Author Topic: Fun in the Far West  (Read 2150 times)

Offline KTG

Fun in the Far West
« on: September 28, 2011, 09:53:26 AM »
Just got through the Far West series by Ray Dyer (West01 - 09) and had to mention it was many hours of fun adventuring.  Great series.  I've put reviews out for all of them in the review section.  Many of them didn't have reviews, which just didn't seem right.  Too good of modules to be passed over in the review section.

For no particular reason, I chose all Celtic / Gaelic names which I found on a website.  I just like the sound of those old names.
My party was as follows:
Deri Urien - Dwarf Fighter
Uilliam - Human Paladin
Aylwen - Human Ranger, dual classed to Cleric
Geneth Mirain - Human Cleric, dial classed to Mage
Bowen Cath - Halfling Thief
Elaeth Cynric - Elf Fighter/Mage

Besides some great adventuring, this group managed to navigate through the whole series without any of them dying even once.  A well balanced party.  They retire happily after saving the Far West from an evil army and its big bad leader.  Most of them are around 8th or 9th level.  Enjoyable.  Well worth it.

Offline Ray

Re: Fun in the Far West
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2011, 08:04:18 AM »

Wow...What an amazing surprise!

Thank you so much for your kind words!  It was interesting getting a picture of the style of game that appeals to you while reading through the reviews.  I think the Preserve may have been one of the most fun to create, too--Glad you liked it! 

You're right that the last game is the final one in the series, but that is mainly because the FRUA community stopped having contests.  While those contests were a regular event, I let them shape the arc of the series.  If a new contest came along, I might dust off the computer and bring the characters out of retirement again...If time allowed.  With my little girl occupying nearly all the time that work doesn't...well, it's not as easy as it once was!

I was surprised--pleasantly--that you found the combats to be on the easy side.  The first couple, in particular, were really challenging for my playtest groups, including the ones that I played.  I got wiped out a few times, especially against Paetrus.  It's so awesome that you got through ALL of them without any of your characters getting killed!

Thanks again for all your reviews!!!  You totally made my entire week!

Offline hans

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2011, 02:35:00 PM »
If a new contest came along, I might dust off the computer and bring the characters out of retirement again...If time allowed. 

I would certainly support initiating a new contest, even if only to see if we might get a handful of oldtimers, like you, to put on their designing caps again... 

(If there's further interest along these lines, I expect the thread should then be moved to the General Discussion board.)  ;)

Offline Ray

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2011, 06:41:00 PM »

Risking a threadjacking here by responding, I suppose, but I would be willing to commit to trying!  If the contest gives a theme, I'm sure I could come up with something along its lines...I just wouldn't want to be going that old road alone.  Part of the fun of the contests was playing everyone else's games, too!   ;) 

Offline nologgie

• Non-resident Non-expert
  • Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2011, 09:30:40 PM »
I second the threadjacking, and nominate Ray, or hans, or both, to come up with the theme and rules. If the deadline is at least two months from now and the rules are not too difficult, I promise to submit an entry, whether I'm satisfied with it or not.

I also offer a lame and feeble stab at addressing the original topic by stating that I think the contest would be FUN, and that, by my reckoning, hans lives in the Far West.
Some days it just doesn't pay to gnaw through the straps.

Offline KTG

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2011, 02:00:54 PM »
Ray, glad I made your week.  Yeah, I didn't think Paetrus was so tough, but there were several tough fights in later modules.  Like the big blue dragon in the last one.  Two rounds in a row a character was hit with breath and made their save (different char each time).  Better to be lucky than good sometimes.
And it appears I've inadvertantly inspired a new contest.  Very cool!

Offline Ray

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2011, 03:56:06 PM »

Totally!

And it looks like you may have another Far West adventure to play...something about winter, and probably retirement.  Hmm...That gives me an idea...  ;D