Author Topic: Can Players Change Combat Icons?  (Read 2714 times)

Offline nologgie

• Non-resident Non-expert
  • Dungeon Craft Tester
Re: Can Players Change Combat Icons?
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2011, 12:52:15 PM »
Yep. You could also delete all the usable spells.
Some days it just doesn't pay to gnaw through the straps.

Offline Nol Drek

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • Nol Drek's Web Site
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2016, 09:08:22 PM »
Gosh, I look away for one second and people are talking about adding feature requests in DC. Sorry, but unless Paul got sneaky and already did this, not going to happen until after version 1.0.

Besides, we can already do it in DC, I have even created a tutorial on how to do this:
http://manikus.reonis.com/files/DCTutorial_logicblockevent_iconindex.pdf

(Besides, if we are going to add one feature for changing graphics during the game, I think it should be to change the borders/frame. ;) )

Does this feature still work with the current version of DC? I tried doing what it says in the tutorial as follows:

1) Make an icon that has 4 poses, with total dimensions 192x48.
2) Use a logic block to "Set Icon Index by Name" with "Name=2".

In combat, the PC icon is wide - 96x48. The frame 1 "ready" and "action" pose show up, and when the PC attacks, it displays the frame 2 "ready" and "action" poses. I think DC is reading the 192x48 PC icon as a wide icon with 1 frame instead of as a normal icon with 2 frames.
"Into the Drachensgrab Mountains!"

http://www.noldrek.com

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2016, 02:53:36 PM »
I tried this before we hit 1.0, but not since. I'll look at it this weekend. It would not surprise me at all to find it is broken.

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2016, 02:45:55 PM »
There is a bug here, but not with Icon Index via Logic Block Event.
Nol, if you create an NPC or monster with more than one set of poses, it works fine - when adding image, set number of frames to appropriate number.
When adding an icon to the Icon Pool for use with creating new PCs, no matter what you set the frame count to, it always goes back to 2. And, as noted by Nol, it assumes that all icons are 48x48 in the icon preview during character creation, but will show the whole icon in combat, though no matter how many frames, the engine will tret it as 2 frames.

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2016, 03:30:07 PM »
paul has made a new editor, version 2.44 that fixes the Icon Index issue. :)
(Available at his site.)

Offline Milos Gulan

« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2016, 01:35:14 AM »
Thank You. :)

Offline SilentThief

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2016, 05:55:30 PM »
this is awesome. i have been wanting to see if I could get an idea which required icon changing to work. Now I gotta try.

ST the trying

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2016, 06:19:58 PM »
this is awesome. i have been wanting to see if I could get an idea which required icon changing to work. Now I gotta try.

ST the trying

The best part is that it works exactly the same way it has since .910 or there abouts. ;)

Offline Nol Drek

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • Nol Drek's Web Site
« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2017, 08:13:45 PM »
Over the weekend, I was able to get a Test character, named "Test" to change into a Werewolf.

I'm embarrassed to admit that it took me a year to figure out what I was doing wrong. I did not understand how logic block events work. I'll explain what I learned, in the hope that I can save the next person who tries to switch a character's combat icon some of the frustration which I experienced.

For each one of the inputs, A,B,D,F, and G, an empty literal string "" is interpreted as the boolean value "false". Any other literal string value, such as "1", "true", or "potato salad" is interpreted as the boolean value "true". Type something, literally anything, in one of the input boxes and leave everything else set to the default values. Then, in the "First Action" box, select "Set Icon Index by Name" in the drop down menu and, right below that, type the name of the character, equals, and the frame number. For example: "Dracula=2" or "Gandalf=2" or "Lon Chaney=2". You first need to have an icon that is a 192x48 image made up of 4 poses (Ready #1, Action #1, Ready #2, Action #2, in that order left to right).

As it is, this only will work for a party of pre-generated characters, where the designer knows ahead of time what the characters' names are. I wish that I could set the icon index for the active character or based on party index (marching order), but I'm happy that I finally can turn a human into a Werewolf!

