Poll

How many hit points should a first level PC get at character creation?

Roll the dice
4 (36.4%)
Roll the dice, but ignore all 1s
1 (9.1%)
50% of one hit die
1 (9.1%)
75% of one hit die
0 (0%)
100% of one hit die
3 (27.3%)
Other (will explain below in thread)
2 (18.2%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Author Topic: PC starting HP  (Read 1530 times)

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
PC starting HP
« on: July 07, 2014, 10:09:44 AM »
With DC, we have the ability to very easily control HP given to PCs at training and character creation. After rolling up a test magic user of first level who was determined to only have 1 HP, I wondered what others thought on this, with an eye towards the 1.0 release.

Please note, I am not suggesting changing the code in any way, only the scripts. That means we can do any of the options in the questions, but does not mean we have an alternate system - like rolling three times and accepting best one - or a player modifiable score like the GoldBox games (not opposed to this, but it will be post 1.0 if it is implemented).

Offline Nol Drek

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • Nol Drek's Web Site
Re: PC starting HP
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2014, 10:43:00 AM »
I voted for "roll the dice" because I could not find a 1st edition rule anywhere that suggests doing otherwise for HP.
"Into the Drachensgrab Mountains!"

http://www.noldrek.com

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2014, 11:05:36 AM »
Indeed, Roll the Dice is the 1e method. But FRUA allows the player to get around this in a way that DC doesn't.

Depending on feedback, I may leave the HP as Roll the Dice and write up a short tutorial on how to change this dor designers that want to do it another way. I suppose I should write up this tutorial regardless of which option I go with. :)

Offline SilentThief

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2014, 02:34:23 PM »
I chose roll the dice, as character creation has a reroll stats option, and I seem to always use that to get a decent enough set of stats. I don't need to 18 all stats and max out everything, but I usually get something functional, like fighter might not be maxed out strength but has dome dex bonus to AC and con bonus to HP. This can be done for whatever stats you want to favor, but isn't like modifying stats which is borderline cheating :D

I thought there was already, but if not I'm sure sooner or later someone will have a PC editor available

ST

Offline bravedogbfg

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2014, 03:05:09 PM »
When I would DM, I always gave the PC's full hit dice for level 1.  After that they were stuck with what they rolled.

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2014, 04:55:24 PM »
As a DM, I let players re-rolls 1s for HP. :) I got to thinking about 100% though whn I was recently looking at the Star Wars Saga RPG and saw that they not only got 100%, but 5 HD worth of 100%. :) Completely diferent system I realize, but it does lead one to think.

I will make a mini-tutorial available so that designers can do it however they want, regardless of what I end up going with.

Personally, I use the reroll method until I get decent HP and then adjust the ability scores as needed to better fit my concept of the PC. I did note that when creating my magic user that 1 came up way more often than 4...but I know that they code doesn't have it weighted that way. Just probability. :D

Offline fly_by_night66

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2014, 06:03:50 PM »
Seeing as the handbook/DM Guide states that they are guides not hard fast rules I always favored the DM's that at first level would give the max HP available for the characters chosen 'profession' and after let the dice roll be what is may with rerolling 1's.

My 2 coppers.

FBN66 - Jeff

Offline steve_mcdee

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2014, 03:58:24 AM »
Roll the dice -- but allow player modification of HP (within the constraints provided by the applicable Hit Dice and Con modifiers).

For my own game, if the HP are not modifiable then I would select "100%" for starting level and "roll the dice" thereafter.

(I am the "other" in the votes.)
« Last Edit: July 08, 2014, 04:00:09 AM by steve_mcdee »

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2014, 09:48:39 AM »
(making a note to check that CON modifiers are being applied...)
Good responses everyone.
I'm going ot leave this open for a while because there are still a lot more community members to hear from, but I am leaning the way of the current vote.

Offline Milos Gulan

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2014, 12:40:46 PM »
More then 50% HPs is how we played i voted 50% HPs

Offline Le Marquis

« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2014, 11:33:54 AM »
For the latest campaign I'm mastering I gave the PCs a hp number equal to their constitution score. For the next levels, it's roll dice with a minimum of 50% of the max of the dice guaranteed.

anything