Author Topic: Sword Coast Legends - new D&D game with DM mode  (Read 3160 times)

Offline Olivier Leroux

• Administrator
  • Yip, yip, yip!
Sword Coast Legends - new D&D game with DM mode
« on: February 13, 2015, 08:02:28 AM »
Just stumbled across this project announced for release in 2015:
Sword Coast Legends

Apparantly it will include a single player campaign, as well a free DM mode for one Dungeon Master and a group of up to 4 players, allowing to play custom campaigns. Looks are similar to Infinity Engine games, Neverwinter Nights or Dragon Age: Origins. The minimum requirements don't seem too demanding either (Win XP and duocore processor), only downside is, it seems that it will require Steam to play.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2015, 08:04:30 AM by Olivier Leroux »

Offline Nol Drek

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • Nol Drek's Web Site
Re: Sword Coast Legends - new D&D game with DM mode
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2015, 09:03:45 AM »
Dungeon Master Mode: Create your own epic adventure to share with your friends, or enhance their experience in real time as they traverse your dungeon
"Into the Drachensgrab Mountains!"

http://www.noldrek.com

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2015, 09:45:12 AM »
Saw this yesterday.  I'm still not clear if you'll be able to do the kind of things you did in NWN when it comes to editing the core game.  Then again, there isn't a whole lot of information either.  Will we be able to create new maps?  Alter monsters?  Create items?

I'm waiting to find all that out before I get too excited about that aspect.

That said, it still looks like a fun game.  And I'm not too concerned with using Steam.  I'm still shocked when I run into people that don't have a Steam account.  I thought everyone was using it by this point.
LANDS OF ADVENTURE: An Old-School Style CRPG

More Information Here: http://landsadventure.blogspot.com/

Offline Olivier Leroux

• Administrator
  • Yip, yip, yip!
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2015, 12:10:15 PM »
And I'm not too concerned with using Steam.  I'm still shocked when I run into people that don't have a Steam account.  I thought everyone was using it by this point.

Some don't use it out of principle because it ties most games to the online client via DRM and also exactly because everyone else is using it, leading developers to concentrate on this store alone and both customers and developers to give Valve enough power do get away with any restriction of consumer rights they want (case in point, the TOS of Steam was changed a year ago or so, and if you didn't agree with it, your only option was to lose all the games already bought on Steam before the change).

I don't have a problem with using Steam myself, but I do have a problem with Steam exclusivity. Developers should distribute their games via several different channels and let customers decide where to buy them, whether they like the Steam client or would prefer to play the game without it. It's probably convenient to use the Steam client for multiplayer, but it's inconvenient for many to require an online connection or a 3rd party account just to be able to play the single player campaign.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2015, 12:59:44 PM by Olivier Leroux »

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2015, 01:16:13 PM »
I can see your point of view on that.  We can discuss it more if you want, but probably in another thread.  We should keep this thread focused on the original purpose.  ;)

Offline Olivier Leroux

• Administrator
  • Yip, yip, yip!
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2015, 01:47:28 PM »
Yeah, sorry for the digression.  8)

I think the game looks interesting, regardless to what extent it will be moddable. So far, no moddable RPG after FRUA and Neverwinter Nights - be it The Witcher, Neverwinter Nights 2, Dragon Age: Origins, Neverwinter, Driftmoon, Shadowrun Returns, Divinity: Original Sin - has turned out to be as successful and popular as I hoped in this regard, so I don't expect Sword Coast to be the new NWN, but I wouldn't mind to be proven wrong. ;)

To your questions I would add another: How easy will it be for beginners to use the editor to build their own adventures?

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2015, 03:02:41 PM »
Yeah, sorry for the digression.  8)

Pretty sure it was my fault.

