Author Topic: EGA combat icons  (Read 16120 times)

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
Re: EGA combat icons
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2015, 08:23:29 PM »
Do you do any icons in VGA?
LANDS OF ADVENTURE: An Old-School Style CRPG

More Information Here: http://landsadventure.blogspot.com/

Offline Adam

« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2015, 08:30:05 AM »
Do you do any icons in VGA?

I work with Paint Shop Pro 6. Pixeling with a fixed palette larger than 32 is not really effective with that tool, but I might have a go at it. For my challenge for the year I will certainly do only EGA icons.

Offline Adam

« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2015, 11:21:16 AM »
Today was the last day of my holiday so I gave myself an extra hour of pixeling for some npc/pc icons. Behold, a small part of the Baldur's Gate npcs!

A lot of pink is going on at the Sword Coast. I liked to stay true to the origin, but EGA is easy to recolor if you don't like purple.

Offline Adam

« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2015, 06:20:49 AM »
Done! Z was a though one. Rolled B for the next week, so its pleasure time. Nevertheless I decided to discard the letter/week constraint. From the next week on I will start to convert the classic D&D module monsters/predefined characters starting from A1.

Zhentarim fighter, zhentil mage, zombie, zorbo, zygraat, Zuggtmoy (suprisingly, she is just that small), zygom, zodar.

+Baldur's Gate npcs: Edwin Odesseiron, Eldoth Kron, Faldorn, Garrick, Jaheira, Kagain, Khalid.

Offline Nol Drek

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • Nol Drek's Web Site
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2015, 12:58:34 PM »
I appreciate all the work that goes into making these icons. I have 3 comments:

1) Your icons are facing to the left. FRUA icons need to face right.
2) I can't tell whether some pixels are meant to be Dark Gray - 54 54 54 (hex) = 84 84 84 (dec) - or are meant to be transparent. Consider adding the color 67 F7 9F (hex) = 103 247 159 (dec) as the last color in your palette 255 (dec) = FF (hex).
3) Since you seem to be using a palette of 19 colors instead of 16, consider using the default FRUA palette, which includes the 16 default EGA values.

Making these 3 changes, your icons would look like the image below. I don't know if my conversion is accurate or not, because I can't tell which pixels are Dark Gray and which pixels are meant to be Transparent.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2015, 01:03:03 PM by Nol Drek »
"Into the Drachensgrab Mountains!"

http://www.noldrek.com

Offline Adam

« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2015, 02:10:34 PM »
Thanks! The .png file is just a showcase. The .zip file contains all the .pcx files in - hopefully - proper FRUA format.

Offline hans

« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2015, 02:11:23 PM »
Great!  Following Nol's suggestions will increase the chances of seeing your fine icons in other people's mods.   :)

Many of our authors (not that we appear to have many at the moment) have limited art skills, and the idea of making these changes themselves might seem too daunting.

Offline Milos Gulan

« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2015, 01:00:23 PM »
Thanks for those icons, they are awesome, especialy BG :) I am converting now to PNGs one by one :D

Offline Milos Gulan

« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2015, 01:53:50 PM »
Although i have to say, most of the FRUA icons i have are without info and I don't know what are they :)

Offline hans

« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2015, 11:30:45 AM »
Although i have to say, most of the FRUA icons i have are without info and I don't know what are they :)

Check out this website: http://frua.corhub.com/ 

You can select "Monster Combat Icons" from the first menu and then Go to see most of the older combat icons in our libraries, sorted by types, and where to find them.

Offline Milos Gulan

« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2015, 04:38:29 AM »
Wow, that site looks great. Thanks for info btw :)

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2015, 10:25:57 AM »
There are a lot of website resources for FRUA listed in the Sticky of the General Discussion area.  Be sure to check them out...that's why they're there.  ;)
LANDS OF ADVENTURE: An Old-School Style CRPG

More Information Here: http://landsadventure.blogspot.com/

Offline Milos Gulan

« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2015, 02:13:44 AM »
Ok, thank You. I will try doing that. Btw I am back on playing FRUA, starting again Neverwinter Nights Offline. I needed some time to check my backup screencaps but now i think i will be able to play again. It is all done in EGA graphics and looks like i will be able to play it for long time. But best thing might be that reference guide that have 100+ pages and have list of all maps and places and monsters. Really great work, i just like how everything is mapped and monsters simple yet very close to Ad&d.

Offline hans

« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2015, 03:46:08 PM »
Adam, have you thought about (or tried) doing any other UA art in EGA?  Like Pics?  Or Sprites? 

Although not necessary, it could be very useful to potential authors of EGA mods to have a way to visually introduce some of these monsters before actual combat...

Offline Adam

« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2015, 06:21:34 AM »
Adam, have you thought about (or tried) doing any other UA art in EGA?  Like Pics?  Or Sprites? 

Although not necessary, it could be very useful to potential authors of EGA mods to have a way to visually introduce some of these monsters before actual combat...

Well, I do thought about doing pictures, sprites, UI and wallsets. Right now I spend a half an hour per day on these icons (~10 min drawing, 20min looking for references), and this is the amount of time I can spare for it - I'm playing "The Sect", and these two consume my daily computer-time.

Maybe after I finish "The Sect", I'll have the opportunity to do some larger works.

A plan of a design is starting to form in my mind so most of the art I'll do may be a bit too design-specific, but there will probably be some standars monster-encounters too.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2015, 06:23:12 AM by Adam »

anything