Author Topic: REVIEW: Battle of the Djinns (by Toby Freeman)  (Read 1056 times)

Offline Olivier Leroux

• Administrator
  • Yip, yip, yip!
REVIEW: Battle of the Djinns (by Toby Freeman)
« on: February 01, 2009, 10:36:32 AM »
Battle of the Djinns
by Toby Freeman

Reviewed by Rob

This module was a lot longer than the previous two. I thought it was an escape the dungeon and kill the evil mayor thing, but that is just the beginning. Battle of the Djinns turns out to have quite a story to it. My only gripe on that line is that it lacks a good introduction. You learn very little about the REAL story until part way through the first dungeon.

Technically, this module has quite a bit wrong with it. Do only once's are missing, there are a few hanging walls in the first dungeons and some very important events could be missed if you don't take the 'correct' route. I was also frustrated at having nowhere to train until I had killed the mayor, by which stage some characters had enough experience to gain two or three levels.

All in all, though, this is not a bad design. It doesn't bring anything new in, but uses events well and has a good feel about it. Towards the end, the design gets a little Monty Haul'ish, with +3 rings and cloaks quite easy to get. You can also sell your +1 and +2 items and cash them in on wands of fireballs and lightning for everybody.

Still, the game is fun, tells a reasonable story and shows a lot of promise. The design seemed to get better as the game progressed, so here's hoping there's another design from this author on the way.

Offline Olivier Leroux

• Administrator
  • Yip, yip, yip!
Re: REVIEW: Battle of the Djinns (by Toby Freeman)
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2009, 10:39:36 AM »
Battle of the Djinns
by Toby Freeman

Reviewed by Susan McKinney

Your party is thrown into the local prison of the evil mayor. You must escape and usurp the hold he has on the town. Along the way, you help out other political prisoners and eventually put a good guy in Town Hall. After that, you must go and fight various bad guy minions of the Fire Djinn.

The pregen party had the worst THAC0s of any group I've played. I had three combat rounds against 4 mobats where no one (and I mean No One, not even the mobats) hit anything. Some of the combats were a little tough for my (couldn't hit the broadside of a barn) party. Those four mobats I mentioned earlier slaughtered my party at one point. The storyline was interesting and well-plotted.

Ratings:

* Plot Matter: 8
    * Artwork: 7
    * Hacks: N/A
    * Text: 7
    * Events: 5
    * Originality: 8
    * Errors: 8

* Total Rating: 70%

* Mycroft Rating: 7.0

Offline PetrusOctavianus

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2016, 11:39:30 AM »
First dungeon was good, although not very original, the party strating imprisoned and then slowly accumulating decent gear.
But the second dungeon is almost impossible for a lvl 1 party unless you do lots of resting (which is not even possible unless you are lucky enough to find a small tower early) and save scumming.
A party of mid level thieves is very hard for lvl 1 characters and so are Mobats who are very hard to hit and have 27 HP each.
So I'd recommend starting with somewhat higher level characters, at least if you don't use maxed out characters.

Offline PetrusOctavianus

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2016, 04:00:44 AM »
I restarted this design with lvl 3 characters, for which it was much better balanced. At least for a while. You accumulate so much +2-3 gear that you lvl 5 characters walk around with -8 AC, and soon have more money than you can spend, even though the game has several shops that sell high level gear.

Despite being released in 2000 it feels like a typical first generation FRUA module. Not bad, just badly balanced and with several minor bugs/design flaws.

When my lvl 6 party was rewarded with half a dozen +5 weapons near the end I rolled my eyes and called it quits.

anything