I think the game looks interesting, regardless to what extent it will be moddable. So far, no moddable RPG after FRUA and Neverwinter Nights - be it The Witcher, Neverwinter Nights 2, Dragon Age: Origins, Neverwinter, Driftmoon, Shadowrun Returns, Divinity: Original Sin - has turned out to be as successful and popular as I hoped in this regard, so I don't expect Sword Coast to be the new NWN, but I wouldn't mind to be proven wrong. ;)

Not counting RPGMaker or the tons of content created for the Elder Scroll games, eh?   ;)

I'm with you, though.  Especially when it's a D&D based system.

Offline Olivier Leroux

• Administrator
  • Yip, yip, yip!
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2015, 03:39:04 PM »
Not counting RPGMaker or the tons of content created for the Elder Scroll games, eh?   ;)

True, I didn't think of them; no idea about the Elder Scrolls games - did they come with an editor? are there many independent custom campaigns for it or does the custom content mostly consist of mods for the original campaigns? - but RPGMaker definitely is a successful game creator. I guess I just don't like the average JRPG that much, so I forgot about it. :D (But there are some pretty good RPGMaker mods, too.)

I think in most cases I mentioned either the editors require a longer learning process, more time and more skills to build with than UA or NWN, or they are lacking good manuals and tutorials, or they aren't flexible enough to attract many people. UA and NWN (and RPGMaker, I guess) struck a chord because they managed to balance it just right: great flexibility combined with comparatively simple and easy building mechanics that even beginners can work with to create something playable in a short time.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2015, 03:44:14 PM by Olivier Leroux »

Offline Milos Gulan

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2015, 04:41:23 AM »
I am stickling with DC, and FRUA :)

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2015, 11:00:39 AM »
I am stickling with DC, and FRUA :)

Using something new doesn't mean you can't continue to use something old anymore.  Plenty of us used Neverwinter Nights, for example, while still continuing to use FRUA. 

Offline Milos Gulan

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2015, 06:52:35 AM »
My heart is in 2e Ad&d. I doubt they will make something for it :). I like new games like this one  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rbOTQhasnM but, I am sticking to DC/FRUA, though I have to say that I have played some FPS games more then I should, but my computers is getting old too for those new games :).

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2015, 02:31:49 PM »
My heart is in 2e Ad&d. I doubt they will make something for it :) . I like new games like this one  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rbOTQhasnM but, I am sticking to DC/FRUA, though I have to say that I have played some FPS games more then I should, but my computers is getting old too for those new games :) .

There will probably never be another game made on the 2e ruleset.  If you want to limit yourself to just old things, that's your choice.  I assume that means you really won't have anything additional to contribute to this conversation.  Thanks for dropping in.

Offline Ishad Nha

« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2015, 08:36:40 AM »
Baldurs Gate 2 has plenty of mods, they are the closest you will get to a new 2E game.

Offline Milos Gulan

« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2015, 04:11:15 PM »
Yeah that is what I am looking for :) but I guess any D&D can also be playable ;)

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2015, 07:54:25 AM »
Steering this thread back to it's original course, the rumors I'm hearing about this game is that it will have the option for DMs to "create" areas beforehand, which gives me hope that it will have a fully realized toolset like NWN or NWN2.  These are just rumors, though.

All I can find on their website is this blurb:
Dungeon Master Mode: Create your own epic adventure to share with your friends, or enhance their experience in real time as they traverse your dungeon.

Emphasis is mine.  That still sounds promising, though.

EDIT:
I just realized that the pre-order of the Digital Deluxe Version comes with a "tile set" called Lost Mines, which it claims is for DM Use Only, as well as a Beholder that is also for DM Use Only.  It says:

"With this limited pre-order, dungeon masters can even summon the iconic Beholder from the darkest depths of Faerūn and create chilling adventures in the mines of a long lost dwarven kingdom with the Lost Mines dungeon tile set. A custom set of wisps will also serve dungeon masters, foreshadowing their intentions to adventurers daring enough to brave their dungeons."

Check here:  https://swordcoast.com/preorder
« Last Edit: February 20, 2015, 08:00:09 AM by ProphetSword »

anything