Poll

What is your favorite three D&D settings?

Forgotten Realms
14 (25%)
Greyhawk
7 (12.5%)
Dragonlance
12 (21.4%)
Ravenloft
3 (5.4%)
Mystara
2 (3.6%)
Planescape
6 (10.7%)
Dark Sun
2 (3.6%)
Lankhmar
0 (0%)
Kara-Tur
5 (8.9%)
Al-Quadim
2 (3.6%)
Birthright
0 (0%)
Spelljammer
2 (3.6%)
Other
1 (1.8%)

Total Members Voted: 21

Voting closed: February 09, 2009, 02:14:21 PM

Author Topic: POLL: D&D Settings  (Read 5593 times)

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
POLL: D&D Settings
« on: January 25, 2009, 12:08:43 AM »
Choose your favorite setting for D&D games of any kind (paper or computer).
LANDS OF ADVENTURE: An Old-School Style CRPG

More Information Here: http://landsadventure.blogspot.com/

Offline DesertScrb

• Another day, another dungeon.
    • Super Galactic Dreadnought blog
Re: POLL: D&D Settings
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2009, 12:10:55 AM »
My favorite is Greyhawk, for nostalgia and general aesthetics.

Offline Olivier Leroux

• Administrator
  • Yip, yip, yip!
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2009, 06:38:58 AM »
He he, guess what I voted for!   ;)
« Last Edit: January 25, 2009, 07:01:01 AM by Olivier Leroux »

Offline AmigaDave

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2009, 11:38:37 AM »
I will have to wait to answer this poll, until I have a chance to take a look at all of the choices.  I really liked FR when I first played POR, but I don't have any D&D experience, other than through SSI's Goldbox games.  Unlike my younger brother, who spent his youth playing the paper & pen versions of D&D well into the wee hours of the morning very often.  He has suggested that I should play NWN, which I plan to look at some day.
Willing to work for a better FRUA community and MORE MODS!

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2009, 06:05:12 PM »
You don't have to base your decision on what the current state of those settings are.  If you liked Forgotten Realms once better than anything else, you should vote that way.  If you liked Ravenloft a whole lot years ago, maybe vote that way.

I'm just suggesting you pick your favorite one of all-time (whether it's for gaming, the novels, the computer games...whatever).

Personally, I always loved the Forgotten Realms.  That's what I voted for.

Offline hans

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2009, 06:25:00 PM »
This is a toughie.  I've enjoyed playing Goldbox AD&D and DragonLance.  I also liked SSI's later Ravenloft and Darksun games. 

Of course, my inclinations have ever been to chose "the road less travelled," and to "root for the underdog."  So, I'll probably choose one of the less popular options, just to encourage possible authors of one of those... 

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2009, 07:57:10 PM »
Due to the issues of picking *just one* of the settings...I'm going to go ahead and do what I should have done in the beginning, and allow everyone to pick their *three* favorite settings.

Feel free to remove your vote and select again.  That should keep anyone from feeling they are backed into a corner (as I also have loved Dragonlance, I feel maybe it should be included alongside Forgotten Realms in my vote).

NOTE: You do not have to vote for 3 if you only prefer 1 or 2.

Offline Uatu

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • World's Edge
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2009, 08:15:26 PM »
I like (1e) Greyhawk for its aesthetics, flavor, and general theme - its vagueness is also good for DMs who don't want to buy everything.
(2e) Forgotten Realms is good for its vast amount of material (and sub-campaigns, like desert, arctic, and underwater), although it is sometimes a little corny.
(1e) Dragonlance was also a lot of fun with its own particular world (kender, Solamnic knights, and white/red/black-robed wizards) and heroic theme, and I liked Larry Elmore's renditions of it.
More Dungeon Craft Art at my Web Page: http://dhost.info/uatu

Offline DesertScrb

• Another day, another dungeon.
    • Super Galactic Dreadnought blog
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2009, 08:47:13 PM »
I revised my vote.  In addition to Greyhawk, my favorite settings are Forgotten Realms (because of the Gold Box games and the original Neverwinter Nights on AOL and DragonLance (because of the Gold Box games and the original trilogy of novels).

Offline Olivier Leroux

• Administrator
  • Yip, yip, yip!
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2009, 10:33:16 PM »
In addition to Planescape and Ravenloft (both partially because of the mystery aspects and the dark and adult themes as opposed to heroic fantasy) I lend my third vote to Others now, thinking about Oriental Adventures.  :)

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2009, 10:41:43 PM »
You know, it occurs to me that I could add things like Al-Quadim and Kara-Tur.  Should these be added?

Offline hans

« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2009, 10:45:45 PM »
I would change one of my votes to Kara-Tur.

Offline Olivier Leroux

• Administrator
  • Yip, yip, yip!
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2009, 10:57:49 PM »
Why not? You could also add Spelljammer, Birthright, Lankhmar etc. The question is whether anyone will vote for those - but you never know unless you try. And they can't do any worse than Mystara...  :D

But yes, although I only knew it as Oriental Adventures when I participated in a few pen & paper sessions as a youth I guess I was referring to Kara-Tur.

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2009, 01:18:31 AM »
Okay...I've added everything suggested...hopefully this will be the last time we monkey with this list.

In order to make it all come out even, I have reset all votes to ZERO and reset the poll.  Everyone needs to vote again for the votes to count (sorry!).

Offline Paddi Whisperleaf

• World-spanning gnome of the UA realms
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2009, 12:21:17 PM »
Why not? You could also add Spelljammer, Birthright, Lankhmar etc. The question is whether anyone will vote for those - but you never know unless you try. And they can't do any worse than Mystara...  :D

But yes, although I only knew it as Oriental Adventures when I participated in a few pen & paper sessions as a youth I guess I was referring to Kara-Tur.
Oh, Mystara's not so bad, you know.  I've been there a couple of times.  You'd be amazed at how well-travelled we gnomes are.  I must say, I thought that Toril was stuffed full of wizards.  Then I visited Glantri.  You can't turn around without running into a stuffed-shirt noble who thinks he's the rakasta's pyjamas just because he knows a couple of spells.  It reminded me of Waterdeep, only moreso.

Of course, we gnomes have magic of our own, but those Glantrians have the nerve to treat us as third-class citizens, if they even acknowledge us at all!  One of them even suggested that he wanted to do some 'experimenting' on me!  I saw the look in his eyes; I'm sure that 'experiments' are as close as he's ever gotten to a woman before.  Fortunately he didn't realize that gnomish magic is very effective against idiot wizards.  In this case, my magic consisted of kicking him in the leg, then hitting him over the head with a convenient vase.  I hope it wasn't worth too much.  If it was worth as much as him, then no art objects were damaged in the encounter.

Mystara has a lot of other interesting places.  Do you know how much money there is in Darokin?  They actually choose their leaders based on how much money they've earned.  Now that sounds quite sensible to me.  I wonder if they'd consider a gnome as a possible leader?
An amateur practices until he gets it right; a professional practices until he can't get it wrong.