Author Topic: Gold Box Companion - tool for GB games  (Read 20500 times)

Offline Ishad Nha

Re: Gold Box Companion - tool for GB games
« Reply #120 on: August 13, 2017, 09:45:23 PM »
Downloading now...

Version 2.33 (22-July-2017):
- New feature: quick menu. Pressing Control + the "/" key opens a quick menu where you can encamp-fix, restore/store spells,
What keyboard are you using? This key does not occur on standard US keyboards.
May be able to do a translation...

Offline jhirvonen

« Reply #121 on: August 14, 2017, 04:01:24 AM »
Finnish / euro keyboard like this:

The key on the upper left.

I guess in the US it's more like this:

Offline Ishad Nha

« Reply #122 on: August 14, 2017, 06:18:09 AM »
So Control + the "/" key would translate to Control + the "~/`" key in US-style keyboards.

Offline eXalted

« Reply #123 on: August 24, 2017, 06:03:34 AM »
Is there a way to hide hidden enemies in the combat view helper window? It feels very cheaty to me...

Offline jhirvonen

« Reply #124 on: August 24, 2017, 07:21:48 AM »
Is there a way to hide hidden enemies in the combat view helper window? It feels very cheaty to me...
Currently, no.

Any specific combats in mind where there's hidden enemies?

Offline eXalted

« Reply #125 on: August 24, 2017, 07:38:50 AM »
I still haven't played any of the original games. I'm playing FRUA designs from very recently and now I stumbled on an invisible thief I think in Game05: B6, The Veiled Society (by Ray Dyer) FRUA module. I don't know how helpful this is though as this has nothing to do with the original Goldbox titles...

Offline jhirvonen

« Reply #126 on: August 24, 2017, 07:52:11 AM »
I still haven't played any of the original games. I'm playing FRUA designs from very recently and now I stumbled on an invisible thief I think in Game05: B6, The Veiled Society (by Ray Dyer) FRUA module. I don't know how helpful this is though as this has nothing to do with the original Goldbox titles...
Ok, thanks.
It would help if you could mail me a save file near that combat.

Offline eXalted

« Reply #127 on: September 25, 2017, 03:13:22 PM »
I will have to replay the module as I completed it :(

I'll make sure to complete it a second time soon and will send you a save. It's very short anyway.

Offline Mechanaut

« Reply #128 on: September 30, 2017, 10:47:30 PM »
I think that GBC (or SGE) could use the feature to clear negative spell effects, and/or restore drained levels.  One use that easily comes to mind would be preparing PCs for  export to the next game... from a save with drained PCs.    Another use would be to restore PCs who are passed the point (in a campaign) of returning to a temple; (perhaps making the game impossible to win).
« Last Edit: September 30, 2017, 10:50:33 PM by Mechanaut »

Offline jhirvonen

« Reply #129 on: October 01, 2017, 06:25:19 AM »
I think that GBC (or SGE) could use the feature to clear negative spell effects, and/or restore drained levels.  One use that easily comes to mind would be preparing PCs for  export to the next game... from a save with drained PCs.    Another use would be to restore PCs who are passed the point (in a campaign) of returning to a temple; (perhaps making the game impossible to win).

GBC's encamp - fix already fixes drained levels. You just have to enable it from the hud / settings:
FIX DRAIN = ON / OFF toggles whether to fix level drained characters when ENCAMP-FIX is used.
In Pool of Radiance, this works only if you use fix in the same game session where the characters were drained.

SGE can add/remove effects in most of the games.

Removing effects with GBC when the game is running is very difficult because the effects are linked lists and the games probably free the allocated memory for them etc.

Offline Mechanaut

« Reply #130 on: October 01, 2017, 03:21:00 PM »

Thank you jhirvonen, I hadn't seen that in the settings... GBC (on my PC) displays the fonts a bit too big for the buttons; several overlap each other.

In Pool of Radiance, this works only if you use fix in the same game session where the characters were drained.
Is it the same with Death Knights of Krynn?  I have tried it, but levels were not restored. The game was reloaded after being saved with the level drain.

SGE can add/remove effects in most of the games.
I see that SGE lists "drain 1 level" and "drain 2 levels" among the known effects, but none of my characters list level drain among their active effects. Two of my PCs are drained one level, another is drained four levels.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2017, 03:44:08 PM by Mechanaut »

Offline jhirvonen

« Reply #131 on: October 01, 2017, 09:35:37 PM »
Is it the same with Death Knights of Krynn?  I have tried it, but levels were not restored. The game was reloaded after being saved with the level drain.
No, I think it should work in DKoK but honestly can't remember right now. I can take a look if you mail a save game to me.

Most of the games store the pre-drained xp amount and highest experience levels per class in the character record and GBC uses this data to see if a character is drained and to fix it.

I see that SGE lists "drain 1 level" and "drain 2 levels" among the known effects, but none of my characters list level drain among their active effects. Two of my PCs are drained one level, another is drained four levels.
Being level drained is not a effect in the games (although GBC displays drains among the effect list in the HUD) so it can't be removed that way in the SGE. So, SGE can remove the other harmful effects but can not do anything to level drain.

Offline eXalted

« Reply #132 on: October 09, 2017, 08:21:44 AM »
Hmm, just finished The Veiled Society second time and there was no invisible enemy :O

Weeell, if I stumble on such enemy in a module I will write here.

Offline trbn

« Reply #133 on: October 11, 2017, 07:55:32 PM »
Why would the "Level up" button on the Level up dialog be ghosted in GBC for a character that is ready to level up?

GBC v2.34
(GOG) Curse of the Azure Bonds v1.3

Thanks!
Aaron
« Last Edit: October 11, 2017, 07:57:20 PM by trbn »

Offline jhirvonen

« Reply #134 on: October 11, 2017, 09:40:20 PM »
Why would the "Level up" button on the Level up dialog be ghosted in GBC for a character that is ready to level up?

GBC v2.34
(GOG) Curse of the Azure Bonds v1.3

With spellcasting classes you need to pick a spell from the spell list first.

If that's not the case, can you send me a save file?

anything