Author Topic: UASHELL cannot delete files problem  (Read 2434 times)

Offline Nol Drek

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • Nol Drek's Web Site
Re: UASHELL cannot delete files problem
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2015, 06:54:59 PM »
It gets really tedious as it basically means I have to reinstall Uashell each time I want to play or simply reload a savefile.

I'm glad you have a work around for now. My laptop uses Windows 8.1 and UAShell works normally on it.

What I do:
1) Start DOSBox by double-clicking.
2) Type in "UAShell" which leads to a message "GAME02.DSN successfully applied." Press OK.
3) Press F8 to start the adventure. Have fun.
4) At some point, Encamp/Save/Game A/Quit. "Return to Reality?" Yes.
5) This leads UAShell to repeat itself "GAME02.DSN successfully applied." Press OK.
6) Press Alt-X to Exit. (You can also go to the Design menu and pick Exit).
7) Type "Exit" to quit DOSBox.

I mention the above in case you are trying to Exit UAShell by clicking the big red X in the top right corner. This would terminate the batch file in an unexpected way, possibly leaving files in your TEMP folder.
"Into the Drachensgrab Mountains!"

http://www.noldrek.com

Offline Mtdl

« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2015, 11:06:14 PM »
I appreciate the help. Basically, after a fresh install, everything works up to point 5). I get the error message there. The first time a design is applied, it works. The problem occurs as soon as I leave the game, wheter by clicking the big X or by leaving normally as the steps mentionned.

If I leave by closing the window, the problem appears after I reload UAshell. There are never any files in my TEMP directory. I don't believe there is a problem with the installation of FRUA (and UAshell) itself, but rather with my computer (or dosbox?) preventing for some reason the copying and deleting of files. I was thinking it was perhaps windows 8, but since you run it without problems, well...

Offline GoldBoxFan

• "We need more cowbell."
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2015, 10:09:42 PM »
I had the same problem. I got that message mostly when I had a REALM design loaded into UA. The REALM hack seems to be disliked by labtops. I deleted Realm design in question and UAShell went to default. No more can't delete messages.

I also found being on the internet or loading any other program can cause the UAShell to quit working. Sometimes if you tried 2 or 3 times in a row UASHell would work again. Some hacked designs will run in UA because of drop-in files, others won't work without UAShell.

Offline steve_mcdee

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2015, 09:39:37 PM »
One thing that I think can sometimes cause problems is if you are working deep in a folder structure, so that the complete file name (ie all the folder names and the filename itself) is too long. But I think you said you are working in a one-level folder structure, so I am guessing that isn't the cause of your problem.