Author Topic: FR 2e HUB: Forgotten Realms, 2nd Edition for Dungeon Craft  (Read 5823 times)

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
FR 2e HUB: Forgotten Realms, 2nd Edition for Dungeon Craft
« on: July 03, 2013, 05:03:57 PM »
Well met, fellow designers.

I'm announcing a project that Uatu and I have been working on for a while. Uatu is the art director and I'm the script manager.  :) So far he is directing himself and I am managing myself. He has been working on some setting specific icons and small pictures (some of which you can already see on his site) and I've jumped into the databases.

Do you want to help out? If so, how do you want to help?

aDatabases: (as of October 28, 2016)
abilities         - 100%
baseclasses       - 100%
classes           - 100%
races             - 100%
items             - 90.1%
monsters          - 84.3%
spells            - 50%
special abilities - 11.3%

edited to add:
Databases are current, which is to say have not been touched in a while.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2016, 01:00:01 PM by manikus »

Offline Uatu

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • World's Edge
Re: Forgotten Realms, 2nd Edition for Dungeon Craft
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2013, 11:48:54 PM »
Hi all - sorry for the really late response :(

So as for art - I have been on hiatus of late, but will start up again soon - some things I am thinking of doing include humans/demi-humans, perhaps some FR deities, and maybe other things - any ideas?  :D  Or any icons that people want to see earlier?
More Dungeon Craft Art at my Web Page: http://dhost.info/uatu

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2013, 01:11:02 PM »
Hi all - sorry for the really late response :(

So as for art - I have been on hiatus of late, but will start up again soon - some things I am thinking of doing include humans/demi-humans, perhaps some FR deities, and maybe other things - any ideas?  :D  Or any icons that people want to see earlier?

I really hope to see some avatars. :) But no particular rush on anything.
One icon, small pic that I would like to see so that I can add them to the monster database, is a wemic. :D

I'm retrouping on the databases - I think I might need to do the spells over OR come up with a nifty script to handle something going on with keeping track of spellcaster levels. There might be an easy fix with a script in the class database. While I'm regrouping I am still working on doing the vanilla 2e databases, and it turns out this si going to result in quite a bit more spells for clerics (not specialty priests) and mages, because of how 2e works differently from 1e, and I am adding some new mage spells right now and likely there will be several new priest spells as well. :)

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
Update for June 19, 2014
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2014, 05:11:31 PM »
This has been the project I work on when a) I'm stuck or frustrated with official DC stuff, and/or b) tired of working on my own fantasy setting which has a lot of cross-over with FR.

I updated the first post with status for databases. I would be at about 98% for baseclasses and classes, but last night decided that I really should include the Crusader, Monk, Mystic and Shaman as detaile din Faiths & Avatars. I have all of the Specialty Priests/Druids/Paladins/Rangers baseclass created and the classes for most of them as well.

Items are done except for the new classes I just added.

Races are set, and I'm using the subraces listed in the FR literature, so multiple dwarves and elves, but gnomes and halflings are just gnomes and halflings. Half-orcs are gone.

Spells are both nearly complete and nowhere near complete - I have the spells pretty far along, but not who gets which spells. According to my spreadsheet, I still have a half dozen priest spells and a half dozen wizard spells left to create. I still have not started the bard spells. I do have a nice spreadsheet listing spells and which class/subclass gets which, and will add that info to the database as the last thing.

Monsters are pretty close to being done - I have about a dozen more Forgotten Realms specific critters to add, but I need to test the special abilities in combat to make sure they work.

What else? Special abilities completion is an estimate with plus or minus 25%. It's really just making sure that all of the other databases can do what I say they can do. :D

Offline Milos Gulan

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2014, 10:19:21 AM »
This sounds very good, I am interested in FR and GH and any other Ad&d setting for course. My wish is to see this completed and will try helpmg as much as i can.

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2014, 11:16:43 AM »
At this point, I don't really need any help on this project except with art. If you can do icons and small pictures in the same syle as Uatu, then please, by all means share. :D

Hopefully, I will need people to do some bug testing on this in the not too distant future. When I do, I will make the announcement in this thread, plus you will know it's that time because I'll be attaching the databases. ;)

Offline SilentThief

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2014, 02:58:32 PM »
Watching this with great interest, mostly because my "home brew" campaign was built with specialty classes (mostly priest and mage), and used the 2nd edition upto but not including the skill n powers book (because I didn't own it). This is where 2nd edition kinda was in transition to 3rd. so it was kinda 2.5 :D My home brew campaign only had a small area really detailed, and unfortunately now most of that is in my head and not written down. But I got a ton of my old notes somewhere still so I hope to bring it back.

