2 feet tall?
"Into the Drachensgrab Mountains!"

http://www.noldrek.com

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2016, 01:28:34 AM »
Er... no, rather 4 feet. I calculated that the eye height of a normal human would be 170 cm, and that this should be the same height as the center of the image. Maybe I should rather set the center of the image to 150 to 160 cm...

EDIT: I thought this over... the adventure will take place in a dwarf town. I think it is all right that the dwarves have walls of regular height (300 to 340 cm), but maybe we could make doors and other things smaller to make it more convincing.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2016, 02:59:11 AM by Dinonykos »
Find four contributions to the Pre-Generated Character Mini-Module Design Contest on my homepage.

Offline Milos Gulan

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2016, 05:00:24 AM »
Now looking at it, Nol might be right. They are a bit small. I also need to set up size of my sprites but yet have to come to that. For size of the walls and doors I don't think that Dwarves should build things smaller except in rare cases when dwarves only will use them. Probably they should have some dwarven style doors or walls ect but what I remember is that they are good builders and can do things better then most, especialy with stone and precious metals and gems.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2016, 05:01:55 AM by Milos Gulan »

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2016, 09:06:31 AM »
I thought this over a second time. Now I think that it would be more reasonable to assume that the horizon in DC (at 106 px in the 211 px viewport) should be 160 cm high. That would almost be the eye height of an average elf and a good compromise. With this approach, I think the dwarves will look more convincing. I admit that above, they look as if they are as small as halflings or gnomes...

Offline steve_mcdee

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2016, 05:03:29 PM »
Looks Great Dinonykos!

Should that character be Sherlos of Hemlock? (I presume that "Sherlas" "Hemlock" was designed as an anagram of "Sherlock Holmes"?)

As to the scaling issue, my eye is drawn to the door. I would tend to assume that it is a normal size door, a little taller than a fully grown human. Then I get a feel for how big other objects are. On that basis, the dwarves do seem pretty short.

Offline Adam

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2016, 05:24:24 PM »
The random nature of the plot seems really interesting, and the screenshot (though I also have the tiny dwarf feeling) is also promising. Makes me want to install Dungeon Craft too...

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2016, 12:41:51 AM »
With my new calculations, the dwarves would be ca. 50% higher - I guess it will look reasonable then.

Concerning "Sherlas": I was not aiming at an anagram, just at a close similarity. Then, I thought that a plant name would be good for an elf/halfelf, and thus the hemlock (Tsuga) was a good option. And I wanted to have an "-as" ending. I had not realized how close it is to a real anagram until you mentioned it...  :-[  :) I think I will stay with "Sherlas" since I doubt that "Sherlos" sounds like an elvish name, but - excellent observation! :D

Concerning "Dr Gottlieb Conanson": Watson is named "John" = "Johannes" which means "God is merciful". "Gottlieb" could be interpreted as "loved by god". There will be more of such reminiscences in the game... :)

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2016, 03:00:57 AM »
... and the screenshot (though I also have the tiny dwarf feeling) is also promising.
"The problem of the tiny dwarf" (would also be a good title... :) ) should be solved with my new calculations done for the sketch above. The dwarfs will be ca. 50% taller.

Makes me want to install Dungeon Craft too...
The good thing is that you don't even need to install the DC editor - the DC designs work as standalones. Older designs from the design list (http://ua.reonis.com/index.php?topic=1302.0) might have problems if you try to run them in Win 8.0/10.0 (since most of them are done with DC 0.914 or older versions), but that can be solved by using programs like D3D Windower. On Windows 7, they all should run by just moving the design folder somewhere and starting the included .exe file

Concerning "The Case...", just to make sure: Uatu and I have just started this project, and I will need some time to get used to DC 2.x (the other designs I finished last year were done with 0.914, still). On the other hand, we want to do it very efficiently, without creating much new art - so I am quite optimistic it won't take too long to finish this.

The random nature of the plot seems really interesting...
I had the idea when playing board games like "Cluedo" and "Who was it?" with my children. The latter uses combinations of characteristics of the suspects (like size, hair length, shoe/boot type etc.) - one certain combination describes the suspect. Hints concerning these characteristics are given by eye witnesses. I want to do something similar. What I am just considering is if the game should, and if so, how to keep track of the different hints, or if only the journal is used to allow the player to keep track of the hints. Keeping track could be done with several quests/variables (which would probably be the best approach here), but I also thought about using a ternary or quaternary numeral system for all possible combinations, transfering the combinations into a decimal number and just using one quest. Other things taken into account are if the witnesses can give false information (because, the culprit could have used a masquerade). Once I am sure about the concept, designing the game itself would not be too difficult.

Offline steve_mcdee

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2016, 04:04:36 PM »
With my new calculations, the dwarves would be ca. 50% higher - I guess it will look reasonable then.
Concerning "Dr Gottlieb Conanson": Watson is named "John" = "Johannes" which means "God is merciful". "Gottlieb" could be interpreted as "loved by god". There will be more of such reminiscences in the game... :)
And Wat about Conan?

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2016, 05:56:08 PM »
Well, 'Conanson' combines the second name of Arthur Conan Doyle and the "-son" from Watson... Since Dr Watson is used as a kind of surrogate story teller by Conan Doyle and both the invented (Watson) and the real story teller (Doyle) are doctors, I thought it would be reasonable to fuse the names.

Offline steve_mcdee

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2016, 05:56:42 PM »
Okay, I get it. Good one.

Offline Uatu

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • World's Edge
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2016, 07:42:05 PM »
Great screenshots!  :D  I like what you've done to the backdrop frame, too.
More Dungeon Craft Art at my Web Page: http://dhost.info/uatu

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2016, 03:49:17 PM »
I am happy that you like it...

I have now resized one of the "Dwarf-NPC-walls".
« Last Edit: January 09, 2016, 03:53:48 PM by Dinonykos »

anything