Author Topic: REVIEW: DAN FIN - AYDERFALL ADVENTURES (by DrDan)  (Read 463 times)

Offline hans

REVIEW: DAN FIN - AYDERFALL ADVENTURES (by DrDan)
« on: September 28, 2015, 07:46:19 PM »
Daniel "DrDan" Martin's recently released vanilla mod "DAN FIN - AYDERFALL ADVENTURES" is GoldBox in style, epic in scope, and very enjoyable.

There are lots of minor quests, all related to the main plot.  So many, in fact, that I expect that I may have missed a few (I often had several running at the same time).  The "Average Playtime" was listed as "10-15 hours" but I probably exceeded that estimate.  Not that I am complaining, since it was a gift of several more pleasant hours of gameplay than I was expecting.   

Your party starts at 2500 xp, and mine ended with characters leveled from 9-12.  We were well-stocked with the best magical items by the end, too.  Much to do, places to go, and people to meet.  The combats were mostly moderate in difficulty, but there were some tough ones, particularly near the end.  As I've said before, I like tough battles (there were always some to be found in the old GoldBox games by SSI), so these were a big plus in my book. 

There are quite a few spelling and grammar errors, but which are easy to ignore, especially considering that English is not likely Berliner DrDan's native language.  I encountered no bugs, but some players may object to being ejected from the game after the final fight without the chance to save their characters.  I wouldn't let such minor points keep any of you readers from playing this well-crafted design, however.  It's one of the best vanilla (that is, unhacked) GoldBox-style mods that I've ever played. 

Thanks, DrDan!    :D     

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
Re: REVIEW: DAN FIN - AYDERFALL ADVENTURES (by DrDan)
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2015, 08:24:53 PM »
I didn't get a chance to finish the module yet, but what I have played of it left me nostalgic.  What I mean is that it reminded me of a lot of the modules that I played in the early to mid-90s, during the early days of FRUA before hacks were the norm.  Here is a vanilla module that follows a straight up Gold-Box style formula.  It's something we don't see often anymore, and I didn't realize how much I missed it.

Even the style reminds me of those "early days" authors who hadn't yet mastered all aspects of the engine yet.  There's a lot of growing to do, and I hope the author continues to work and find a voice in the FRUA community.  There are places where I cringe from obvious mistakes that the seasoned designer rarely misses, but none of that distracts from the charm of the overall experience.  It's not the best module I've ever played, but it's the most fun I've had in a while.

« Last Edit: September 28, 2015, 08:27:43 PM by ProphetSword »
LANDS OF ADVENTURE: An Old-School Style CRPG

More Information Here: http://landsadventure.blogspot.com/

Offline DrDan

Re: REVIEW: DAN FIN - AYDERFALL ADVENTURES (by DrDan)
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2017, 01:19:51 PM »
Hans, i just now stumbled upon your review: Wow, thank you very much for your kind words!
Best,
Dan