Author Topic: Overland Map  (Read 1704 times)

Offline nologgie

• Non-resident Non-expert
  • Dungeon Craft Tester
Overland Map
« on: May 26, 2012, 12:30:07 AM »
I didn't see a thread specifically for overland maps, so I started this one.

This is an edited, recolored Savage Frontier map from my unfinished winter contest entry which I hope someone may find useful.
Some days it just doesn't pay to gnaw through the straps.

Offline GoldBoxFan

• "We need more cowbell."
Re: Overland Map
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2012, 11:17:39 PM »
An overland map is basically a bigpic and can use bigpic slots and vice versa. There is a tendency to forgot there is a movement icon that appears on the map. Both my overland maps were misaligned so that the icon was in between squares. I wouldn't make another overland mapwithout using a grid of some kind to let you know where this icon will fall.

Did you check movement on the map?

Offline nologgie

• Non-resident Non-expert
  • Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2012, 11:18:23 AM »
Yep. I had to add a few lines to the bottom and shift laterally to get the basic elements to align as I wanted them to. Then I added the city markers so they would be centered with the movement cursor. The rivers and surf areas color cycle.
Some days it just doesn't pay to gnaw through the straps.

Offline Vix

• Mmmm ... Spider Slushies!
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2012, 02:38:33 PM »
Neat!

Only new overland I ever made was more of a 3/4 view of a small town with houses and roads and stuff. GBF is right that using a grid to make it so much easier to align it.

Offline GoldBoxFan

• "We need more cowbell."
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2012, 07:59:06 PM »
If you don't have a grid you can make a 320 by 136 pixel map, see how it shows up as an overland, take a screen capture, then realign the map so that the correct parts are in the correct places. I think the map squares are 8 x 8. Wallsets are 8x8 so images are probably also divided into 8x8 segments.