Author Topic: Storms Adventuring Guild  (Read 2107 times)

Offline Milos Gulan

Storms Adventuring Guild
« on: February 23, 2012, 09:43:41 AM »
My first post here, I started playing not long time ago and well firstly I played without update 1.2 and not knowing how to apply hacks to the games. Anyway now I think i got most of the things I need right and that I will be able to play trough the games which are most interesting. So here is the short story about it and it may for now include spoilers for Game02, B2 Keep on the Borderlands and Game21, I6 Ravenloft by Ray Dyer, also please forgive my a bit barbaric english and well my older laptop which doesnt like to type letters g and h:).

Storms Adventuring Guild
is a guild of adventurers that started to work in service of good, firstly as an adventuring company consisted of a few brave adventurers and later to develop into a secretive group known only to very few important and influential people. Organization of the guild is rather simple, and it consists of adventuring parties that are named by number they were created. Also position in the guild is acknowledged by the profession status and it is tracked by the time of joining the guild, as a first in the profession, second, third ect

Here are the known ranks of the guild sorted by adventuring company listing and by profession status

=Adventuring Company One=

Dragard & Storms = 1st Paladin
Zile & Storms = 1st Fighter
Tawna & Storms = 1st Ranger
Kurina & Storms = 1st Cleric
Seimor & Storms = 1st Mage
Quina & Storms = 1st Thief

Journal of the Adventuring Company 1:
This group started as a group of volunteers for help in defending a border outpost in a Game Setting: Little Keep on the borderlands, The Realm Game 2. They started by cleaning the forests of goblins and kobolds, then went into a nearby swamp and defeated local lizardmen tribe and buried remains of an adventurer thou helping an elf whom they met in the inn of Keep. On the way back they found remains of another adventurer and found a magical scroll in his inventory wich they returned to the mage from the Keep who was searching it. All that time forest and world around acted a bit strange as it was disturbed and twisted by some evil magic. But with help of the mage they fixed situation (till this time i couldnt get the scroll as i was playing without patch 1.2:)).

Then they started real adventuring set up to explore the rest of the surrounding woods and they found a family of evil giants and later their treasure too, and also a cave of a dragon but decided not to fight it as it was probably a more than could they take. Then they defeated a kobold tribe cleaning them from the forest which they were prized by the people in the Keep, and also fought hobgoblin tribes from which they released a few human prisoners and returned them to Keep.

Later they stumbled into minotaur maze and killed one after which they returned to Keep. But on they way back the strange mist came upon the land and they found a warm Inn to visit on their way. While drinking they were approached by a gipsy from a tribe of Vistani who invited them to Barovia, by a letter from mayor of te village. They accepted invitation and soon were in Barovia talking to mayor about te undead menace in this province and teir probably undead lord named Count Von Zarovich wich was, as the story are suspecting, a vampire. After a visit to mayors daughter lady Ireena Kolyana, adventurers set on a journey to Ravenloft Castle trough Svalich woods wich was full of cursed undeads of worst kind imainable.

Always in fear wath will attack them and desperately figthing for their lives with last strenght they barely made it to the Castle on te hill above the village by cleverly maping forest path and noting in it two bridges wich they crossed. After second bridge they found a carriage wich took them to Castle of the Count Strahd.

Castle Ravenloft was a sight for itself. Count was very polite and told them during the dinner how he was good ruler and that the real problem is in the corrupted villagers who doesn't like him and their leader mayor who tax them and take teir money for himself. Influenced by Counts charms party returned to Barovia to deal with the problematic mayor and is daughter followed by a unit of counts undead minions. Luckily they realized in time that villagers were inoccent and fought the real enemy, and after the terrible battle they barely survived  but now never more determined to bring counts evil to the end.

Ireena Kolyana joined them and they went to the Castle together. They searched the place and found strahd in his guest room but after tey tried to attack him he vanished. Then they found an altar to rest and after that searched te rest of the castle battling its undead minons like garoyles, zombies and other evil things. They later found strahds diary with explanation of is vampiric history, and also they talked to his imprisioned human clerc who said something about a holy amulet in the crypts.

