Poll

When Will the UA Community Finally Fade Away

It has already faded away, we just didn't tell you.
1 (9.1%)
Never!  Never ever!  Never!
2 (18.2%)
How long is eternity?  That long, plus one day.
0 (0%)
Tomorrow afternoon at 4:00pm, Eastern Standard Time
1 (9.1%)
It was phased out in 2007.
0 (0%)
What the heck is UA?
0 (0%)
When they pry my copy of UA from my cold, dead hands.
5 (45.5%)
March, 2047.
0 (0%)
What idiot wrote this poll?
2 (18.2%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Voting closed: October 12, 2013, 03:40:15 PM

Author Topic: When Will the UA Community Finally Fade Away?  (Read 3813 times)

Offline Nol Drek

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • Nol Drek's Web Site
Re: When Will the UA Community Finally Fade Away?
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2013, 07:17:29 PM »
Wow cool :) I wonder how will they solve problem of space on earth if they solve problem of mortality.

People will still be able to die, just not from old age. Whether you believe that the carrying capacity of the earth is 10 billion humans or 50 billion humans, the problem of having too many homo sapiens for the planet to support will solve itself in the usual Malthusian way. Fortunately, we aren't supposed to reach carrying capacity until 2100 AD.
"Into the Drachensgrab Mountains!"

http://www.noldrek.com

Offline Milos Gulan

« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2013, 04:47:00 AM »
Oh ok now that is an interesting concept. Everything would be better if earth could find some colonies then :)

Offline GoldBoxFan

• "We need more cowbell."
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2015, 02:06:01 PM »
I would go with the cold dead hands one.

I think DC will take over as the modding standard. There are so many limitations in FRUA, even with all the alterations that can be made. With Bioware dumping AD&D and not putting a Toolset in any more Dragon Age products (last I heard), there isn't a lot of choice for people to mod with. NWN1 and NWN2 both use 3-d modelling which also limits what you can do. DC allows creatures you could never make in FRUA, more spells, etc. Most of the FRUA community will become the DC community if it hasn't already. I still like making FRUA then converting it to DC.

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2015, 02:12:28 PM »
I would go with the cold dead hands one.

I think DC will take over as the modding standard. There are so many limitations in FRUA, even with all the alterations that can be made. With Bioware dumping AD&D and not putting a Toolset in any more Dragon Age products (last I heard), there isn't a lot of choice for people to mod with. NWN1 and NWN2 both use 3-d modelling which also limits what you can do. DC allows creatures you could never make in FRUA, more spells, etc. Most of the FRUA community will become the DC community if it hasn't already. I still like making FRUA then converting it to DC.

I don't know.  There is a lot of resistance when it comes to moving to DC.  And, despite having reached 1.0 status (and beyond) it's hardly what I would call user friendly or ready for prime-time.  There's still some issues to be worked out, and there's quite a learning curve.  Even then, you don't always get the results you want (I have lost tons of time just getting the fonts sized right so that everything fits on the screen, which isn't even something I have to worry about in FRUA).

The future may change my impression, of course.  But as it stands right now, I would rather code my own engine to build a story in than use DC.  That says a lot.
LANDS OF ADVENTURE: An Old-School Style CRPG

More Information Here: http://landsadventure.blogspot.com/

Offline Milos Gulan

« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2015, 04:28:57 AM »
I would code my own engine too if I knew how to do it :), but I am in the same time interested in DC developing. And I am also interested in converting FRUA modules to DC or making DC new ones. I am not that much into FRUA simply because it is older and more limited though I very much respect it because of stability and because it can do so much, and even am thinking of trying to mod with it just to learn things.

DC is a bit harder to learn and use, but it does offer everything needed to make things good. I am hoping to use it in the future, and am just thankful to developers for hard work they are puting in :)

anything