Author Topic: REVIEW: Anarchy in Waterdeep (by James Rand)  (Read 816 times)

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
REVIEW: Anarchy in Waterdeep (by James Rand)
« on: January 17, 2013, 08:42:11 PM »
First, let me say that I was surprised that my search for reviews of this module came up empty here on the forums.  Either no one has reviewed "Anarchy in Waterdeep," or those reviews are missing.  Either way, it's a shame.

"Anarchy in Waterdeep" is a short module set in the Forgotten Realms city of...well...Waterdeep.  Players control a party of sellswords who show up in the city in time to witness a nasty feud between warring guilds.  Eventually, they will be hired to look into the cause of these guild riots and to figure out what is behind the whole mess.

The module is put together very well.  It captures the feeling of the Forgotten Realms pretty nicely and gives you a sense of something larger going on in Waterdeep.  Even though there isn't much of a chance to go off the rails and do something outside of the main plot, there are the occasional diversions that make it worthwhile.

A player can clear the module in about an hour or two.  As I said before, it isn't very long.  In fact, one of my complaints is that the module ends rather abruptly right when you figure out what's going on.  It felt as though there should have been some kind of follow up.

My only other complaint involves the number of random combats in the sewer areas.  They seemed far too frequent, and I grew to really dislike how often they were happening, given that you could not rest in the sewers at all.

Your party starts out at 1st level, and by the end, most of your party might make it to 2nd level.

I would definitely recommend the module.  Despite my minor nitpicks, there was a lot to like about the design, and I found myself completing it in one sitting.  It's been a while since a module made me want to keep pushing forward like that.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2016, 08:46:04 AM by ProphetSword »
LANDS OF ADVENTURE: An Old-School Style CRPG

More Information Here: http://landsadventure.blogspot.com/

Offline PetrusOctavianus

Re: REVIEW: Anarchy in Waterdeep (by James Rand)
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2016, 01:30:17 AM »
This was an excellent little module, well written with no typos or spelling errors that I could see.

You are given plenty of opportunities to solve problems non-violently, but one of those encounters lead to an extremely difficult battle if talking or sneaking fails, even for my characters who had more XP and better equipment than fresh characters.

My main gripe with the design was with the "overland" map of Waterdeep. Nothing is marked on the map, making things hard to find, and with no random encounters it was boring to map it. A menu town would have been better IMO.

I did not have any problems with random encounters in the sewers. ProphetSword, did you have Search on when exploring? I didn't.

My party started with about 3,500 XP each and finished with about 9,500 XP. Most of the XP comes from problem solving, not from loot or combat.

Too bad there was no sequel to this module.