Searching trough castle dungeons they couldnt find crypts but were teleported to higher levels of the castle where they fought two servant vampires and defeated them with their last strenght. They finaly could rest there and heal to continue on their way to the heart and highest part of the castle, Strahds tower were they met him surrounded with hundreds of evil bats. Strahd was too strong, fighting him was bloody and only a wish spell could save them and teleport away from a magic using vampire who could burn them with magic thunders and fires as good as he could fight them with his evil weapons.

They woke up somewhere in the night with a desire for revenge, but for now their main concern was how to survive and heal up and to chase of those bad memories of the Castle Ravenloft and its evil (here is a nice tune about it also :D)

Conclusion: I had a great time playing and well i think in the future i should write a journal while playing :) i also thought about doing video sessions with this tool but i guess i will leave it for sometime later as i am sure i wouldnt do it as good as here though i am sure i would have a great time role playing while gaming which probably should include some character background. For now i am playing with Adventuring Company Two, and planing to start some more Ravenloft adventures with this one :) and also to install and play OA.

Offline nologgie

• Non-resident Non-expert
  • Dungeon Craft Tester
Re: Storms Adventuring Guild
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2012, 11:43:49 AM »
Welcome to the forum, Rainbower!

It sounds like the mists of Ravenloft may have taken you before you completed Keep on the Borderlands. Did you take out the gnolls and get invited to the castle? If you didn't, it might be worth playing again.

Thanks for the journal.  :)
Some days it just doesn't pay to gnaw through the straps.

Offline Milos Gulan

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2012, 05:28:44 PM »
You are welcome and thanks for the info. About the gnolls I am not sure but I havent been to the castle yet so I am willing to give it another try and search for them, and seeing in the other thread on the forum that there is a possible end to the adventure (which i really like btw) which would be nice to achieve with updated characters from Barovia. My last try there actualy was in that minotaur maze in Caves of Chaos from which I have problem finding the way out :) 

For now I am playing AT1: Dark Alliances and having a great time with my second party, currently being below Sokal keep. Game is really great I mean enchanting, I just helped wemics against fungus creatures then killed their leader troll but i forgot where the wemic tribe is located. Anyway i got down and just ended tpk-ed by that Zhents undead army by opening that doors with message Don't open on it, also the good thing is that there is a map of the area in this game which is a good thing to have.

Offline Milos Gulan

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2012, 11:06:33 AM »
And here is what happened so far

=Adventuring Company Two=

Ejndi & Storms = 2nd Paladin
Searin & Storms = 2nd Fighter
Nikani & Storms = 2nd Cleric
Giriel & Storms = 2nd Mage
Juline & Storms = 3rd Mage
Vicasy & Storms = 2nd Thief

Journal of the Adventuring Company 2:
Party started their adventure in Hlontar and they accepted the jobs they were available first cleaning the ruins of the town from goblins and then pirates, later went to Phlan and accapted a caravan guarding and killed lizardmen who were led by Banite priests who occupied an human outpost. This part was very cool and interesting also i was really surprised by the cool NPCs in Hlontar and all other things that were really awesome from start like graphics and well just overal feeling while playing.

After that party returned to Hlontar and went to ruins again there finding a ghost luring them to Magician university. This was the best part for me as it went really well. It turned that ghost of a girl mage whom they released from bonds is actualy a vampire, who teleported a party into a maze under Mages university. Maze was a real horror and the worst part was with a stepping electrical plates which party barely survived but at the end they found a good vampiress (my favorites like Jander Sunstar, this one was under curse to be good which he was tricked to become by taking a magical helmet) who helped them and killed other vampire at the entrance.

After that Zhentilar forces begun to amass near Hlonthar and party visited Yulash for a clerical meeting and after that they went to Banite temple in the mountains to the north to know about the reason for appearing of strange moons and problem with clerical spells. Then after all that they got a ship in Phlan and went to Sokal keep. There they found a a half elf from Krynn who told them a story about strange happenings in Krynn and all else that was important , so for me this was a masterfuly done part after meeting with Elminster which was really great and made the story very interesting and everything just reminded me of DL beauty wich here was combined with FR cool adventurous story.

