Veteran
13 (86.7%)
Adept
0 (0%)
Champion
1 (6.7%)

Total Members Voted: 14

Voting closed: February 14, 2009, 11:06:45 AM

Author Topic: POLL: What Challenge Setting Do You Use When Playing Designs?  (Read 3066 times)

Offline hans

Re: POLL: What Challenge Setting Do You Use When Playing Designs?
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2009, 11:34:08 AM »
Heh, heh, I made a mess of that exercise in quotation, didn't I?  :P

Offline Olivier Leroux

• Administrator
  • Yip, yip, yip!
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2009, 11:48:16 AM »
hans, I wouldn't worry about that too much. Even if I'm one of those people pointing out that your combats are easy, that's never meant as a criticism. I bet you'd rather read "the combats were easy" than "the art in this mod is spectacular but unfortunately I saw only half of it because I quit in the middle, frustrated by these tough battles", right?  ;)

Actually, when that happened to me one time with Kitsune, I wondered what's gotten into hans, I always enjoyed his designs and now I have to keep repeating this battle over and over - I just want to know how the story continues!  :D
Fortunately I found out what I was doing wrong - it was my fault of course - and my world was whole again.

IMHO, easy battles suit your design style better than real challenging ones.

And about Mj-M-1, that worked out fine for me. The combat in the middle really was the most dangerous one and I acknowledged that as fitting with the plot.  :)

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2009, 11:29:59 PM »
Heh, heh, I made a mess of that exercise in quotation, didn't I?  :P

I fixed it for you.
LANDS OF ADVENTURE: An Old-School Style CRPG

More Information Here: http://landsadventure.blogspot.com/

Offline Iranon

« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2009, 10:53:27 AM »
I usually try with veteran, unmodified characters at first. If that doesn't feel right,  I turn the difficulty up if it's easy or use more twinked-out characters if it's too hard. Unless the designer uses conspicuously resilent opponents I'm reluctant to change the difficulty below standard because that makes spellcasting a lot less interesting (direct damage rules all).

Offline Merle

« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2009, 02:48:08 PM »
I'll play at the default level, but I tend to tweak my characters as if I was doing a point buy character generation instead of random dice.

Offline Vix

• Mmmm ... Spider Slushies!
  • Administrator
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2009, 03:03:19 PM »
I did a pseudo-point-buy system for my newer toons and quickly learned 1st ed is way different from today's attribute numbers. A 12 now will get you a +1, whereas 1E rules require a 15 minimum for a +1. Then, with strength, you have all those little percentile increments.

Plus, if you want to play a ranger or a paladin you must have certain stats. And there are stat limitations on race and gender. (Which always burns me).

So, for my pseudo-pseudo point buy system I decided that I would go with stats that gave me a +3, +2, +1, +1 base. (Which technically is a 17, 16, 15, 15). Then I allowed each toon to bump up 2 stats; one by +2 points, the other by +1). This seemed to give me attributes equal to what I would get in acurrent point-buy system with racials added.

What kinda of point buy do you use, Merle?

Offline Merle

« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2009, 03:41:27 PM »
What kinda of point buy do you use, Merle?

I don't remember! :)  It's been a long while since I've played a UA design that didn't have a pre-gen party... I think it might have been Hunted! if that gives you an idea of how long it's been.

anything