But I also like the forgotten realms mainly because its huge and there is soooooooo much about it that I don't know. Sure, the FR boxed set details the dalelands and cormyr, but if you were to travel to kara-tur, or to icewind dale, or I think al-qadim is also an area of forgotten realms, and so is maztica (could be wrong)

ST

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2014, 06:40:32 PM »
You saw my specialty class example thread? I owuld search and find a link, but I'm on dial-up right now (out of town through next week) and it's just too hard. ;)

Al Qadim is not in the Forgotten Relams, but everything else you mentioned is (and more stuff like Undermountain, Chult, the Horde, etc). There is a Middle Eastern area and it is very similar to al Qadim...Uatu may know more.

The Dalelands and Cormyr are the most detailed because they are the oldest, and not coincidentally like Greyhawk. Greenwood really took Forgotten Realms into the West to Waterdeep and North to Icewind Dale, and while he had his hand in all of it, much of the rest is TSR and WotC trying to make money. This is really neither here nor there, just an observation. ;)

I've been playing with the Forgotten Realms since they came into existence. If I recall correctly, my purchases in the RPG world went something like D&D basic set (red box), AD&D Player's Handbook (1e), AD&D Dungeom Master's Guid (1e), and then the Forgotten Realms Player's Handbook (1e). Then a whole bunch of other stuff from all kinds of systems because a used bookstore my mom used to take me to always had at least a couple of them for under $2 each. I had one of those (cool) parents in the 80s who instead of freaking out about Dungeons & Dragons urged my brother and I to get into it, and several of my good friends had parents who were the same. :D
Once those pulp fantasy novels set in the Forgotten Realms started coming out, I was so hooked.

Offline SilentThief

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2014, 01:58:55 AM »
I'm right there with you. Was a kid watching the old dungeons and dragons cartoon on saturday mornings, with venger trying to take the kids items of power or some other scheme. Got the red box set when I was like 7, that was the start of it. There was sooo much of it, and I wanted it all (but didn't have the allowance to get it all). I ended up getting the forgotten realms box set, and its one of the few ones I had bought which I lost through the years. Still got most of my collection, but its really beat up.

good times, good times

ST

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2014, 09:41:34 AM »
Ah, the cartoon. That is one of those shows that the Suck Fairy visited since I was a kid. :D Though, the action figures of the main bad guy and main good guy - each only shown a couple of times in the show, and I do mean guys, not the kids or Tiamat - they were pretty cool because they looked like the D&D art, not the cartoon.

I sold off almost all of my collection a couple of years back. I think the only thing I have left are the 1e DMG, the red box set and a GreyHawk supplement that was not in the right boxes of books so survived the purge. :D I had more than enough money to replace all my RPG stuff with pdf versions, and now I have an even larger RPG collection, it's just all virtual. Better for me since I average about once or twice a year playing pen and paper RPGs, and the last couple of years have not had any Ad&D in the mix. But, I pretty much get my fix with DC.

Offline Vix

• Mmmm ... Spider Slushies!
  • Administrator
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2014, 10:58:28 AM »
Al Qadim is not in the Forgotten Relams, but everything else you mentioned is (and more stuff like Undermountain, Chult, the Horde, etc). There is a Middle Eastern area and it is very similar to al Qadim...Uatu may know more.

It is. It is based in Zakhara on Toril.

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2014, 01:35:47 PM »

It is. It is based in Zakhara on Toril.

I stand corrected. :) I wonder why they changed the branding for this one setting? All of the al Qadim supplements have no mention on the cover of being part of the Forgotten Realms setting.
Can you point me to one of the supplements so I can read up on this? For this project, I'm trying to include at least a little bit from each area of Toril, which will probably be represented in the items and monsters. Kara-Tur and al Qadim probably warrant their own projects, but a bit of their "spice" would be nice. ;)

However, this is better for everybody, because now I have a good reason to add the genies to my monster database (they were part of the original 2e project, but had dropped them when switching focus to FR 2e).

Offline Milos Gulan

« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2014, 02:05:12 AM »
At this point, I don't really need any help on this project except with art. If you can do icons and small pictures in the same syle as Uatu, then please, by all means share. :D

Actualy i could, but it is not high priority for me now, but it might happen later i hope. I am wishing to learn to work as Manikus, i think you really can make things happen :)

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2014, 01:12:08 PM »
Well, for this proeject, I am not looking for rendered art - I"m looking for pixel style that would look similar to Uatu (which I am unable to do myself at this time).

Offline Milos Gulan

« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2014, 03:30:51 PM »
Ok, i probably will be able to turn out some, though i will have to learn that too :) i am new to it, so i will need some time to get me on that. After summer probably i will try to work things for DC. Right now i am working on one fantasy style render, i am getting into things it seems :D
« Last Edit: July 17, 2014, 03:34:43 PM by Rainbower »

anything