Author Topic: Invisible walls in area view  (Read 1380 times)

Offline steve_mcdee

• Dungeon Craft Tester
Invisible walls in area view
« on: December 13, 2015, 05:53:03 PM »
Is there any way to create an "open" wall that does not show up looking like a "door" when seen in area view?

What I would like to do is create a passable wall that is *nearly* blank, but I don't want a player using area view to see it as though it was a door.

Any ideas?

Offline OutoftheBlue

Re: Invisible walls in area view
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2015, 11:46:42 PM »
In FRUA wouldn't you just make it a secret door?  It should show up as a wall in area view, but could be detected by searching.

Offline steve_mcdee

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2015, 11:54:54 PM »
Thanks for the idea. A secret door displays in area view as a solid line (ie, like a wall). I am hoping to have this wall display as a blank. (There is also the additional problem that a secret door gives you unwanted text when searching adjacent to it and when you pass through it.)

Offline Ben J

• Keeper of the 44 quest variables
  • Dungeon Craft Tester
  • "See how I reward those who fail me!"
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2015, 05:11:02 AM »
If you don't want the door to be detectable as a secret door, create a "locked door" from a wall. It won't show up as a door, and the party will be able to bash it in and pass through.

Disregard that. Turns out I remembered it wrong, and you also wanted the wall to show up as "blank".
« Last Edit: December 14, 2015, 05:43:34 AM by Ben J »
Released designs:

The Sect

Offline Null Null

• Maker of excessively difficult vanilla mods
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2015, 08:19:33 AM »
Walls using the 'blank' graphic (black on the editor) will bar progress but will not show up as walls on area view.

You want nearly blank though...

Offline Adam

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2015, 08:59:07 AM »
I had the same problem with my "decorative elements" a month ago. Couldn't find any solution so I just settled with a realtively ugly area view, and moved on to other more pressing matters.

I think the answer may be in the geo*.dat file. The 576*6 bytes from offset 322 describing the map data (http://frua.rosedragon.org/faq/h7b1.htm) could possibly contain this information as well, but thats all I've found, and I haven't done any experimenting yet.

Offline hans

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2015, 09:54:49 AM »
I've never done it, but I'm under the impression that it's possible to hack the graphics of the area display...

Offline steve_mcdee

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2015, 02:23:40 PM »
Thanks for the responses guys. Looks like this one might be out of the realm of the reasonably possible (for me).

What I had in mind was to create a backdrop which included a picture of the red and white moons (to remind players in a kind of cool, subtlish, way that this is a Dragonlance mod). But in FRUA it is not possible to have different backdrops depending which direction the party is facing.

So I thought of creating a "wall", mostly blank but with a picture of the moons, with the intention of using it on one side (say the west) of each cell that does not otherwise have a western wall, so that whenever the player was facing west it would appear that the backdrop included the moons (but not when facing n, s or e). I think this might have been too hard anyway, because where I use low walls I would need multiple versions of those walls as well. I would run out of wall slots.)

I think it would probably be somewhat annoying / too unrealistic to have the moons showing in the sky as part of the backdrop (in the same place in the sky) in all directions. So I am probably going to elect to have no moons showing.

Offline Null Null

• Maker of excessively difficult vanilla mods
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2015, 04:52:10 PM »
That's effing brilliant. Just the sort of subtle touch that says 'Dragonlance' without looking like you're trying too hard.

Just cover the sky with clouds. ;)

Offline Adam

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2015, 05:19:43 PM »
Had a quick look at the geo*.dat file. The first byte of the six byte array codes the passability and graphics data. Only walls with graphics data 0 (empty wall) are blank in the area view. There is no other distinguishing data between an open wall and an open blank, thus this cannot be achieved be geo*.dat editing only - it needs extensive hacking of the ckit file, as well as geo*.dat hexediting.

Offline steve_mcdee

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2015, 04:27:17 PM »
That's effing brilliant. Just the sort of subtle touch that says 'Dragonlance' without looking like you're trying too hard.
In case you're interested, this is how that thought bubble looked before it popped.

anything