Author Topic: Which Do You Like Best?  (Read 1735 times)

Offline Vix

• Mmmm ... Spider Slushies!
  • Administrator
Which Do You Like Best?
« on: May 08, 2009, 07:04:04 PM »
Okay, I have an image of a spider I wish to replace:

I have tried and tried to VGA it, but to no avail. They all end up looking crappy.

So I decided to make a new spider image. The problem is I cannot decide which one i want to go with. I'll briefly describe the situation in which the image will be encountered.

It is a barren area, desert-like. Sand, rocks, mountains or forest in the distance, possibly scrub brush. Sand spiders attack the party by surprise. They are supposed to be beige, but I could not get a satisfactory beige image. Which one do you like best, and/or that fits the scene best?

Offline DesertScrb

• Another day, another dungeon.
    • Super Galactic Dreadnought blog
Re: Which Do You Like Best?
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2009, 07:45:12 PM »
I like No. 1 (because of the scrub in the background) and No. 3 (because it just looks like a good VGA image).

Offline hans

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2009, 10:12:33 PM »
No.4 is the most intimidating. 

The spider's mouth (and wonderfully creepy eyes!) are closer and bigger, almost always eliciting a greater sense of danger in the viewer.  (She's got an in-your-face attitude!)   :P 

Moreover, since the spider's whole body is not contained in the pic, it is instinctively impossible for the viewer to fully assess the creature, creating a mystery element that further feeds on our natural fears of the unknown. 

Ah, the psychology of art appreciation...   :D

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2009, 11:10:50 PM »
Number 4 jumped out and grabbed me immediately.  If you're supposed to be surprised by these things, there's nothing more frightening than having them up close. 

What are you more scared of:  A spider crawling on a nearby wall, or the one that just landed on your lap!
LANDS OF ADVENTURE: An Old-School Style CRPG

More Information Here: http://landsadventure.blogspot.com/

Offline JudgeDeadd

• There's a custom title box now?
  • A perfect day for a short walk around the world.
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2009, 02:54:08 AM »
I choose no. 3. No. 4 is a bit unrecognizable, No. 2 is messy, and no. 1 is bland.
“For one who claims to be no more than an observer of this play, you’ve had more than your share of commentary, stranger.”

Offline nologgie

• Non-resident Non-expert
  • Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2009, 06:11:26 AM »
I prefer number 1.
Some days it just doesn't pay to gnaw through the straps.

Offline Vix

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2009, 04:14:27 PM »
I was debating between 3 and 4, myself. I liked 4 for many of the reason hans and Ben expounded. plus it is analogous to the image I am replacing (up close and personal). All images would have required some work, though they technically are ready to go as is.

I think I will go with 4. Clean it up some and release 3 along with is a bonus. I could release all of them, actually, but ... I may just clean up the base image and release it as a reduced color image suitable for placing on backgrounds of your choice?

Offline Vix

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2009, 03:45:30 PM »
I cleaned up and tweaked image 4 and am going with that one.

I am not messing with the others just yet. Actually, I have begun converting the title images for the game I am hoping to make an SE for. 320 x 200 is a lot more work than 88 x 88. ^.^;;;