Author Topic: The Advanced Old School Hack & Slash (OSH)  (Read 1235 times)

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
The Advanced Old School Hack & Slash (OSH)
« on: November 28, 2013, 10:08:14 PM »
Found an indie game that is very similar (combat-wise) to the Gold-Box games, called "The Advanced Old School Hack & Slash."  You can find it here:

http://osrgaming.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=102&t=4914

LANDS OF ADVENTURE: An Old-School Style CRPG

More Information Here: http://landsadventure.blogspot.com/

Offline Milos Gulan

Re: The Advanced Old School Hack & Slash (OSH)
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2013, 04:40:03 AM »
Thanks for sharing it. Looks nice.

Offline Null Null

• Maker of excessively difficult vanilla mods
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2013, 09:46:01 AM »
It's kind of funny--the icons are obvious FRUA default icon ripoffs. ;) The guy should release a construction set.

EDIT: But the actual game looks fun. ;)
« Last Edit: November 29, 2013, 04:17:32 PM by Null Null »

Offline Outlander78

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2016, 12:35:54 PM »
I started browsing through the forums looking for fuel for my nostalgia for gold box games, and found this.  Interesting sounding title.  Then I discovered it was an old reference to a game I wrote.  Funny!

My game used to be called Old School Hack and slash (OSHS) because it tells you exactly what the game is - the "role-playing" part of CRPG is not really there.  I renamed it Old School Computer Game (OSCG) in case people saw the title and didn't understand the reference.

The art is indeed looted (ahem, "inspired by") classic games.  I promise you I have created every pixel of the icons in my game myself, from scratch with Paint.net , but they are thoroughly inspired by and based on art from people with real, actual talent.

The 'advanced' component meant separating race from class, enabling multiclassing, and enforcing level limits for non-human races (elves, dwarves etc).  Trying to balance all of that made my head hurt, and I truly hate level limits, so the next edition on went back to single-class 'basic' gaming.
Please try my old school computer game (link) and tell me what you think.

Offline Nol Drek

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • Nol Drek's Web Site
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2016, 05:31:34 PM »
Is the source code for the game available? I'm interested because I'm a Java programmer and the game is released as a JAR file.
"Into the Drachensgrab Mountains!"

http://www.noldrek.com

Offline Outlander78

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2016, 09:27:59 AM »
Hello.

I do not share my hobby code for the following reasons:

a) I am a professional programmer. I do not want potential future employers evaluating me based on "good enough for now" code written for my hobby game.  As google is part of the hiring process these days, this is not a minor risk, and one that has a direct impact on my family.  Every day I improve, and would hate to be judged on "hobby" quality work, much of it written years ago.

b) I have had code I wrote copied and used without credit by others, most annoyingly by students too lazy to earn their degrees. I still share and teach, but no longer do so anonymously via a web site - I hate the idea of enabling cheats.

c) In the future I may need to try to earn money from my hobby programming. By sharing the game freely but keeping the code private, I share with the community while preserving the option to try and sell games later on.  I acknowledge it is already for sale today, but for $1, and with all added content provided as free "updates" instead of new versions that also cost $1.
Please try my old school computer game (link) and tell me what you think.

Offline Nol Drek

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • Nol Drek's Web Site
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2016, 11:54:51 AM »
I understand that this game is not open source, and the reasons behind the decision.
"Into the Drachensgrab Mountains!"

http://www.noldrek.com