Author Topic: Adding New Artwork to Iceblink  (Read 1249 times)

Offline JonnieR

Adding New Artwork to Iceblink
« on: November 19, 2013, 11:46:01 AM »
I changed 4 portraits as a test to 110 x 170 in the PNG format I added them into the portrait folder in Iceblink. When I brought up the game and created a new character the four new portraits did not show up. I redid all my steps and tried again, still no luck in the game although they show up in the portrait folder. Is there something else I have to do to get the game to use these portraits?

Offline slowdive

Re: Adding New Artwork to Iceblink
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2013, 11:57:13 AM »
Did you place them into the root/portraits folder or the module's portraits folder? If they are in the module's portraits folder, make sure to click the "show module portraits" checkbox at the top of the Portrait Selection screen.

Offline Dorateen

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2013, 12:10:30 PM »
I did all the configuring of portraits back in the alpha versions... is it still required to make the 4 separate versions for each image such as

_G at 220 x 330
_L at 110 x 170
_M at 64 x 100
_S at 36 x 58

Not sure if that would be the case here for not showing up at character creation.
"The curse is time, and the tragedy that we have not enough of it."
~Charlotte, the Village Elder
Hearkenwold

Offline slowdive

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2013, 12:21:27 PM »
I did all the configuring of portraits back in the alpha versions... is it still required to make the 4 separate versions for each image such as

_G at 220 x 330
_L at 110 x 170
_M at 64 x 100
_S at 36 x 58

Not sure if that would be the case here for not showing up at character creation.

Nope, we are only using the 110 x 170 images. If you do include a 36 x 58 _S image, it will be used on the inventory screen and convos. If not, the engine will shrink the 110 x 170 portrait down to 36 x 58 at run time. I pretty much just use the 110 x 170 anymore just for quickness reasons. You do need a "L" just before the ".png" for the portrait selector to load the image.

Code: [Select]
private void loadPortraitList()
        {
            this.flowLayoutPanel1.Controls.Clear();
            //portraitList.Clear();
            string jobDir = "";
            if (showModulePortraits)
            {
                jobDir = game.mainDirectory + "\\modules\\" + game.module.ModuleFolderName + "\\portraits";
                foreach (string f in Directory.GetFiles(jobDir, "*L.png"))
                {
                    string filename = Path.GetFileName(f);
                    createButton(jobDir, filename);
                }
            }           
            jobDir = game.mainDirectory + "\\portraits";
            foreach (string f in Directory.GetFiles(jobDir, "*L.png"))
            {
                string filename = Path.GetFileName(f);
                createButton(jobDir, filename);
            }
            setFormSize();
        }

Offline slowdive

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2013, 12:28:27 PM »
Actually, I just checked the code and the M and S size images are generated from the L (will use a S if the file exists though)

Code: [Select]
if (File.Exists(moduleFolderPath + "\\portraits\\" + this.PortraitFileL))
                {
                    this.portraitBitmapL = this.LoadCharacterPortraitBitmapL(moduleFolderPath + "\\portraits\\" + this.PortraitFileL);
                    this.portraitBitmapM = ResizeImage(this.portraitBitmapL, 64, 100);
                    if (File.Exists(moduleFolderPath + "\\portraits\\" + this.PortraitFileS))
                    {
                        this.portraitBitmapS = this.LoadCharacterPortraitBitmapS(moduleFolderPath + "\\portraits\\" + this.PortraitFileS);
                    }
                    else
                    {
                        this.portraitBitmapS = ResizeImage(this.portraitBitmapL, 36, 58);
                    }
                    this.LoadSpriteStuff(moduleFolderPath);
                }

Offline JonnieR

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2013, 01:42:26 PM »
There no checkbox on the portrait selection screen. However you need to add the suffix _L to every portrait, all the portraits show up then.

I would like to download another mod other than the one that comes with the game. I would like download the Lanterna mod. Where would I find that file?

Offline slowdive

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2013, 02:56:25 PM »
Yup, need the "L". You don't need the "_" though, just "...L.png" will do. Which is good because many of the portraits found on the web already have "...L.png" because of IE requirements. The ones I found are .jpg, but I use the Windows 7 file converter by selecting all the images and then right clicking on one of them then choosing "Convert to file format..."

Here are three more modules. Lanterna is okay, but Hearkenwold and The Raventhal are awesome!
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/8927275/IceBlink%20Shared/IBmodules.rar

I would have included the great Red Carnival, but it is too large a file at the moment. You can find it on our forums in the general module discussion area.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2013, 02:58:25 PM by slowdive »

Offline JonnieR

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2013, 03:30:57 PM »
I don't think I will need to look at the Red Carnival just yet but the other three modules would be useful. I see that the engine is very flexible, I was thinking that you may want to have mods that have the basic Fantasy or Sci Fi elements and then the players could work from there. I have made a basic list of the characters, races, professions, items, monsters, character traits (or abilities), spells, etc. needed for a D&D type adventure and I would like to build up a database of these various elements and have it be a base for fantasy adventures. I am sure some of the work has been done already.

I also have an extensive graphic library of Dragonlance items, so we might even be able to build a base Dragonlance world, although that will have some serious scripting to emulate the Draconians behavior, the spell system based upon the moons, etc. That is another project for later.

Offline slowdive

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2013, 03:39:51 PM »
I am currently working on that very thing, making two templates as starting points for building modules (fantasy and star frontiers). Other templates could obviously be made as well eventually (Dragonlance, modern, future, Scotland yard mystery, etc.). Karl is finishing up his PLW (Project Living World) template as well. For my fantasy template, I am adding a few of the basic spells from PoR and some from D&D 3e (levels 1-3 for starters). I am also adding a few more Traits.

Offline slowdive

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2013, 03:42:23 PM »
The other nice feature I recently added in Beta 4 is the "Merger Editor". It allows you to merge data from another module into your module. You pick and choose what data (spells, classes, races, Traits, skills, items, creatures, etc.) you want to import and can compare them before importing. Has been a huge time saver for me and a nice thing to have.

Offline slowdive

« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2013, 04:58:43 PM »
Okay, found out that "_" is needed in order for portraits to properly be recognized. So use "_L" for 110 x 170 images and "_S" for 36 x 58 if you use the small ones. So since I just downloaded a ton of images that have names like M0124L.png, I will need to change all of them to names like M0124_L.png.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2013, 05:02:24 PM by slowdive »

anything