Author Topic: PREVIEW: Lines of Succession  (Read 7135 times)

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
PREVIEW: Lines of Succession
« on: September 16, 2013, 04:58:02 PM »
PREVIEW: Lines of Succession
by manikus

An epic fantasy set in a world of my own creation, but following the rules of AD&D 2e very closely.
The story begins with the PC returning home after a year away for service to the kingdom, in the midst of the death of hte monarch and the power vacuum that forms while several claimants to the throne come forward.

Setting: backstory, groups, map all done
Databases: ability, baseclass, class and race completely done. Items and spells are done per se, but the "classes that can use" are still being added. Monsters database is done, but still need a couple of dozen icons. Special ability database: might need some tweaking but I think it's done.
levels: all planned out, but no coding started
art: layout is set (along with the graphical compass - see the screenshots below), most walls and backdrops are ready, say 75%, but only about 10% of small pics and portraits are ready. None of the sprites have been made yet.

Estimated time of completion: Unknown - sometime after version 1.0 is out

Features: graphical compass
              new layout
              new art of every type
              specialty wizards
              specialty priests
              tracking fame, good v evil, law v chaos
              non-linear game play, multiple endings, but multiple beginnings, too.

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • Dinonykos Dungeon Craft
Re: PREVIEW: Lines of Succession
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2013, 05:03:55 PM »
Hut ab!!! This is great! Did you achieve the compass via backgrounds (that's what I would do), or is it a new feature of DC? (Or maybe based on walls? But that would be ineffective...)
Find four contributions to the Pre-Generated Character Mini-Module Design Contest on my homepage.
New: THE AMBASSADOR'S LETTER, my contribution to the 7-day-challenge.
DINONYKOS DUNGEON CRAFT DESIGN HOMEPAGE

Offline Paul R. Stevens

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2013, 05:19:37 PM »
Everyone seems to like a compass.

What I did in my other hat: (advertisement)

http://dungeon-master.com/forum/index.php

was to rewrite the "adventure" renderer as a
script.  Then I allowed the designer to replace
the script if he wanted to do things differently.
Not too many people took advantage of the
feature (Exactly one, I think).  But he did
amazing things.

The technique allowed the designer to draw
whatever he pleased, anywhere within the
confines of the window.  For example, you could
draw objects lying on the ground.  Or draw
everything upside down. 

It would be more difficult with DC, for several
reasons.  But some of it might be possible.

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2013, 05:41:30 PM »

On the one hand, I would really like to have options like those you described in DC (dropped objects visible in the 3d view and being able to pick them up again would be so cool!), but on the other hand (as your example implies), many people won't use such options anyway, and other people (like me  ;D ) would maybe put so much energy in experimenting with them that even less designs were completed...  ::)

Manikus, the graphics in the 3d window look great, but the frames partly look like they are in low resolution, or rather as if a low resolution texture has been stretched too much, could that be?
Find four contributions to the Pre-Generated Character Mini-Module Design Contest on my homepage.

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2013, 05:44:03 PM »
Hut ab!!! This is great! Did you achieve the compass via backgrounds (that's what I would do), or is it a new feature of DC? (Or maybe based on walls? But that would be ineffective...)

Yes. :) We had talked about this a while ago and ever since then, I had planned on doing it. I had planned on switching the viewport and the menu too, and discovered that this was perfect for hiding the text directions off screen. :)

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2013, 05:47:47 PM »

On the one hand, I would really like to have options like those you described in DC (dropped objects visible in the 3d view and being able to pick them up again would be so cool!), but on the other hand (as your example implies), many people won't use such options anyway, and other people (like me  ;D ) would maybe put so much energy in experimenting with them that even less designs were completed...  ::)

Manikus, the graphics in the 3d window look great, but the frames partly look like they are in low resolution, or rather as if a low resolution texture has been stretched too much, could that be?

Yes, the frame res is horrible, but I really wanted some screenshots. I will redo it before I actually post a playable demo.

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2013, 05:50:41 PM »
Everyone seems to like a compass.

What I did in my other hat: (advertisement)

http://dungeon-master.com/forum/index.php

was to rewrite the "adventure" renderer as a
script.  Then I allowed the designer to replace
the script if he wanted to do things differently.
Not too many people took advantage of the
feature (Exactly one, I think).  But he did
amazing things.

The technique allowed the designer to draw
whatever he pleased, anywhere within the
confines of the window.  For example, you could
draw objects lying on the ground.  Or draw
everything upside down. 