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • Dinonykos Dungeon Craft
« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2017, 06:25:23 AM »
Dear Nol, maybe I completely misunderstood your problem, but could you not just have marked "always" in the "first action" section instead of adding something into the inputs? Or did the "1" in input B have a certain purpose?
Find four contributions to the Pre-Generated Character Mini-Module Design Contest on my homepage.
New: THE AMBASSADOR'S LETTER, my contribution to the 7-day-challenge.
DINONYKOS DUNGEON CRAFT DESIGN HOMEPAGE

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2017, 01:56:33 PM »
I was going to point out what Dinonyko already did. :D

Alsso, there are some functions that can help you, namely: $GET_PARTY_ACTIVECHAR() and $GET_CHAR_NAME( String ). So, if you want the active character to be the one changed into a werewolf, you would use:
$GET_CHAR_NAME($GET_PARTY_ACTIVECHAR())

Of coursse, you will have to make sure all of the player selectable icons have a werewolf option. :D

Offline Paul R. Stevens

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2017, 08:16:36 PM »
make sure all of the player selectable icons have a werewolf option.

Certainly, all such characters would have the "Werewolf" Special Ability.

Offline Nol Drek

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • Nol Drek's Web Site
« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2017, 10:02:29 PM »
Dear Nol, maybe I completely misunderstood your problem, but could you not just have marked "always" in the "first action" section instead of adding something into the inputs? Or did the "1" in input B have a certain purpose?

As I said, I did not understand how logic block events worked. I had been following manikus' tutorial exactly, so I was making my logic block look identical to the one in the tutorial, which was my mistake. Checking the "Always" radio button makes perfect sense.

I was going to point out what Dinonyko already did. :D

Alsso, there are some functions that can help you, namely: $GET_PARTY_ACTIVECHAR() and $GET_CHAR_NAME( String ). So, if you want the active character to be the one changed into a werewolf, you would use:
$GET_CHAR_NAME($GET_PARTY_ACTIVECHAR())

Of coursse, you will have to make sure all of the player selectable icons have a werewolf option. :D

Yes, all the PC icons in my icon pool have a Lycanthrope option.

I did not know that I could put a script into the box where I typed "Test=2". You are saying that I can type in "$GET_CHAR_NAME($GET_PARTY_ACTIVECHAR())=2" and it will work. I must try this at once... and then I will make the script choose a character at random instead.

« Last Edit: June 13, 2017, 10:04:39 PM by Nol Drek »

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #28 on: June 14, 2017, 12:28:05 PM »
I am sorry that my tutorial held you back...I am not the expert on Logic Blocks. Honestly, I owuld prefer to have an icon index function.

If what I suggested does not work, let me know and we'll work on it until it does work. ;)
These lycanthrope; all werewolves? Consider my curiosity piqued.

Offline Nol Drek

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • Nol Drek's Web Site
« Reply #29 on: June 14, 2017, 07:30:44 PM »
I am sorry that my tutorial held you back...I am not the expert on Logic Blocks.

Without your tutorial, I would not have known that this was even possible, let alone how to do it. I feel stupid that I couldn't tell if my own logic block event was evaluating to "true" or "false". Still, it would be helpful if the image in the tutorial was updated so that the logic block executes its first action "Always" instead of "If True".

These lycanthrope; all werewolves? Consider my curiosity piqued.

I'm not telling what I'm actually doing with the DC editor... but I imagine a designer could do many things with this, such as:

1) You could force a PC's appearance to change based on whether they are wielding a sword or a mace or an axe, and whether they are wearing robes or leather or plate armor.
2) You could make a PC put on a disguise when they enter the villain's hideout if they choose the stealth option over a frontal assault.
3) You could have a PC's icon show the gradual onset of Lycanthropy or Mummy Rot or Old Age by using a sequence of many frames instead of just 2.
4) You could make Billy Batson's icon turn into Captain Marvel by uttering the magic word "Shazam!".

anything