Poll

What is your favorite three D&D settings?

Forgotten Realms
14 (25%)
Greyhawk
7 (12.5%)
Dragonlance
12 (21.4%)
Ravenloft
3 (5.4%)
Mystara
2 (3.6%)
Planescape
6 (10.7%)
Dark Sun
2 (3.6%)
Lankhmar
0 (0%)
Kara-Tur
5 (8.9%)
Al-Quadim
2 (3.6%)
Birthright
0 (0%)
Spelljammer
2 (3.6%)
Other
1 (1.8%)

Total Members Voted: 21

Voting closed: February 09, 2009, 02:14:21 PM

Author Topic: POLL: D&D Settings  (Read 5595 times)

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
Re: POLL: D&D Settings
« Reply #30 on: February 02, 2009, 02:25:32 AM »
4th Edition isn't any more new than 3rd Edition was to 2nd Edition.

And, actually, 4th Edition is more a return to the original, as a lot of multi-class cheese that was introduced in 3rd has been mostly wiped away.

Besides, I love the fact that wizards never run out of spells...that's something that D&D has needed since the beginning.
LANDS OF ADVENTURE: An Old-School Style CRPG

More Information Here: http://landsadventure.blogspot.com/

Mycrose

« Reply #31 on: February 02, 2009, 02:42:36 AM »
Yes, as wizards were so underpowered before.

And all those healing surges, so nobody has to play a heal bot. (Well that could easily be said is just giving them more hit points just differently wrapped)

Also 4th edition is the first D&D version were there is no official way to upgrade your characters to.

(Also for 3rd Edition they did change the name to indicate that it is different, they could have gone and called 4th edition "Advanced" once again)

And all the multiclass cheese before could have been avoided with obeying simple rules from previous editions.
Class bonuses do not stack. (Much better then XP penalties, and it would have been consistent with the internal thing of bonuses from the same source do not stack)
And of course there is no need for classes like Ninjas, samurais etc.
Those are just different names for already existing base classes

ah, I want AD&D Edition 2.5 ;)

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
« Reply #32 on: February 02, 2009, 09:43:00 AM »
Have you actually played the game?  I only ask because I frequently hear these kinds of complaints from people who have only read the books and not actually played it...

Anyway:

Yes, as wizards were so underpowered before.

A 1st-level wizard with his single "Sleep" spell was mightily underpowered.  Getting to 2nd level didn't improve things much.  At least in 4th Edition, they have many options.

And all those healing surges, so nobody has to play a heal bot. (Well that could easily be said is just giving them more hit points just differently wrapped)

Healing surges aren't all they're cracked up to be.  You only get back 1/4th of your hit points.  If you only have 40 hit points, that's just 10...and in the middle of combat, it may not be enough.  Clerics aren't completely useless.

Healing surges make a form of sense, really, when one considers them to be "adreneline surges," as hit points are a reflection of the beating the body is taking and the level of fatigue.  Remember, most damage in D&D isn't actual physical damage.  That was true even in 1st Edition.

ah, I want AD&D Edition 2.5 ;)

Well, everyone has a different opinion on D&D, and I won't belittle yours.  I don't mind slipping into a group playing 1st Edition anymore than I mind running a 4th Edition game.  There are benefits to every edition, and I've liked them all for different reasons...so I won't pick one over the other...as I've experienced them all.

However, there is nothing keeping you from playing an older edition.  I still have my old books...even my Basic ones...just in case someone wants to play those instead.  I find that D&D is still D&D, regardless of which rule version you're playing.  And, at it's core, 4th Edition still feels like D&D to me.

Offline Vix

• Mmmm ... Spider Slushies!
  • Administrator
« Reply #33 on: February 02, 2009, 11:13:43 AM »
Still not going to debate, but ...

I agree with Ben's last comments. 4E still plays and feels like D&D to me, as well.

Offline Merle

« Reply #34 on: February 02, 2009, 07:50:29 PM »
At least we can all agree that nobody likes the Birthright setting.

I like the concept of the Birthright setting, but I've never looked at any of the supplements.  I am playing around with an idea of a NWN module that involves juggling kingdom management with adventuring, which is kind of the same thing.  I even started the idea back with UA, but I don't think it could have been done as well with the text and variable limitations.

Offline Olivier Leroux

• Administrator
  • Yip, yip, yip!
« Reply #35 on: February 02, 2009, 08:42:07 PM »
I like the concept of the Birthright setting, but I've never looked at any of the supplements.  I am playing around with an idea of a NWN module that involves juggling kingdom management with adventuring, which is kind of the same thing.  I even started the idea back with UA, but I don't think it could have been done as well with the text and variable limitations.

Sounds nice, please keep us up-to-date if you decide to do that.  :)
Would that be your first NWN mod or did you already release something else?

Offline Merle

« Reply #36 on: February 02, 2009, 09:13:58 PM »

Sounds nice, please keep us up-to-date if you decide to do that.  :)
Would that be your first NWN mod or did you already release something else?

I will!  It would be my first published NWN mod.  I've done a lot of writing, scripting, hacking, etc., but it's for a semi-weekly campaign I run.  So the only folks that have ever played or even seen any modules I made are the seven players in my campaign. :)

Mycrose

« Reply #37 on: February 03, 2009, 01:23:23 AM »
Just to make sure we don't get into an edition war, this will be the last post I make on this topic..

In my opinion D&D 3rd was already losing it.
It was changing to become more like all the other roleplaying games out there.

One of the main reasons I ever played the original or Advanced dungeons and dragons was in breaks from regular campaigns, when we wanted something easy fo a change.

Now in AD&D creating a level 14 throw away villain would have taken about a minute. (No need to fill out the proficiencies when he won't be around long enough to use them)

And that is something that gets lost with all those newer shinier games.

(And also for your 1st level wizard in D&D 3rd, he has more as 1 sleep spell, unless you have chosen to start the game with an int of 10. Sure in AD&D he was weak, that is why he needed less XP than a fighter to level up until around level 10)

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
« Reply #38 on: February 03, 2009, 09:50:16 AM »
It was changing to become more like all the other roleplaying games out there.

The irony of this is pretty amazing, considering all those other games owe everything to D&D in the first place.

Mycrose

« Reply #39 on: February 04, 2009, 10:57:26 AM »
Yes indeed.
But we live in a strange world.

But lets force the thread back on topic.

Is the hollow world a campaign setting on its own, or do we count it as part of Mystarra?

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
« Reply #40 on: February 04, 2009, 01:03:01 PM »
Well, if we count Kara-Tur and Al-Quadim separate (and they're part of the Forgotten Realms), then you could count Hollow World as separate.

Anything that had it's own supplement books is probably a world unto it's own.