Anyway dragons attacked the ship and party fought a blue dragon which was slain in 2nd try by casting a sleep spell. This was really a cool moment though i guess it was a bit easier then it should be :). Then party saved wemics from Zhentilar evil and entered under Sokal keep to explore the place occupied by Zhentilar Mages who were producing Draconians from dragon eggs. Party killed most of the inhabitants (except those undead horde which were very strong) and now at the probably end of adventure we met a force of Zhentilars with lots of Draconians who can breath lightning and others that can cast magic missiles, led by the dragonarmy general Draconian who slew a red dragon before the party. And again those lightnings were to much for 2nd party which ended saved by the wish spell and probably will wake up somewhere in Ravenloft mists hoping one day to return and continue this fight. :)

To summ it up party maybe should have taken some more side quests and level up to be stronger but nevertheless did a great job fighting around Moonsea. Adventure and game itself is a masterpiece :) I enjoyed the story and everything, searching most of the place and finding probably most of the things that were there. :) I missed having few two handed swords +2 all the time which my first party got from The Realm, Game 2 Little Keep in the Borderlands, and most of the time they used longswords +1, though at the end they found longsword +2 and a shorsword +3 but ... those lightnings were still too much for the party. Hope to continue this soon and also to play second part wich I actualy started before the first part but watched only intro which mentioned Draconian general and things that happened in part I.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 11:13:10 AM by Rainbower »

Offline Milos Gulan

« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2012, 07:52:38 AM »
More about my adventuring :) now with a little site with more info :)

For now i have played with party 1 game Curse of the fire dragon and it really was a cool game to play. Dracolich at the end was really hard and only 2 of party memebers survived, with all other quests being really cool and interesting, i think every single one of them, though i havent found thieves hideout and couldnt open cyclops cave. Valley map was very nicely done and a town library was a cool place to visit to learn about the land. Next for this group is Strahds Need and meeting Strahd again :)

For the party 2, they finished Ravenloft module Touch of Death and it was my first completed game yet. Game was really great and i really enjoyed it, story and Ravenloft feeling was all the time intense, yet very logicaly presented, so there wasn't any problems to finish it, except at the end where i was looking for a secret door a bit longer then i would like. But anyway it was awesome when i completed it and all that Egyptian setting was for me really an experience, and I enjoyed it a lot. Next with this party I will try playing The Retracting Ice.

Party 3 finished OA game module Tale of the Twin Dragons part one. Game was awesome, I am still thinking of it and how characters are deep and well just simple yet very good, with most favorable moments being vistits to tea hose and dojo. Hope to play part 2 soon, and for the Oriental Adventures hack I have to say that it is really nicely done and that is very enjoyable to play.

Also for a complete record of playing i took screenshots of all important moments from games to keep a more complete journal and
in case i need a reminder while playing. So, again this is that site, with a more complete info about adventures, and on the bottom of every page are links with all screenshots presented in a slideshow.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 08:01:04 AM by Rainbower »

Offline Milos Gulan

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2012, 01:55:45 AM »
... And Company 1, Dragard's Blades just finished "Judge's Guild #1: The Caverns of Thracia" and as most things before it contains spoilers.

I am still under the impression of a night without sleep spent by playing a really cool adventure and well my favorite moments were : meeting that blonde greek warrior, defeating mintaur king and undead lizardmen king, also that lizardmen temple was cool, and then founding a valley after a passage trough waterfall and all that till i got back to the temple. :) Thats it I guess here is also my thoughts about adventure and the way I completed it:

Well for starter i found the cave easily but after finsihing I think it would be nice to have some NPC to point characters there also if i can remember correctly not much intro about all that was given at the start so my first feeling was oh another underground complex i will have to explore and it will probably be boring. And it was for some time but then i was starting to feel the enchantment of hm that greekish surrounding and actualy I started to feel quite comfortable.

