Author Topic: RPG Maker  (Read 3519 times)

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
RPG Maker
« on: September 18, 2015, 07:51:37 PM »
Anyone use RPG Maker to create things?  I bought RPG Maker VX Ace about a year ago.  I've played around with it a bit and worked on a couple of different ideas using it, but never really finished anything.  I like the flexibility and the ease of use.
LANDS OF ADVENTURE: An Old-School Style CRPG

More Information Here: http://landsadventure.blogspot.com/

Offline Milos Gulan

Re: RPG Maker
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2015, 09:52:44 AM »
What I like about it is good graphics, but some things about game play could be better. There will be new version soon btw, I am curious how it will look like.

Offline Uatu

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • World's Edge
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2015, 07:53:04 PM »
A long time ago, I did make (well, start making) some mods using RPG Maker 2000, I think (well, the Japanese version, RPG Tsukuuru 2000).  It was quite easy to use in a standard way (without scripting), with quite nice graphics in a Japanese console RPG-style, though.

My beef with the system mainly was that the combat system was by default the Dragonquest-style (Dragon Warrior-style) 3rd-person viewport system, which I found boring and tried to change (but it was challenging).  Some people did manage to make Final Fantasy-style sideway viewport systems instead, but that was beyond me.

I don't know if the new version of RPG Maker uses the same kind of sprites, but if you want, I can look for the sprites and background tiles that I had made back then - mostly historical Asian-themed, but some others, too (a mermaid, a dwarf, a knight, a dragon, etc.).

I also played around with Simulation RPG Maker - I don't remember it as well, but it was made by the same company, and created games that were sort of like Shining Force or the like (moving your units around, attacking caused a sideways attack animation-type scene).  I had a game going (with lots of art and units, including a dancer, a monk, etc.), but a fried HDD destroyed all of that...  :(
More Dungeon Craft Art at my Web Page: http://dhost.info/uatu

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2015, 09:08:32 PM »
The newest one (RPG Maker MV) that just came out in October gives the designer the choice between standard face-forward battles or side view battles.  In addition, people can script their own (the system now uses JavaScript, which is probably one of the easiest scripting languages to learn).  When the price drops, I might pick up MV, since it has a few cool features over the last one (RPG Maker VX Ace).

Offline Uatu

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • World's Edge
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2015, 12:03:08 AM »
JavaScript sounds nice - it's always hard to keep up with new languages (the old one had its own language, I think).  Side-view battles sound good :D  I think that people just like to see the faces of their character as they swing swords/shoot arrows/throw fireballs.

The prices for PC games in Japan has always been very steep - I checked for MV, and it is 12,800 yen (like $128), so I guess that price deflation hasn't come yet...  Sigh - no wonder PC games in Japan have always been more of a niche than the console games.

I checked the resolutions for walking sprites - looks like MV ones are 48 x 48 pixels now per frame, compared to 24 x 32 pixels from before, so conversion is not totally straightforward (darn)...  VX Ace looks like it is 32 x 32 pixels (or flexible?) - so it might be easier to use old sprites from 2000...

Offline Milos Gulan

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2015, 02:32:31 PM »
I don't know if the new version of RPG Maker uses the same kind of sprites, but if you want, I can look for the sprites and background tiles that I had made back then - mostly historical Asian-themed, but some others, too (a mermaid, a dwarf, a knight, a dragon, etc.).

That would be nice. I would like to see and maybe use them if possible.

For RPG Maker it looks good :) I would like to have it too :) but hoping that DC will get better :).
« Last Edit: December 01, 2015, 02:35:46 PM by Milos Gulan »

Offline Uatu

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • World's Edge
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2015, 10:42:23 PM »
DC's battles are more fun - I like being able to choose where my PCs are, and how spells will affect an area, and so on - something that most Japanese CRPGs (including RPG Maker) are lacking in...  (I ultimately spent most of my time using RPG Maker to try and figure out how to make an "overland-style" combat - but it was too much work, so I gave up!)

I'll go look for my (very old) art and put it up sometime then!

Offline Milos Gulan

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2015, 07:53:09 AM »
Thank You. I do agree there are good things in RPG Maker and that is mainly graphics, I like 3d birds eye while moving but yeah combats and RPG system is a bit complicated :).

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2015, 08:27:13 AM »
Thank You. I do agree there are good things in RPG Maker and that is mainly graphics, I like 3d birds eye while moving but yeah combats and RPG system is a bit complicated :) .

I wouldn't call it complicated.  Especially if you've played any games like it in the past (any Final Fantasy game, for example).  It's as simple or as complex as the designer wants to make it.

I would say RPG Maker does a lot of things well, more than just graphics, especially if you're trying to build a specific kind of game.  You can't compare it to DC.  They're completely different in what they're trying to do.  JRPGs and Western CRPGs share some similarities, but overall they're different experiences.