I would love this kind of option in DC. To use as a compass, sure, but I can think of lots of things on my list that are waiting for a way to be displayed outside of the 3D view (and thanks to Dinonykos, I do know some ways of doing this by exploiting the way DC does things)
I know that combat is important, but outside of my role is project manager, I would put the efforts into graphics. :)

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2013, 05:56:44 PM »
... I had planned on switching the viewport and the menu too, and discovered that this was perfect for hiding the text directions off screen. :)

Impressive!  ;)

With 192 backgrounds in the newer DC versions, maybe I should also think about adding a compass...
But, this is already a good example for what I wrote earlier: New options tempt me to experiment and distract me from completing designs...  ::)

Concerning graphic elements: an event/script that allowed a sprite to appear on screen and remain there (until removed by another event/script perhaps), that would be great. Of course, I have no idea how complicated it would be to implement this in DC...

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2013, 06:12:27 PM »
... I had planned on switching the viewport and the menu too, and discovered that this was perfect for hiding the text directions off screen. :)

Impressive!  ;)

With 192 backgrounds in the newer DC versions, maybe I should also think about adding a compass...
But, this is already a good example for what I wrote earlier: New options tempt me to experiment and distract me from completing designs...  ::)

Concerning graphic elements: an event/script that allowed a sprite to appear on screen and remain there (until removed by another event/script perhaps), that would be great. Of course, I have no idea how complicated it would be to implement this in DC...

I easily get distracted by new things in regards to DC. :) That's how a lot of things in this prooject came about. I have more than a dozen Proof of Concept designs in addition to all of the visual experiments. I think I am going to redo the frame to try out another one of those ideas. :) I keep everything in layered files, so I can easily redo any feature.

Offline SilentThief

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2013, 04:12:28 AM »
On the one hand, I would really like to have options like those you described in DC (dropped objects visible in the 3d view and being able to pick them up again would be so cool!)

Between this and event driven combat, we are on our way to remaking the old DOS game, dungeonmaster

ST

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2013, 08:16:48 AM »
Well, Dungeon Master is "real time" (like EoB), not round based, and does, on the other hand, not allow so many different kinds of events. So there would still be much difference. But, as long as DC can do all the things FRUA can, some additional features would be nice.

Offline SilentThief

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2013, 08:12:24 PM »
I know, and the real-time is a huge jump away from what we are trying to do here. I put in a request for timer, where the game doesn't wait for the player but that is way past v1. And, while I don't want to highjack this thread (http://ua.reonis.com/index.php?topic=2494.new#new),
 the graphics control would be useful for other things such as showing movement of an army on overland

ST
« Last Edit: September 17, 2013, 09:33:35 PM by SilentThief »

Offline Milos Gulan

« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2013, 03:25:57 AM »
Hm i guess i will go a bit off topic but when Game Master is mentioned i like games like that particulary EOB, though i am a bit unwilling to try it beacuse it is not DD though it is DD like which made me think when i went there and i probably will if i have some free time. On the other hand real time playing is interesting and i think there should be options for everything, like real time and well some pause in between for thinking ect, or maybe for turn based too. I didn't think too much about it but lately i have played this game http://www.cardhunter.com/ and it made me think a lot about DC too. I would like to have some of it in DC or at elast as an option as i would like maybe to see minis and cards ect :) but ok i guess it can be left for later but well i think this is a good example what could also be imported into DC and that is Minis, Cards, Dices, somehow editable/exportable chracter sheets (and maybe cards and minis and dices :) too) ect as an option :)

Btw here is more about that game just for info http://www.forbes.com/sites/games/2013/09/12/card-hunter-review-pc/
« Last Edit: September 18, 2013, 03:29:29 AM by Rainbower »

Offline Paul R. Stevens

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2013, 06:45:49 PM »
remaking the old DOS game, dungeonmaster

That would be an old Atari 512ST game....ported later to DOS.

Dungeon Master is "real time" (like EoB),

That would be EOB is "real time" (Like Dungeon Master).

EOB was a decent descendant of Dungeon Master.

But.....In those games you could drop things to the
ground and pick them up later.  The news is that
starting with UAFWin version 0.999326, items that are
"DROP'ed remain in the cell in which they were dropped.
You will probably request a 'PICK' option and, perhaps,
a 'DISCARD' option when you really don't want to
see that Sardine Sandwich again.  Should there be a
Zone parameter that causes dropped items to get
stolen with a certain probability each night? Should
dropped items get teleported?  Should dropped items
trigger events?  Well, I guess such things can evolve
over time.  For now, the items simply sit wherever
they are dropped.

I just thought that some folks might like that feature
of the old Atari game.

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2013, 06:56:05 PM »
For now, the items simply sit wherever
they are dropped.

I just thought that some folks might like that feature
of the old Atari game.

Definitely! :hello2: