Author Topic: REVIEW: Buck Rogers XXV: Chaos Factor (by Ben Sanderfer)  (Read 1558 times)

Offline Olivier Leroux

• Administrator
  • Yip, yip, yip!
REVIEW: Buck Rogers XXV: Chaos Factor (by Ben Sanderfer)
« on: February 01, 2009, 11:07:22 AM »
Buck Rogers XXV: Chaos Factor
by Ben Sanderfer

Reviewed by Susan McKinney

Ben, we want more!!! (repeat ad infinitum, ad nauseum) :)

You play a female NEO agent who is out for revenge against the bad guys for killing her man. The plot twists are appropriate and in the right places.

This was a fantastic design. I loved every minute of it. The music you "stole" from Harri was so appropriate. The Buck Rogers hack set (James Rand's, as I believe you stated in the text file) is beautiful to behold. The playing time stated in the text file was correct. It took me a 1/2 hour to play and I want more!!!

There were no spelling boo-boos, grammar problems or technical glitches. It was a wonderful design to play. I truly think you and Harri missed your calling. You should be working for one of the companies putting out professional designs. Your designs are truly "professional" in every way.

Ratings:

* Plot Matter: 10
    * Artwork: 10
    * Hacks: 10
    * Text: 10
    * Events: 10
    * Originality: 10
    * Errors: 10

* Total Rating: 100%

* Mycroft Rating: 10.0

Offline Ben J

• Keeper of the 44 quest variables
  • Dungeon Craft Tester
  • "See how I reward those who fail me!"
Re: REVIEW: Buck Rogers XXV: Chaos Factor (by Ben Sanderfer)
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2010, 05:46:22 PM »
I enjoyed this game a lot, and I wished it was longer. It consisted of only one dungeon module, but I think that was a  prerequisite for the design contest which "Buck Rogers XXV: Chaos Factor" was originally designed for (see UANL #25).

The game's story was very straightforward (but Buck Rogers was nowhere to be seen), the music was excellent, and the graphics as well (albeit I reckon that most of them were taken from the original Buck Rogers games).

Contrary to some of the original contest judges, I didn't think the random combats were tedious. They were probably a little too easy, with all those medikits lying around, and most of the opponents having less than 20 HP.

I wonder if there's an alternate ending: *SPOILER* One of the old reviews spoke of a final boss, but I didn't find one. I also didn't find a way to stop the space station from self destructing. Maybe I missed something, and there's a happy ending hidden somewhere in the game? *END SPOILER*

Three things that I found odd:

-People are still using Platinum in the future.

-The final countdown for self destruction takes place in another continuum of space-time, where ten minutes of game time (one step in search mode) equals one second of countdown-time.

-Area view was turned on, which was very irritating, because the game takes place on different levels, and in area view the rooms appear to be right next to each other.
Released designs:

The Sect

Offline Olivier Leroux

• Administrator
  • Yip, yip, yip!
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2010, 07:08:31 PM »
It was a long time ago that I played this design but I remember I liked it very much, too. You can even see how good it is just by looking at what kind of things Ben J found worth critizing.  ;D

As one who's never read all the UANLs I'm also delighted about that contest page, great find! I've played all but Merric Blackman's design but I never knew these designs were part of a contest. Wow, and Ray scored lowest with one of my favorite Realm mods. Life's full of surprises.  :D [EDIT: Oh, ok, it got penalized for now following the rules.]

« Last Edit: November 04, 2010, 07:11:00 PM by Olivier Leroux »

Offline Ben J

• Keeper of the 44 quest variables
  • Dungeon Craft Tester
  • "See how I reward those who fail me!"
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2010, 03:52:16 AM »
It was a long time ago that I played this design but I remember I liked it very much, too. You can even see how good it is just by looking at what kind of things Ben J found worth critizing.  ;D

Those weren't even criticisms - just oddities.  ;)
Released designs:

The Sect

Offline hans

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2013, 06:06:47 PM »
After seeing all the recent, wonderful Buck Rogers art added to our libraries by GoldBoxFan, I decided to take a look at the current state of all our BR-related hacks and mods.

As part of that search, I went looking back to March, 2000, and replayed Ben Sanderfer's "Buck Rogers XXV: Chaos Factor" (brchaos.zip).  It was a mini-mod released for a UANL contest (1 dungeon, plus 1 more allowed for text overflow). 

The design is quite adroit.  The writing is very nice; with good characterization, an emotional hook, a suspenseful climax and twist-ending.  The art and hacks were assembled adeptly to create a seamless futuristic milieu.     

For a mini-mod, it has a longer than average playtime, as there are many fights.  Playing the game's single-pre-gen PC, I didn't lose any, but needed almost all the medkits I found.  So, I'd say the combat balance was just slightly on the easy side, overall.

The search for keys in the claustrophobic environment was very in keeping with SSI's Buck Rogers games.  The time-limited climax was also very Buck-ish.  I was delighted to have survived it, if just barely.  :P

In all, it's a fun and memorable design.  Now, more than ever, I wish that Ben would go back and finish his more ambitious Buck Rogers project:  "Ghost in the Machine" (Buck.zip).   ;)