Offline Milos Gulan

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2015, 01:06:55 PM »
True. I actualy didn't used good word, I guess not so good would be much better instead of complicated or maybe it just doesn't suit my style. Anyway I have 3 RPG Maker made games in my Steam library and I guess that my main dislike is that somehow system of combat and RPG system used is a bit not so good for me. But it is still very nice :), here it goes what I have:
Steel & Steam: Episode 1 http://store.steampowered.com/app/310450/
Skyborn http://store.steampowered.com/app/278460/
QuestRun http://store.steampowered.com/app/286120/

Btw I was thinking about playing them but I have tried this and believe me it is amazingly good RPG, simple and in the mood of oriental adventures. There is martial arts, weapons, nice story, simple yet easy system and conversation with voice. Well it took most of my free time today :/ Jade Empire™: Special Edition https://www.origin.com/en-ie/store/free-games/on-the-house

Offline Uatu

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • World's Edge
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2015, 11:55:16 PM »
Actually, it's kind of interesting to compare CRPGs of Japan vs. the West.

Both started from tabletop RPGs - except that the West had a lot more actual players, and in Japan it was very niche (and expensive).  In the early days, you could tell that quite a lot in Japanese CRPGs was mooched - such as many monsters in Final Fantasy from the Monster Manuals (beholders, mind flayers, etc.) - and of course the systems were heavily influenced from games like Wizardry (which was popular in Japan).  As Japanese CRPGs became successful, though, they moved in a different direction - made easy since few players were tabletop RPG enthusiasts anyway - and copyrighted monsters mooched from elsewhere were quietly changed to other critters.

AD&D and other tabletop RPGs always had a strong thread of realism in them - like, actual medieval weapons and armor and such - and in a way was a good way to learn about some aspects of medieval times.  Japanese RPGs were always more influenced by manga/anime, on the other hand...  Other differences might be:

- Japanese CRPGs are always big on X element beats Y element; Western CRPGs tend to be more random (certain spells are more affective on certain monsters, but the pattern is not as predictable)
- Japanese CRPGs tend to have arbitrary systems of powering oneself up (say, by equipping crystals), while Western CRPGs are more about either gaining XP or skills.
- Western CRPGs often have actual deities that can be followed, with different results; Japanese CRPGs very rarely have anything like this (maybe because Japan is quite non-religious itself)
- Western CRPG characters seem to be 25-30 years old or so on average, while Japanese CRPG characters seem to be 11-22 :D  Facial hair is almost unheard of...
- And of course, Japanese CRPGs almost never have character creation, while Western CRPGs usually like to have this on the other hand.

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2015, 07:03:22 AM »
Interesting information.

- Japanese CRPGs are always big on X element beats Y element; Western CRPGs tend to be more random (certain spells are more affective on certain monsters, but the pattern is not as predictable)

This is one aspect of JRPGs that I don't like.  Maybe it's just because I'm used to the AD&D-type fantasy games made here.

- Japanese CRPGs tend to have arbitrary systems of powering oneself up (say, by equipping crystals), while Western CRPGs are more about either gaining XP or skills.

I suppose either can work.  Though I've seen a lot of JRPGs that also use a "Gain XP and Level Up In Power" type system.

- Western CRPGs often have actual deities that can be followed, with different results; Japanese CRPGs very rarely have anything like this (maybe because Japan is quite non-religious itself)

Though I have sometimes seen deities that will fight for you (looking at you, Final Fantasy series), even if they aren't calling them deities.  Summoning Odin to smash your enemies is epic in it's own right.

- Western CRPG characters seem to be 25-30 years old or so on average, while Japanese CRPG characters seem to be 11-22 :D  Facial hair is almost unheard of...

Never quite understood this aspect.

- And of course, Japanese CRPGs almost never have character creation, while Western CRPGs usually like to have this on the other hand.

I've certainly seen exceptions in both directions...but they probably just prove the rule.

Offline Uatu

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • World's Edge
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2015, 08:45:21 PM »
I also like the more "random" nature of Western RPGs, too, as opposed to the very neat and organized 4 or 6 elements system of JRPGs.  The main reason, I think, is that Western RPGs tend to start from realism + mythology and then develop their game systems from there, while JRPGs tend to just think of some kind of system first, and then create their game (and stories) afterwards.

You're right about deity names being often used for summons in JRPGs - but yeah, they don't really have their characters worship them :D

The age thing, I think, is again somewhat related to the different origins.  Like, in the West, we have Norse/Greek/etc. mythology, we have Arthurian/etc. legends (and of course related fantasy like Tolkien), and we have realism also as a background - so we expect to see heroes like Lancelot, Merlin, Hercules, etc. - who may even have facial hair sometimes.

Japan has their manga and anime instead :D  For whatever reason, manga/anime tend to feature main characters that are 12-15 years old (probably because the main target audience is about that old).  This leads to fairly unrealistic stories about teams of 12 year olds that somehow are defeating teams of adults with fully developed musculature (and facial hair!) :D  But you do sometimes get "older" people in the teams as well.

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2016, 10:06:30 AM »
Since we've been talking about RPG Maker, I recently got my hands on an extra copy of RPG Maker XP for Steam.  It's an older version of RPG Maker, but a lot of people like it more than the recent RPG Maker titles, and it has a ton of resources and support.

I am giving it away for free to someone who drops me a PM and says that they will actually put it to use.  Drop me a message if you're interested in the key (you must have Steam in order to use it).

Offline Milos Gulan

« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2016, 05:21:30 PM »
Wow I am very interested :) will send PM now.

anything