Then I found the minotaur king and defeated him after few tries  and I have to say with a bit higher level party this time (I started with group mostly lv 7, some 8 ), and after that found the temple of lizardmen just after I killed their i presume undead king whom i found in some secret place, after following a corridor. Then after that it started to be really great, I found the exit below the waterfall and found some lizardmen led by shaman and a halflings hut there and some message of poor halfling who actualy wrote about underground complex of some old king. Then I explored that cool part of the forest and found a big tentacled thing with 150hps (giant octopus) and after that I returned to the lizardmen temple.

It just felt amazing i was discovering cool places and was meeting really cool monsters like piercers falling from the ceilings, spiders ect, i probably didnt do the adventure way it should but at least now it felt really great. And the best part was in the temple where after founding a secret passage i fought with a doors and unfroze some cool greek looking girl who joined party and well after searching a bit more around I left for the village leveled up and exported my character who were now lv 8 some 9.

Thats it so i was missing some nice pictures of interior like when I enter the room i could see some nice pics of statues, treasure ect. but lol I gues that would be a bit harder to do, also after identifing I found I have a longsword of dragon bane so I was thinking how cool it would be to have a pic of my sword too anyway, lol this adventure for me turned great, maybe it could as i already said a bit more polished but still it will be on list of my favorite ones.

Offline Milos Gulan

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2012, 11:30:57 AM »
Slight spoilers ahead: :)

Well :) in short Company 1 finished Tegel's Manor which was one of the best modules I have played, I guess even better then Castle Ravenloft. Lots of things happened there and it was nicely done, with very cool atmosphere trough all the place. After that well in DC that company finished Village of Hommlet which was easy as they were a bit higher level, after the party which wasn't that lucky and whom started from lv1. Also they were all controled by computer wich was a bit strange but was much easier, and I was wondering that it felt like I was using that Alt+Q option in FRUA.

Company 6 finished DL: Dragons of Despair. This was one of the coolest designs also, story was fantastic and it really took me into those places and events from the book. Well again it happened that last fight was ultra hard, and this party was the ultra weak as I actualy firstly started with Castle Greyhawk and they couldn't pass lv2 and they were overwhelmed by bugbears so I transered them in DL. There were mage and thief in party with 1hp so it was very hard to level them up in DL module too. But last fight felt like I was fighting the whole dragon army alone :). Anyway there were 2 weaves of monsters and it took me a almost 2 days of fighting to win it and it was due to good strategy and of course lots of luck (also by luck I got before that staff of healing from uncouncious Goldmoon and used it in the last fight to heal up everyone, I guess that was the most important moment), but I was afraid all time I wouldn't be able to finish. Anyway beside that I wish there was an option to export characters before ending and that's it :) just great game after all :D

So to summ it up I have to say that I am a bit tired of those ultra hard endings a little :) as they usualy need higher level characters to be done. Also this Dragonlance game by default needs pregens but luckily It was possible to run with my own party, and for me I was thinking of that they are just helping Tanis and the rest of the Company of the Lance :) serving like their bodygards or henchmens.

So for me and my style of playing that is the one very important thing that should be available in every game and that is to be available to play my own characters beside the other with the default story. For example I played lately The Snow Woman's Daughters and it is great game set in OA hack, those games are rare and I love playing them. Now it meant to be played for 1 samurai character and the story added 7 more, and all other choices were met with death :( of main character who only could be played.

Now what I was wishing for is for me to have my own party there (maybe by game suggested samurai or other classes would be cool :)) and they could easily fit the story and be surviving helpers of those samurai :) So I think it is much better not to limit classes, and just do the story as it meant to be, for example Goldmoon and Riverwind did what they had to and all other of the Company of the Lance too, but my own characters did something too beside them :D and they helped them and were participating in those events and influenced the result of the story :)

Thats how I would like to be, I will continue to play The Snow Woman's Daughters as it seems to be really good game, but just a note for the future designs :) please allow everything to be played also :) I mean i could be a ninja or whatever else who is helping those main characters and it would be just more interesting by my opinion :)
« Last Edit: October 16, 2012, 11:35:17 AM by Rainbower »